• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best x27 eyepiece for Nikon ED50 (1 Viewer)

...we carry so many SKUs thus unfortunately cuts have to be made. It is odd, the Fieldscope IIIs and ED50 have sold spectacularly but the additional eyepieces haven't followed suit. The eyepieces have done well, but not well enough to continue mass production of them...

What we in the USA are wondering is not why they aren't being mass produced, but why they aren't being supplied to the USA at all. Even if only the largest dealers (B&H, Adorama) chose to stock them, I'm sure they'd sell a good number of units. It's really hard to believe that the market is substantially better in, for example, Britain, but then it is true that Bushnell never distributed its WA 30x eyepiece for the Elite scopes in the USA--they were only for the European market. And several US bicycle companies make excellent commuter bikes that they do not sell in the USA. I don't understand marketing. It must be forbidden for US dealers to import these Nikon items (Nikon Fieldscope eyepieces, EII binoculars) because otherwise I'd think the big ones would offer them (grey market?).

--AP

What we in the USA are wondering is not why they aren't being mass produced, but why they aren't being supplied to the USA at all. Even if only the largest dealers (B&H, Adorama) chose to stock them, I'm sure they'd sell a good number of units. It's really hard to believe that the market is substantially better in, for example, Britain, but then it is true that Bushnell never distributed its WA 30x eyepiece for the Elite scopes in the USA--they were only for the European market. And several US bicycle companies make excellent commuter bikes that they do not sell in the USA. I don't understand marketing. It must be forbidden for US dealers to import these Nikon items (Nikon Fieldscope eyepieces, EII binoculars) because otherwise I'd think the big ones would offer them (grey market?).

--AP

Alexis,

I hear you loud and clear. There must be some market research evidence to support their reasoning for holding back those eyepieces. Unfortunately, I don't know what that is.

Thanks,
Mike

The Cameraland people are certainly trying to get more of these.
They tell me that any that come in blow out within the hour, with hunters being the most active buyers.
So I do think Nikon is leaving some money on the table in this sector.

Any update how the purchase is going?

I was out of town (and blissfully free from email/internet!) for three weeks. But this morning I placed an order through Amazon Japan using Tenso's forwarding sevice. As LabradorDuck suggests, the Tenso address, in Japanese, is confusing, at least for dolts like me. Hopefully the folks at Amazon can sort out any errors.

I'll let you know what happens.

Mark

Just by chance I notice that a company called The Camera Box is selling the 27/40/50x DS eyepieces on Amazon for $245 including shipping. They claim to have 10 in stock. Where did those come from?? It figures--one day after I order one from Japan.

Looks like the 27/40/50x MC from Japan will be about $188 including shipping, a savings of $57 over the above, but something of a hassle to actually get.

Mark

254$ seems more like the regular list price,so 188$ shipping included seems a VERY good price indeed...Do they have the MC version?..I like better the MC design,and actually worked great with all my home made digiscoping adapters..the DS are good for visual too,but considerably larger,a bit pushing the limits of whats comfortable really...Nikon could have done much better in terms of ergonomics,I think

Looks like the 27/40/50x MC from Japan will be about $188 including shipping, a savings of $57 over the above, but something of a hassle to actually get.

Hey, that's actually quite a good price--I'm surprised! Given the (usually) higher prices and exchange rates, I've rarely been tempted to buy optics in Japan. But apart from some ridiculously good deals that occurred when the Fieldscope eyepieces were being removed from the US market, the price you paid is comparable to what that eyepiece sold for in the USA when it was widely available. This is very good news for Fieldscope owners in the USA.

--AP

Just a quick update on Tenso.com. It works great! The 27x MC arrived in one week's time. Here's the breakdown:

27/40/50x MC wide from Amazon Japan: $163.51
Tenso shipping and handling: $25.59

I'd consider that shipping a real bargain, airmailed from Japan.

Amazon Japan looks like they have most/all the Fieldscope eyepieces, so have a look. The only drawback is that the Nikon warranty card specifically states that the warranty is only good in Japan.

Oh, and I'm really liking this new eyepiece too. Excellent wide view!

Mark

Just a quick update on Tenso.com. It works great! The 27x MC arrived in one week's time. Here's the breakdown:

27/40/50x MC wide from Amazon Japan: $163.51
Tenso shipping and handling: $25.59

I'd consider that shipping a real bargain, airmailed from Japan.

Amazon Japan looks like they have most/all the Fieldscope eyepieces, so have a look. The only drawback is that the Nikon warranty card specifically states that the warranty is only good in Japan.

Oh, and I'm really liking this new eyepiece too. Excellent wide view!

Mark

That's all excellent and I'm glad this route worked out for you and is available to others. As for the warranty, I wouldn't be concerned--there isn't much that can go wrong with an eyepiece. And besides, since these eyepieces don't have serial numbers, they can't be tracked, so you ought to be covered by the no-fault warranty in the USA.

--AP

Well I am in the process of using tenso as well. So far everything seems to be going well. If someone didnt post the link to the right eyepiece from amazon.jp i probbaly wouldnt have found it. But so far the address stuff was the most confusing , but i didnt get an amail confirmation from tenso that my package has arrived to them. So far they seem to have a good CS as i have emailed a few questions and got some quick responses.

I went through and purchased a 27X MC ocular from amazon.jp via tenso as well. Very smooth process, delivered within 10 days in total, although I was slammed by a Canada customs fee of $40, so my total ended up at about $225.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back