• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aftermarket objective lens covers (1 Viewer)

birdazzLED

I read Steve C's post so I understand there are two main aftermarket options. I'm down to just one original objective cover so i'm considering Bushwacker or Butler Creek. What are some opinions of them and also should the clear covers be considered as well?

I have a dremel so trimming for fitment wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for your input and time.

Those may work, although Weaver, that is riflescopes. I don't think you want
spring loaded, you may want to have them lay in your preferred position.

I read Steve C's post so I understand there are two main aftermarket options. I'm down to just one original objective cover so i'm considering Bushwacker or Butler Creek. What are some opinions of them and also should the clear covers be considered as well?

I have a dremel so trimming for fitment wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for your input and time.

I much prefer the Bushwacker's over any other objective cover. I really feel strongly they are the best option for binoculars. Eagle optics has a wide size range.

I read that Quake (Bushwacker) once manufactured covers for Swarovski but now Swarovski recommends Butler Creek.'

edit**** I've been reading reviews at Cabela's web store and there are a lot of negative reviews about Butler Creek. I'm going to look for Quake reviews now. Thanks denco.

Denco, are you talking about Bushwacker BinoOptic covers?

Does anyone know what the outside diameter of 8x43 Zen Ray ED2 is?

Spring loaded may not be a good idea I guess since they may open too easily.

I'm guessing Size 5 in woman's will fit?

Last edited:
Clear objective covers are so optically inferior, they serve little useful purpose. I speak from experience.

John

Doesn't the Swaro 8 x 30 SLC have them built into the binocular to keep it waterproof? I believe they focus by moving the objective lens's.
Bob

Hi Bob, You are correct on the newer Swaro 8x30 SLC having an optical window and yes the objective lens moves to focus. The first series 8x30 & 7x30 SLC didn't have the optical window.

Butler creek says they use ""Optical Grade polymers" for their see-through covers. Bushwacker doesn't specify....\

Denco, which model are you referring to?

Dennis you are right.

Any of the see through covers that are out there are simply for show. I have one riflescope with a see through cover and they are made out of cheap plastic.
You would not want to look through these with your binocular or scope.

Think about how the optical designer has made your optic. Is it also for viewing through
some cheap plastic? no it is not. They are simply a protector.

Just think about objective covers as just that, covers, just to protect the lens.

Jerry

Doesn't the Swaro 8 x 30 SLC have them built into the binocular to keep it waterproof? I believe they focus by moving the objective lens's.
Bob

Bob:

Anything that would be part of anyones binocular would be optical grade glass.

This post refers to the use of aftermarket objective lens covers, so that
is a different purpose, being rubber the main material.

As far as Swarovski and any other binocular, the objective lens is fixed, and yes there are moving lenses inside.
The 8x30 SLC does move the lenses for
focus near the objective lens, hence, they have placed the focus knob on the
far end, nearer the task at hand. For other roofs the lens set that is moved
is more on the ocular end.

Jerry

I really think any see-through cover would degrade your optics althougn I can not speak from experience since I haven't tried them. These are the Bushwackers I am referring to.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular-accessories/quake/bushwacker-binooptic-size-8-lens-cover

You say these are spring loaded but the picture looks like they are just tethered. The description says, "This durable lens cover hinges on a stretchable connector", yet they appear not to be a hinge but just a rubber tether type attachment. I'm not understanding what I see.......

You say these are spring loaded but the picture looks like they are just tethered. The description says, "This durable lens cover hinges on a stretchable connector", yet they appear not to be a hinge but just a rubber tether type attachment. I'm not understanding what I see.......

Yes, they are a spring load type hinge. No tether. I just looked at mine. Work great!

Last edited:
As far as Swarovski and any other binocular, the objective lens is fixed, and yes there are moving lenses inside.
The 8x30 SLC does move the lenses for
focus near the objective lens, hence, they have placed the focus knob on the
far end, nearer the task at hand. For other roofs the lens set that is moved
is more on the ocular end.

Jerry

Bob's right about the 8x30 SLC focusing. It's the only Swarovski binocular that focuses by moving the objective lens (an air-spaced doublet) to change the distance between it and the eyepiece. There is no internal focusing lens. The fixed glass at the front is just a flat cover plate for waterproofing, not an optical element. The design of the 8x30 predates the other SLC's, going all the way back to the 80's. The first version lacked the waterproofing cover plate just like its contemporaries, the Zeiss 8x30 and 10x40 Dialyts, which focused the same way.

AFAIK, nearly all internal focusing lenses are in front of the prisms, not at the ocular end. The only exceptions that come to mind were the old Leitz Trinovids, which focused by moving the internal eyepiece elements.

Henry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back