• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Almost purchased the 8X42 HD Golden Rings (1 Viewer)

Passive

Cabela's just opened not 10 minutes away from my house. Visited them on opening day and looked through the 10X42 HD and 8X42 HD Leupold Golden Rings along with a set of my HG Swarovski 7X42 SLC. Also looked through the 8.5X42 ELs. A few years ago I made the comment that I thought the 10X42 non-HD model was amazing and possibly the best out there. I didn't think much about the 8X42s at the time. The 8X42s in HD trim are absolutely stunning. In resolution, contrast, stability (weight), and image flatness, it bested both of the Swarovski binoculars to my eyes. Only issue, and the reason I decided not to plunk down the $1350 immediately on these is that panning caused me to feel a bit queezy unlike the 7X42 SLCs. I'm still scratching my head on this one. These may become my HG. I am hoping someone with more experience can do a good review and also tell me what optic property is causing me queeziness during the pan. Also, is Swarovski ever going to go the HD route with their glass on the 7X42s?

Hello Passive,

You might want to post this in either the Swaro or general section, also...might get some quick replies.

I'm stumped on your reaction to panning. Can you describe the view? Could it have been an inner ear or blood sugar problem?

Last edited:
Could this be what is described as the "rolling ball" effect? I've never experienced it but it clearly exists with some people. I understand that sometimes it disappears after a day or so.
Bob

The rolling ball

I will let you know when they arrive. I found a very good deal that I just couldn't pass up and purchased a set. Sold my Swarovski 7X42 SLCs. Hope I made the right decision.

I am hoping someone ... and also tell me what optic property is causing me queeziness during the pan.

If you feel that the Swaro does not behave that way, I would guess it is called "pincushion" distortion. Eg. Leica binoculars have it more and it is supposed to prevent "rolling ball" or barrelling effect. People usually get used to both barrelling and pincushioning and they only notice it in direct comparisons. I think I have had the same feeling when I have used the wide-angled Zeiss 20-60x scope after my Swaro.

Best regards,

Ilkka

BTW, I see Cabelas is selling these at a very big discount in their Bargain Cave, almost 50%. They show as backordered, but at least that is not "sold out." What is the focus speed like on these--i.e., fast or slow?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back