• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adapter for DSLR and compact (1 Viewer)

Robert L Jarvis

Robert L Jarvis
There have been any number of threads and queries on the forum about digiscoping with a DSLR. The usual way has been to connect the Camera body to the scope with a photo adapter as in photo 1 below. This in my view has never been entirely satisfactory as the whole setup to take photos well, needs a lot of light and one loses many of the advantages a DSLR gives such as av mode. Photo 2 was a shot of a feeder taken on this setup.

However I have just received the finalised version of my SRB-Griturn swing away adapter which was primarily for use with a compact camera. But on receiving this I realised the potential this had for using a DSLR and the scope without removing the camera lens and scope eyepiece, see photo 3 where the camera is positioned in place ready for use and photo 4 where the camera is swung away for the scope to be used. The camera lens is zoomed to 40mm to get rid of the vignetting and is on manual focus, focus achieved with the scope. Photo 5 was taken with this set up, must empasize this was just a quick shot. Have to point out that the bar supporting the camera needs to be a little thicker for support and for balance one of those sliding bars to attach the outfit to the tripod head would be beneficial. I am not saying this is the be all and end all for digicscoping with a DSLR but surely merits consideration.

The final photos show the adapter in use with my Canon A95. Have to tell everyone this is a brilliant piece of kit which with the large range of scope adapters available can accomodate all and all compact cameras. Bearing in mind when the camera is not used the scope can be. For other endorsements on this adapter just ask Scampo. Sorry could not upload final two photos as not realised a limit of 5 uploads, will put them on a separate post.

Last edited:
Robert,
Nice set up. I used to use my SLR with a camera adaptor similar to your first photo. However, it was too time consuming changing set ups (viewing eyepiece for birding, then adaptor for a photo). I have since sold my SLR (my back felt the relief instantly) and started digiscoping. Just recently, after reading lots of posts here, I bought a new digiscoping camera (CP 8400) and have ordered the SRB-Griturn swing away adapter, which will hopefully arrive in time for a trip I have planned over the upcoming holidays.
I'll post some photos once I get set up.

I think srb have crimated your adapter as it looked so much better in silver compared that crap blueish grey. Also, if the pics were any more noisey I would wear ear defenders, But other than that I think we as digiscoping comunity have struck gold with this little adapter as an answer to our problems.

Thank you SRB my order will be with you as soon as my new scope arrives.

Happy new year?

Thanks for the compliment. As for the colour, if you want a silver (uncoateed version) then just ask. Any alterations or extras you want, again just ask.

Thanks Terry I will keep to silver then. Great adapter, I have been to Burnley and seen my dads first hand and works a treat.

Hi Robert,
Very interesting. Do you plan to take it to Gambia? If so, I'll look forward to seeing it. My set up combines a Kyocera 300 with an Eagle Eye adaptor. It works, but can be slow and cumbersome (for me, that is), so I mainly use my DSLR.
John

Robert L Jarvis said:
There have been any number of threads and queries on the forum about digiscoping with a DSLR. The usual way has been to connect the Camera body to the scope with a photo adapter as in photo 1 below. This in my view has never been entirely satisfactory as the whole setup to take photos well, needs a lot of light and one loses many of the advantages a DSLR gives such as av mode. Photo 2 was a shot of a feeder taken on this setup.

However I have just received the finalised version of my SRB-Griturn swing away adapter which was primarily for use with a compact camera. But on receiving this I realised the potential this had for using a DSLR and the scope without removing the camera lens and scope eyepiece, see photo 3 where the camera is positioned in place ready for use and photo 4 where the camera is swung away for the scope to be used. The camera lens is zoomed to 40mm to get rid of the vignetting and is on manual focus, focus achieved with the scope. Photo 5 was taken with this set up, must empasize this was just a quick shot. Have to point out that the bar supporting the camera needs to be a little thicker for support and for balance one of those sliding bars to attach the outfit to the tripod head would be beneficial. I am not saying this is the be all and end all for digicscoping with a DSLR but surely merits consideration.

The final photos show the adapter in use with my Canon A95. Have to tell everyone this is a brilliant piece of kit which with the large range of scope adapters available can accomodate all and all compact cameras. Bearing in mind when the camera is not used the scope can be. For other endorsements on this adapter just ask Scampo. Sorry could not upload final two photos as not realised a limit of 5 uploads, will put them on a separate post.

Hi Robert,
Which eye piece do you use with the TSN4 ? I use the new 20x wide with mine + the fuji f11 and am getting some good results.I am also thinking of going for the SRB adapter after seeing yours. Regards.
Stan. :clap: :clap:

John. I shall be taking it the Gambia. It would also accommodate your Kyocera. I intend to experiment a little more with DSLR as wel.

Stan. I use the 20-60x zoom hence from the photos you can see the cutouts on the eyepiece adapter for the zoom to be used. Just contact Terry Fogden at SRB and he will help you with exactly what you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back