• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30 vintage by serial #? (1 Viewer)

rfield54

Does anyone out there have a serial #/year list for Zeiss bino's (8x30 and 8x30B's). The numbers are 534562 (8x30's), and 934319 (8x30B's). My guess is that the 8x30's are vintage late 50's, and the 8x30B's are from around 1980. Thanks.

rfield54 said:
Does anyone out there have a serial #/year list for Zeiss bino's (8x30 and 8x30B's). The numbers are 534562 (8x30's), and 934319 (8x30B's). My guess is that the 8x30's are vintage late 50's, and the 8x30B's are from around 1980. Thanks.

Hi,

Your 8x30 porro is very late 1950's, could be even 1960/1. Your 8x30B porro is early 1970's.

Renze

Thanks for the reply, Renze. The 8x30B's have noticebly clearer, untinted optics. Better depth perception. I don't know if that's the right phrase. What I mean is it's easier to determine the distance between foreground and background objects with the newer ones. Is that depth of field? I'm new at the technical end of binoculars.

rfield54 said:
Thanks for the reply, Renze. The 8x30B's have noticebly clearer, untinted optics. Better depth perception. I don't know if that's the right phrase. What I mean is it's easier to determine the distance between foreground and background objects with the newer ones. Is that depth of field? I'm new at the technical end of binoculars.

Hi,

I compared 8x30 and 8x30B side by side and can't find any difference in depth of field. However, we completely agree on the B's being optically better: they're clearer, sharper, more contrasty. My explanation is their limited field of view. Those single layer coated, wide angle-Zeiss West porro's display a slight greyish hue, softening the image. The remedy would be of course multi coating but, as proven by the 8x30B, a field stop is effective as well.

Renze

Renze de Vries said:
Hi,
Your 8x30B porro is early 1970's.
Renze

No disrespect, but I'm more inclined to believe my 8x30B's are vintage late 70's by: 1) the superior optics 2) the stock plastic strap (not leather) 3) the fact that they say "Made In West Germany". Once again, is anyone aware of a serial #/ vintage list for the Zeiss Oberkochen (West Germany) binocs?

Also, I'm still not sure exactly why the newer 8x30B's are so much more true optically than the older 8x30's, but I assume - like the Jena's - it has to do with a switch to multi-coating. If so, the obvious question is: when and at what approximate serial number did this switch take place? I'm learning that with the Jena's, the switch to their "T3M" multi-coating took place in 1978 (serial number near 4,700,000). Could that have happenned with the Oberkochen's as well? At around the same time? Any answers will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 8x30B.jpg
    8x30B.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 8x30.jpg
    8x30.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back