• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

As someone who is now just starting to get back into birdwatching and photography after 20 or so years I was wanting some pointers. Im a member of Myfuji a site/forum for Fuji camera users and at the moment the big thing among the birders is to get a shot of a Kingfisher.

Ive live in Spennymoor, Co.Durham and have been to Low Barnes nature reserve in Witton-Le-Wear a few times but have so far havent had any luck. Was wondering if anyone can give me any more locations in the North East where I could see and possibly photograph one. Many thanks.

As someone who is now just starting to get back into birdwatching and photography after 20 or so years I was wanting some pointers. Im a member of Myfuji a site/forum for Fuji camera users and at the moment the big thing among the birders is to get a shot of a Kingfisher.

Ive live in Spennymoor, Co.Durham and have been to Low Barnes nature reserve in Witton-Le-Wear a few times but have so far havent had any luck. Was wondering if anyone can give me any more locations in the North East where I could see and possibly photograph one. Many thanks.

Which hide do you go into at Low Barns.The best one is the West hide which is the one nearest to the car park.Last year was a bit of a hit and miss time but the year before was brilliant.If you have a look at my photo`s in the gallery the Kingfishers were taken at Low Barns.They are not perfect but not bad.All I can say is keep persevering.I was sat 3 hours before the one photographed turned up. Good luck

Graham

Last edited:
Which hide do you go into at Low Barns.The best one is the West hide which is the one nearest to the car park.Last year was a bit of a hit and miss time but the year before was brilliant.If you have a look at my photo`s in the gallery the Kingfishers were taken at Low Barns.They are not perfect but not bad.All I can say is keep persevering.I was sat 3 hours before the one photographed turned up. Good luck

Graham

Graham, thank you.

......<snip>....... at the moment the big thing among the birders is to get a shot of a Kingfisher.

Hi
you neednt bother trailing all the way over to Witton !
Kingfisher resident on all middle & lower stretches of the R.Wear.
Closest birds to you:- Page Bank to Sundland Bridge stretch
Theres plenty of other info in the Local Patch section "Durham Birding"
Remember, Kingfisher is protected under Schedule 1 of Wildlife & Countryside Act & they're busy nesting now.
Late Summer provides the best opportunities, ie when there are numerous young birds about.
cheers
SteveE

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back