• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Asahi Pentax 10 x 50 Binoculars - Any Good? (1 Viewer)

turumti

Dear Friends,

I have recently been offered a pair of used, but well maintained Asahi Pentax 10 x 50 Binoculars. These binoculars have a 5.5 degree Field of View, and according to the seller they are fully multicoated. (These are Porro prism binos).

The lenses have an amber tinge to them and the image through these glasses apears slightly bluish green. (The seller says that the lenses have anti-glare coating on them).

These binoculars have a full metal body and are supplied with a a hard case. The serial number engraved on the right monocular is No. 4835854.

I have tried, but in vain, to obtain some more information about these binoculars. So is there anyone here, who can provide me some information about these binoculars, and tell me what their specifications and features are in terms of lenses, prisms, image clarity and definition etc, and if they are really worth paying USD 120.00 for?

Thanking you all in advance.
With best regards,

Salman Ali

If you have never looked through those binoculars, don't buy them. The view is soooo blue, they feel like a pair of cheap sunglasses. If you can live with the blue image, $120 is a bit too much

turumti said:
Dear Friends,

I have recently been offered a pair of used, but well maintained Asahi Pentax 10 x 50 Binoculars. These binoculars have a 5.5 degree Field of View, and according to the seller they are fully multicoated. (These are Porro prism binos).

The lenses have an amber tinge to them and the image through these glasses apears slightly bluish green. (The seller says that the lenses have anti-glare coating on them).

These binoculars have a full metal body and are supplied with a a hard case. The serial number engraved on the right monocular is No. 4835854.

I have tried, but in vain, to obtain some more information about these binoculars. So is there anyone here, who can provide me some information about these binoculars, and tell me what their specifications and features are in terms of lenses, prisms, image clarity and definition etc, and if they are really worth paying USD 120.00 for?

Thanking you all in advance.
With best regards,

Salman Ali

Don't buy them for birdwatching. Although they may have some historical interest you'll be far better off with the Nikon Actions 8x40 which are being practically given away at http://www.warehouseexpress.com/.

Regards

Ian

ikw101 said:
Don't buy them for birdwatching. Although they may have some historical interest you'll be far better off with the Nikon Actions 8x40 which are being practically given away at http://www.warehouseexpress.com/.

Regards

Ian
Hi, The only reference to "Asahi" Pentax binoculars with the specifications you list, is in cataloguing from the mid 1960's. Therefore it would be extremely unlikely that they would be multi-coated. They are also stated to have a "Coated Interference Filter" which is said to eliminate ultraviolet and infrared light rays which may be harmful to the eyes, which, no doubt, was what interfered with Luca when he looked through a pair of them! I also agree with Ian, they may be of some historical interest, but for the money you can find several bins that would be superior to them for birding.
Regards, John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back