• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone using a Pentax FA 100-300 4.7-5.8 AF Lens? (1 Viewer)

amelia1730

Can anyone tell me if the Pentax FA 100-300mm 4.7-5.8 AF is a good lens please and whether it would be suitable for wildlife photography. Can't find much in the way of reviews or info. There is one for sale on a well known auction site at the moment.

Many thanks
Amelia

Thanks for your reply. I posted a reply on Tuesday but it seems to have vanished in cyberspace!

I ended up buying a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro in the end. Thanks for that interesting link anyway - I have bookmarked it.

I am pleased with the lens so far apart from a slight stiffness when initially turning the barrel of the telephoto. Not sure if this will loosen with time or if I should return it. Any opinions?

Many thanks
Amelia

Thanks for your reply. I posted a reply on Tuesday but it seems to have vanished in cyberspace!

I ended up buying a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro in the end. Thanks for that interesting link anyway - I have bookmarked it.

I am pleased with the lens so far apart from a slight stiffness when initially turning the barrel of the telephoto. Not sure if this will loosen with time or if I should return it. Any opinions?

Many thanks
Amelia

I have the same lens. If by "barrel" you mean the zoom ring than my lens is also a bit stiff. The focus ring should be smooth unless you are trying to use manual focus and the camera is set to autofocus. After all it's only a 200 buck plastic lens not an $800 all metal glass.

My main complaint is that it's pretty soft at 300mm especially at the edges of the field. Back down to 200-250mm and it's decent.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back