• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ed spotting scopes (1 Viewer)

peter5

Hi everyone, can anyone tell me a good ed spotting scope for a new bird watcher, also do every ed scopes have the same Specifacations in features, I know that they vary in siege etc. Any help would be appreciated. regards peter.

Hello Peter,
On behalf of the staff, welcome to the Birdforum. You might get more responses to this on the optics subforums so I have moved your post there.
Best of luck in your search for a scope,

Peter,

The question that always comes up is how much are you willing to spend on the product. There are now a variety of ED spotting scopes in various price ranges. I would like to say though that there are several companies that you might have available to you over there that we do not over here.

Having said that, here are the scopes that I am at least vaguely familiar with and their respective price points....

Least Expensive ED scope....

Celestron Ultima ED (available in 65, 80 and 100 mm sizes). Prices range from the mid-$300s US for the 65 to the mid $500s US for the 100 mm size.

Celestron Regal F-ED (same three size ranges). Prices range from $420-$700 US.

Orion ULX ED 65 mm spotter - Mid-$400s

Bushnell FLP ED 65 and 80 mm spotters - $400 and $500 approximately

Vortex Skyline ED 80 mm - $500

Minox MD 62 ED -$800

Pentax 65, 80 and 100 mm ED models - $700-$1200 approximately

Nikon Fieldscope III ED 50, 60 and 82 mm models $600, $1100 and $1200 respectively

Meopta Meostar 75 mm - $1400

Vortex Razor HD 85 mm - $1600

Zeiss 65 and 85 Diascopes - $2100 and $2400 plus a $150 rebate

Swarovski 65 and 80 mm ED models - several models available depending on what the scope body is made out of. The models just recently discontinued can be had for around $1900-$2100 after the sale/rebate. The newer version is slightly more expensive than the original prices.

Kowa ED models (lots of different configurations....60 mm, 65 mm, 77 mm and 88 mm) Prices vary across a large range. Their high end model is comparable in price to the Zeiss and Swaros depending on where you purchase it.

Leica ED models. Most recent units selll for close to $3400 if not more from what I remember.

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone, can anyone tell me a good ed spotting scope for a new bird watcher, also do every ed scopes have the same Specifacations in features, I know that they vary in siege etc. Any help would be appreciated. regards peter.

Hi Peter,

The main thing is to decide what your budget is and don't rush into a decision. Take your time and you will more than likely be happy with what you decide to buy.
Google some of Frank's list and you'll soon see what the price range of the scopes is.
Do lots of research on here and the internet to see what your choices are. Also Birdwatch and Birdwatching magazines usually have a lot of adverts in that can be useful.
Once you have a worked out a shortlist of scopes, search for them here on the BF forums and see what other people think of them.
Then find shops near you that you can try some out at. Some shops have field days at nature reserves so you can try optics out in the field, as it were (e.g. Kay Optical and In-Focus but there are plenty of other retailers so shop around).
Always try before you buy if you can.

Some things to consider are:

Weight and size- a big scope can be too much on a long days birding with lots of walking. Also the bigger the scope, the bigger and heavier the tripod you will need to support it. (Don't forget to include a decent tripod in your budget).

What magnification? Do you prefer zoom or fixed eyepieces? Make sure you try the scopes with the similar eyepieces on them. If you compare a scope with a high mag against one with a low mag, that's not a fair comparison.
Also does tha manufacturer have a large choice of e/ps. Some do and some don't. A choice of e/ps can really open up your scopes potential. Sometimes you want low mag and wide field if view, sometimes you want high mag for distant birds.

Check the specifications of scopes for the field of view for different eyepieces. Generally the wider the fov, the better. It's usually given in metres per 1000 metres.

Secondhand is a good option if you want to get a better scope for your budget, of course.

