Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 14th December 2009, 21:09   #1
medinabrit

Baader Hyperion zoom.

Just purchased a new Baader hyperion zoom.
I find that it works fine on my 100 & 80 Pentax PF scopes .
From 50 ft to a mile away .No problems .
Maybe they have changed it.
Brian
Old Tuesday 15th December 2009, 00:30   #2
Sancho

Quote:
Originally Posted by medinabrit View Post
Just purchased a new Baader hyperion zoom.
I find that it works fine on my 100 & 80 Pentax PF scopes .
From 50 ft to a mile away .No problems .
Maybe they have changed it.
Brian
Congrats! I got one of those a few months ago, for a Zeiss Diascope. I really like the BH zoom. What do you think of it? Did you need to buy an adapter to use it with the Pentax, or does it screw straight in?

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 15th December 2009, 04:05   #3
medinabrit

hyperion zoom

The Pentax PFs all use regular 1.25 EPs so the Baader zoom fits right on.
From the little i used it today .Very good
I have 2 of the Big bean can size Pentax Zooms but this is more compact.
Old Tuesday 15th December 2009, 07:00   #4
mannukiddo

Wow! This is great news. If the Baader zoom can reach focus even at infinity I will be getting one for my PF80 soon and get rid of the SMC zoom that came with it
Old Tuesday 15th December 2009, 13:37   #5
Sancho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannukiddo View Post
Wow! This is great news. If the Baader zoom can reach focus even at infinity I will be getting one for my PF80 soon and get rid of the SMC zoom that came with it
Word of warning: the BH zoom is not waterproof, so needs protection. I've used it in the rain with no ill-effects, but I'm not sure how much it would stand up to use in a very humid climate.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 15th December 2009, 19:14   #6
mmdnje
Jose

HI Brian.Where did you buy it from? I tried alpineastro.com but shows as "out of stock". Jose.
Old Tuesday 15th December 2009, 21:12   #7
medinabrit

I ordered it from telescopes.com .
$215 free shipping.
Old Wednesday 16th December 2009, 05:32   #8
woodhornbirder

i thought it was only the pentax 65 it didnt work with ??
Old Wednesday 16th December 2009, 13:34   #9
mmdnje
Jose

can you unscrew the eyeguard? is there a thread on the eyepiece? thanks
Old Wednesday 16th December 2009, 15:24   #10
medinabrit

When you take the rubber eye cap of there is a thread .
Its aprox 53 or54 .
Cant measure it exact as i only have inch tape measure.
Old Wednesday 16th December 2009, 15:26   #11
medinabrit

I havnt tried it on the 65mm PF but i have the 65 & will try it.
Brian.
Old Thursday 17th December 2009, 14:54   #12
medinabrit

Just tried the Baader Hyperion zoom on the PF 65.
It focused on TV mast 2 miles away & bird feeder 12 feet away.
Maybe they have changed something on the new ones.
Brian.
Old Saturday 19th December 2009, 05:54   #13
woodhornbirder

that very interesting news brian)

may have to start saving the pennies up.....
Old Saturday 19th December 2009, 17:14   #14
stereotruckdriver

Brian any chance you could say a little more as to how the zoom works on the PF 65? I have the original version I of the Pentax. I have gotten the newer Vixen (clickstop,twist up EP) still very interested in the Baader though!!! Thanks, Bryce...
Old Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 15:01   #15
medinabrit

Im afraid i have a big apology to make .
When i tried the Baader in the 65pf I forgot that i had left a Burgess binoviewer 1.9 corrector in the Baader zoom.
This is used to allow a Burgess binoviewer to come to focus in some astro scopes .
It is available from burgess optical for i believe $10.
It is about 5/8ths long .
This does enable the Baader to work in the 65PF.
But increases the mag a bit.
Definately worth it though.
My apologies again .
Brian.
Old Sunday 27th December 2009, 18:46   #16
Kevin Purcell

Very interesting, Brian.

Can you estimate how much the magnification is increased by? Is it very noticeable (apparently not as you forgot you left it on ).

Any other problems with the image ... I suspect not as astro folks are a picky bunch and would more easily spot some aberrations faster than birders. But birders will often find color issues quicker.

Other's can find info on the corrector at and it is only $10!

http://www.burgessoptical.com/Accessories/OCA1_9.html
http://www.burgessoptical.com/Availa...ml#Accessories
Old Saturday 9th January 2010, 04:28   #17
woodhornbirder

do i assume that a fixed length baader works in a pf65?

eg the 17mm will come to focus?
Old Wednesday 13th January 2010, 00:55   #18
medinabrit

I had 4 Orion Stratus EPs which im told are the same as the hyperion & they worked in all 3 of my Pentax PFs.
Brian.
Old Friday 30th April 2010, 23:23   #19
BinoBoy

I just bought the Baader Hyperion 17mm. It works beautifully with the PF-65EDII, but it will not focus to infinity if you install the fine tuning rings they offer for it. Without the rings, it does focus to infinity.

