• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do people have their swaro's routinely serviced? (1 Viewer)

Have to agree with Chuck and other members. As the saying goes, if it isn't broke, don't fix it! ;)

Ted
I don't know a binocular could get out of whack and a normal person might not know it. You can see if it is way out of collimation or the diopter is way off but you might not notice it if something just shifted a little. My 10x50 SV's came back sharper from Swarovski after getting them serviced and I thought the optics were fine when I sent them in. There are quite a few moving parts and things that can move on a binocular that can affect their performance.

I don't know a binocular could get out of whack and a normal person might not know it. You can see if it is way out of collimation or the diopter is way off but you might not notice it if something just shifted a little. My 10x50 SV's came back sharper from Swarovski after getting them serviced and I thought the optics were fine when I sent them in. There are quite a few moving parts and things that can move on a binocular that can affect their performance.

Let us know how you get on sending the Tract in for service when its needed ;)

You just forgot how good they were, while you were using something inferior, so when they came back you though they were better than when you sent them off.

Last edited:
You just forgot how good they were, while you were using something inferior, so when they came back you though they were better than when you sent them off.
No. I noticed a big improvement in the sharpness when they came back from Swarovski and the focuser was a lot smoother for awhile. I ultimately did replace them with the Canon 10x42 IS-L which I felt had equal optics with no RB, a much SMOOTHER focus and better glare control plus they had a steady tripod like view with the IS. Easy choice. If I had a 12 year Swarovski I would definitely send it in for service. Swarovski will probably update it, put new armour on it, collimate it and possibly not charge you anything. A no brainer.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back