• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Videoscoping Set-up with Nikon FSA-L2 (1 Viewer)

Muratfaik

Hi everyone,

Recently I came back to my home from a long project trip and find some time to play with my digiscoping toys. Today I established this configuration. The main component in this set up is the Nikon FSA-L2. It is an interesting device and in my opinion it can be used in many digiscoping and macro set-ups.

At first I thought It is basically a photo adapter in a wide tube and the optical part moves in this tube. But actually it is a bit more complex than that. I think it contain Nikon's zoom lens mechanism (Can somebody confirm this?). Although Mr David Rodrigues in his website (http://www.pt-ducks.com/) says that "..isn't possible to use all zoom range since the focus range of the lens isn't enough-" for a 300mm f2.8 lens+Nikon FSA-L2+a Binoviewer, I think if he would add an 50mm extension tube between the lens and the Nikon FSA-L2, he could get a more useful set up.

Anyway my set up consist of a lens (Zuiko 200mm f5), some Nikon extension tubes (totally circa 50 mm in length), Nikon FSA-L2 device and Showtime 35mm adapter. Normally I can use this set up without Nikon FSA-L2 and extension tubes. But adding this components gives me a proper (not upside down) view and an extra 3.5X zoom. Of course it loses some light when zoom in but it gives me zooming option when it requires without changing any component.

It adds extra 20m cm length, but also some advantages. I am not sure if I will use it in my footages. I did not test with my with my leica and other high quality lenses yet. But as may smallest tele lens the ollympus 200mm f5 lens gives me 14X magnification (3.5X from Nikon and 4X from Olympus). Together with camcorder's 18X tele (12X optical plus %50 digital) 8820 mm (630mmX14X) is achieveble. I tested in very low light at full zoom and result was poor due to the very low f number of he total system. But in dim light the footages were quite good at Nikon's 1X zoom setting so that I thought Nikon device corrected the Olympus lens's Chromatic aberration. The sharpness was very good. There was no CA and it was quite fun to use. Finally some footages from my recent trip (First 7 footages, all with Showtime+Canon 300mm Fl-f 5.6):

http://vimeo.com/channels/murat

Murat Ozcelik

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 110
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back