• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st Swift of the year (1 Viewer)

gary jb

Seen my first Swift of the year this evening,single bird flying north over my house in Anfield.Anyone else had any sightings.

gary jb said:
Seen my first Swift of the year this evening,single bird flying north over my house in Anfield.Anyone else had any sightings.
well done,im still waiting for my first swallow of the spring.

Last edited:
gary jb said:

Saw my first swift yesterday at Oxford Island, Co.Armagh. They're already quite far north, someone further south than us must've seen one surely!?

First Swift in Leicestershire was also yesterday (Dave Gray at Watermead CP) and I noticed there was also one reported on Lewis, Outer Hebrides.
Steve

Saw my first Swift of the year this evening at Kingsmill Res (not sure if it's the first for Notts this year though).

One at Swithland Res in Leics today also, that one yours Steve?

Mike

I had my first of the year (FOY) Chimney Swift today, ours is Chaetura pelagica.

Which swift are you fellows referring to over on your side of the pond?

If they are different species it is interesting that they appear to be returning north at the same time!

Larry Lade said:
Which swift are you fellows referring to over on your side of the pond?

If they are different species it is interesting that they appear to be returning north at the same time!

Apus apus Had my first two this evening as well - they're on the move!

Migration has definitely started here in Northumberland! :t:

Had my first Swallow on Thursday 12th April and yesterday *19th* I had my first Sand Martins, Willow Warbler, SAndwich Terns AND Swift :D

The Swift I was especially pleased with as the previous two years have had them arrive on May 1st :loveme:

Counted 10 at Kingsmill Res this morning, but there amy well have been another one or two. None around where i live yet though.

Great to see them back - "The Greatest Show on Earth!"

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back