Although Frank's list is comprehensive, he hasn't mentioned Opticron. A major brand over here but not sold in the USA. They have a very good reputation for making a huge range of low, medium and higher priced optics, and have good aftersales service should your scope ever need repairing.
They make GS, ES and HR scopes with ED elements (Woah- too many capital letters ;) )
Have a look at their website, it has lots of pictures and tables of figures to help you see what the differences are. They give suggested retail prices too but in the shops the scopes are usually selling for quite a bit less so these are just a guide.

One last thing- just to be clear, I'm not linked in any way to Opticron or the shops I have mentioned. There are plenty of other options so shop around.

Happy hunting

Thanks for hitting the other side of his question Martin. I sort of missed that issue about standardized specs...ie, do they come with a zoom or fixed power eyepiece, are the specs on each of those, weight, etc... all the same......

Opitcron was the one company I was thining of when I made that one comment initially. I see them commented on frequently as well as those RS-something bins but have yet to handle either.

Thanks for hitting the other side of his question Martin. I sort of missed that issue about standardized specs...ie, do they come with a zoom or fixed power eyepiece, are the specs on each of those, weight, etc... all the same......

Opitcron was the one company I was thining of when I made that one comment initially. I see them commented on frequently as well as those RS-something bins but have yet to handle either.

Hi Frank,

I figured you hadn't forgotten Opticron, you just don't know them as they don't sell in the US.
What do you mean RS- something bins? I'm intrigued.

Peter,

I thought of something else I should of mentioned. You need to consider the eye relief of any eyepiece you choose. This is definitley something that you can only be sure about by trying before you buy. Especially if you wear glasses.
Also, apologies for the fact that I recommended Kay Optical for their field days- they are miles away from you. Doh! I don't know where the nearest Infocus to you is. They have a lot of shops so there may well be one nearby. Is there one at Martin Mere?

Best wishes,
Martin.

I own a Vixen Geoma 80mmED ,very good scope in a decent price range ,lots of quality eyepieces available ,also made by vixen..vixen is a japanese company with a great reputation in the astronomy market,....The Geoma PRO ED was mentioned in the in/famous Cornell optics report as one the best in their class/price...Mine is the older version and since Opticron was mentioned,I am almost certain this scope was also sold in the UK by Opticron as the IMAGIC ED80..very good value

I own a Vixen Geoma 80mmED ,very good scope in a decent price range ,lots of quality eyepieces available ,also made by vixen..vixen is a japanese company with a great reputation in the astronomy market,....The Geoma PRO ED was mentioned in the in/famous Cornell optics report as one the best in their class/price...Mine is the older version and since Opticron was mentioned,I am almost certain this scope was also sold in the UK by Opticron as the IMAGIC ED80..very good value

Ive heard/read (probably here on BF) that Vixen/Opticron have some optics in common.
The Imagic scopes are no longer available new but could make a good secondhand buy.

Mayoayo,
I have just found this page on the internet.

http://www.vixenoptics.com/binoculars/GEOMA2_67_

The Vixen scope here looks like an Opticron GS665 to me. I used to own one. Very good scope for the money.
The Geoma 52 as the same as the Opticron Might Midget 2 as well.
Looks to me like Vixen are to the US what Opticron are to the UK.

Pete,

If you follow the link above and then follow the link within the article there's an interesting comparison chart that may help you with your decision. Some of the scopes in it are only available in the Us though.

I bought a used Opticron ES80 ED today. For £450. Another very good scope for the money. I think you should try one out. Could be what your looking for if you're not worried too much about size and weight. You can get one brand new for £600 with stay on case and tripod. The whole kit in one bundle.

Last edited:
I don't know where in Lancashire you are, but In Focus have a shop at Martin Mere Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust and there is also an RSPB shop at Leighton Moss (they will sell other brands than RSPB).
If you go to either of these places you can actually use a scope to look at birds, which is really by far the best way to decide what you want. You can also have a good day out whilst you are at it. There may be other showrooms closer to you, but try to find one where you can get a decent view.
Take into account the type of birding you are likely to do. If you are going to do a fair amount of walking don't get a big, heavy scope. It'll need a heavy tripod to go with it. Tripods are a whole subject of their own!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back