• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Watching,Taking photos in Yunnan (1 Viewer)

Daniel Hocuk

Hello !

I plan to go to Yunnan to watch and taking photos of some species.
I need help, which areas of North Yunnan and which date can I find these birds?

Thanks for help!
Mostly I like to find these birds:

Haematospiza sipahi- Scarlet Finch
Pyrrhula erythaca- Beavan’s Bullfinch
Pyrrhula erythrocephala-Red- Headed Bullfinch
Pyrrhula nipalensis- Brown Rosefinch
Mycerobas affinis-Collared Grosbeak
Mycerobas melanozanthos-Spot- Winged Grosbeak
Pyrrhoplectes epauletta- Gold – napped Finch
Carpodacus vinaceus- Vinaceus Rosefinch
Carpodacus trifasciatus- Three- Banded Rosefinch
Carpodacus thura-White – Browed Rosefinch
Carpodacus nipalensis - Nepal Rosefinch
Pinicola subhimachala- Red –Headed Rosefinch

Hi Daniel, some ideas below... AND you could check out Oriental Bird Images and the Internet Bird Collection for photograph locations for these species

H. sipahi - Scarlet Finch - Baihualing (Gaoligongshan) and Dulongjiang

P. erythaca - Grey-headed Bullfinch - around Zhongdian in April/May - perhaps easier in Sichuan (Wanglang) or Gansu (Linhuashan)

P. ethythrocephala - west himalayas - south Tibet, but not Yunnan

P. nipalensis - Brown Bullfinch - In China, I've only seen at Baihualing (March)

M. affinis - seen at Zixishan (Purple stream mountain, near Chuxiong) (March)

M. melanozanthos - Spot-winged Grosbeak - Moli Waterfalls, near Ruili (winter)

P. epauletta - Gold-naped Finch - seen in May at Cangshan, above Dali (not by me) and on the road to Pianma, west Yunnan by me in April

C. vinaceus - Vinaceous Rosefinch - seen at Jizushan (near Dali)

C. trifasciatus - Three-banded Rosefinch - more like likely in Sichuan or Gansu

C. thura - White-browed Rosefinch - another high elevation species, see above

C . nipalensis - Western Hills, Kunming, and Meilixueshan near Deqin (and maybe in between, I don't know)

P. subhimachala - Crimson-browed Finch - seen feeding in cotoneaster at the summit of Jizushan (near Dali) (October, as I recall) and at Shibaoshan (March)

John Holmes

Yunnan birds

Hello!

Really many thanks for your help!
May I have few more question?
These birds are moving in flocks or in pairs, lonely?
Which high of mountains did you see them?
These birds breeding season start in April?

Thanks before!
Daniel

Hi Daniel, some ideas below... AND you could check out Oriental Bird Images and the Internet Bird Collection for photograph locations for these species

H. sipahi - Scarlet Finch - Baihualing (Gaoligongshan) and Dulongjiang

P. erythaca - Grey-headed Bullfinch - around Zhongdian in April/May - perhaps easier in Sichuan (Wanglang) or Gansu (Linhuashan)

P. ethythrocephala - west himalayas - south Tibet, but not Yunnan

P. nipalensis - Brown Bullfinch - In China, I've only seen at Baihualing (March)

M. affinis - seen at Zixishan (Purple stream mountain, near Chuxiong) (March)

M. melanozanthos - Spot-winged Grosbeak - Moli Waterfalls, near Ruili (winter)

P. epauletta - Gold-naped Finch - seen in May at Cangshan, above Dali (not by me) and on the road to Pianma, west Yunnan by me in April

C. vinaceus - Vinaceous Rosefinch - seen at Jizushan (near Dali)

C. trifasciatus - Three-banded Rosefinch - more like likely in Sichuan or Gansu

C. thura - White-browed Rosefinch - another high elevation species, see above

C . nipalensis - Western Hills, Kunming, and Meilixueshan near Deqin (and maybe in between, I don't know)

P. subhimachala - Crimson-browed Finch - seen feeding in cotoneaster at the summit of Jizushan (near Dali) (October, as I recall) and at Shibaoshan (March)

John Holmes

As I said in my PM:

"Hi Daniel,
I don't think my personal memory of these can supply the detail you want... there is a fine book called "Finches and Sparrows - An Identification Guide" published by Helm which should have all the details you need.

Best
John"

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back