Mark
Old Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 03:31   #20
gcole

Burgess 1.9x Corrector On A Pentax 65mm EDAII ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by medinabrit View Post
Im afraid i have a big apology to make .
When i tried the Baader in the 65pf I forgot that i had left a Burgess binoviewer 1.9 corrector in the Baader zoom.
This is used to allow a Burgess binoviewer to come to focus in some astro scopes .
It is available from burgess optical for i believe $10.
It is about 5/8ths long .
This does enable the Baader to work in the 65PF.
But increases the mag a bit.
Definately worth it though.
My apologies again .
Brian.
Has anyone else tried this 1.9 corrector on the Pentax 65 EDAII, if so what eyepiece & how well did it work ? ...Thanks gwen
Old Tuesday 8th October 2013, 13:50   #21
DanC.Licks
AKA Daniel Bradley

So does the BH zoom focus to infinity on the PF 65 EDAII as is or not? It seems not.
Old Tuesday 8th October 2013, 14:58   #22
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC.Licks View Post
So does the BH zoom focus to infinity on the PF 65 EDAII as is or not? It seems not.
I ordered the Burgess 1.9 corrector, when it arrives I will try on some eyepieces. I do not have the BH zoom at this time but I do have a clone look alike the Plano. The Plano as is does not work correctly because the eyepiece falls short about a 1/4" reach into the Pentax ...I think ? I am not sure if I am going to keep the Plano zoom but if I do I am going to try to remove the locking collar (even if I have to cut it off) that has the female threads that keeps the Plano zoom from reaching further into the Pentax. If I do & that solves the problem , you still can not get this zoom unless you get the Promaster Elite with the zoom on it. I will be sure to post if I do. Even if I destroy the Plano zoom I can still use the Promaster scope with other eyepieces or just re-sell it .... gwen
Old Thursday 10th October 2013, 23:18   #23
eitanaltman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC.Licks View Post
NOT. Unfortunately. It would be an amazing combo if it worked. The views were glorious when I tried it.... but it could only focus out to ~100yds or so.
Old Wednesday 16th October 2013, 23:26   #24
billb9430

I’ve been using a Baader Hyperion 8-24 mm Clickstop Zoom eyepiece in Pentax PF65, 80, and 100 spotting scopes for several years now. As furnished, the eyepiece won’t reach infinity focus in any of the Pentax scopes because of the thick attachment parts at the bottom of the eyepiece. These include a milled edge piece into which the 1.248” barrel (that seems to be standard size for “1 ¼ inch” eyepieces – two thousandths undersize) attaches, a thick threaded ring that is normally not removed, and a plastic spacer ring at the bottom of the main eyepiece body. The thicknesses of these three together hold the eyepiece bottom .278 inches above the bottom of the scope’s focuser collet. (See photo) A homemade adapter turned from 2.5” diameter aluminum stock about 1 ¾” long holds the eyepiece bottom only .068” from the focuser collet bottom, so the eyepiece is closer by .21 inches (5.3 mm). That may not sound like much, but it allows infinity focus with all three PF models and even permits folks with slight myopia to focus “in” a little bit so they can use the eyepiece without their glasses.

(NOTE: I have done this modification to the one Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom eyepiece I own. It was purchased used and is one of the older models, not the Mk-III version now available. These techniques may or may not work on other versions of this eyepiece.)

To modify your eyepiece to work with the Pentax scopes, you first need to remove the original parts mentioned above. Keep them in a safe place, as this modification is reversible, if you so choose. The milled-edge ring that holds the 1.248” lower barrel simply unscrews, but the thicker ring above it is threaded on the outside and inside and screws into the thin fluted ring around the upper barrel. The double threaded ring has two small holes that allow it to be unscrewed from the fluted ring using a pin spanner, but a small jewelers screwdriver in one of the holes will also serve for this task with only a little extra difficulty. Hold the fluted ring with your hand as you unscrew the double threaded ring from it. (See photo)

You can likely just machine the adapter to fit the measurements of your eyepiece now, allowing a 1.248” OD lower barrel (.95” long, though that is not critical) to go into the scope. For reference, though, I’ll include the dimensions I used. The adapter has a bottom ID of 1.148” to allow clearance for the zoom extension at the bottom of the eyepiece. The upper part of the barrel was left 2.5” OD with the inside being 2.188” to allow the lower part of the big Baader Zoom cylinder to slide into it. I left the original outside fluted ring loose on the barrel, as it just slides up above the adapter, out of the way. The upper part of my adapter is about .8” long, though again, that is not critical. What IS critical is to get the bottom of the adapter’s upper cylinder that connects to the 1.248” OD part thin enough to allow the eyepiece to sit much closer to the bottom of the collet ring. As mentioned before, mine is just .068”, though a few thousandths less would be even better if you are slightly myopic. The adapter is attached to the eyepiece bottom with three small set screws in holes tapped through the upper wall of the adapter. If these are kept sufficiently low on the adapter, the now loose fluted ring will cover the set screw divots in the eyepiece body if you choose to take off the adapter and reassemble the Baader Zoom back to its original configuration. (See photos of adapter and adapter attached to eyepiece)

Since making the adapter is not a very difficult lathe project, perhaps those who do not have access to a lathe can find a local machine shop to turn the adapter for you at reasonable cost. - Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoom 1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	468487  Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoom 2.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	468488  Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoom 3.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	468489  Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoom 4.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	468490  Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoom 5.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	468491  

Old Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 22:35   #25
mayoayo

EUREKA!..I have been thinking to do this for a long time and was sure it would work,it didnt make any optical sense that this eyepiece would not work in any spotter and had to be hardware related,,congratulations and thanks for the tip!!!..
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: