• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nikon 40-60-75x wf £159.00 (1 Viewer)

I would agree that it was the least impressive of the Nikon widefield eyepieces that I owned at one time. Still, it was more comfortable to view at 75x in comparison to the zoom.

I rarely use my scope at maximum magnification (shorebirds and waterfowl are the only exceptions) but I have found that many individuals do tend to favor a scope based on the maximum amount of magnification that they can satisfactorily obtain from it.

I like detail...so a good scope that can get magnification is a plus...Nikon ED82 can magnify 75X using the zoom or this eyepiece,based on its long focal lenght because the eyepiece is 7mm ,..It will grant 64X in my Kowa 823 and I expect great quality image..I made an adapter for Nikon eyepieces to Kowa 82 and have one of these coming (DS version) .It is easy to get an impressive View at 20X or 30X,but at 75X you are pushing the quality OF THE SCOPE already. If at that power the image is not impressive,Is probably Your scope lacking that type of correction..I see these eyepieces selling fast in Astromart,and that make sense ,because 75X or 80X is a power that most good astro scopes can deal with easily.
I will post my impressions on the Ds version later on

I have now used this 75X DS for a few days,and I think is a very impressive eyepiece..What is really impressive,in fact, is the performance of the ED50 at this max power(for its aperture)..the little Nikon stays quite bright with the fixed power ,7mm, 40X DS..I think The eyepiece is Brighter than the Zoom at 40x (less elements?),,but even if not brighter,the eye relief and FOV are soooo much better,than the whole experience is better beyond comparison.The ED50 becomes a MACRO scope,with its minimum focussing distance ..I think my scope close focus is around 8 feet,,(no more and maybe less!)So at 40X brings a lot of detail looking at small,close-by things, like flowers,insects etc..cool really ,and I think I would use this eyepiece quite a lot for this type of Macro observation with my kids,since they always are more interested in things at hand reach distance than in flying birds .DOF at close range is Very thin ,but Is a sharp view and clear focus is easy to attain..The 40X DS also has much better edge performance than other Nikon Wide eyepieces,as You can imagine,For the basic design of these eyepieces seem to be the same ,using different barlows to add magnification in the various models,,Hence ,the FOV of this model is basically the main Sweet spot of this design,showing better Edge performance and less lateral color than other models..another point in favor of this eyepiece.
In the Kowa 823 the eyepiece grants 64X,and the performance of this combo is very good...probably as good as it gets.. ,or close enough, because I star tested the scope with this eyepiece,and got great results...I actually was more interested in trying high power in the Kowa than using this eyepiece in the ED50,but I can recommend this eyepiece for the ED50 as well..maybe not as the main eyepiece,but as an alternative to the Zoom ,to combine with a lower power one..It is more enjoyable that I expected..

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back