• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera MP (1 Viewer)

Nonics

Hi

I am to buy a new camera, by time i want to buy a digiscope.
Is the number of pixels crucial for the quality of pictures using a scope ?

Sincerely

Number of pixels matters no more in digiscoping than it does in normal photography. Of far more importance when choosing a camera for digiscoping is whether or not its lens is able to produce a vignette-free view when placed against a scope eyepiece.

David

Hi

I am to buy a new camera, by time i want to buy a digiscope.
Is the number of pixels crucial for the quality of pictures using a scope ?

Sincerely

You can find cameras that will give excellent images from 8 - 24 megs files. More important is the vignetting with the lens on the eyepiece and the iso that can be used without noise.
The lens you are looking for is as close to 35 -112 mm as you can get with a lens that doesn't keep retracting into the camera body as you zoom out eg Canon G series.
The new Sony RX100's lens is 28 -100 mm , with a 20 meg sensor. It works well.
Neil.

You can find cameras that will give excellent images from 8 - 24 megs files. More important is the vignetting with the lens on the eyepiece and the iso that can be used without noise.
The lens you are looking for is as close to 35 -112 mm as you can get with a lens that doesn't keep retracting into the camera body as you zoom out eg Canon G series.
The new Sony RX100's lens is 28 -100 mm , with a 20 meg sensor. It works well.
Neil.

Thank you davpen and Neil for your answers.
Right now im considering Nikon D3200 and Samsung NX1000.

Which scope do you guys use ?

Thank you davpen and Neil for your answers.
Right now im considering Nikon D3200 and Samsung NX1000.

Which scope do you guys use ?

I use Swarovski and Kowa with various eyepieces. I like the Nikon V1 on the Swarovski 25-50 zoom for distance and the Kowa 30x and the Sony RX100 and Fuji X100.
I don't use DSLRs for digiscoping as they are heavy and have vibration from mirror slap. The Micro 4/3 cameras are good though.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back