• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dave's Tablet (1 Viewer)

Great story and a great drawing too, Dave. Giant snakes and bulbuls - that's one way to keep the kids quiet, have to give it a go!
I can see you making this into a very nice painting -you'll be able to play with the abstracts in the shapes the birds half-hidden in the foliage and the main focus on the bulbul performing in the open space. Looking forward to it.
Ceolacanth or not - don't forget the worldwide surge of interest when one IS finally trawled to the surface !!! ;)

If Ed's Thread is like a hibernating bat, mine is like one of those Coelecanth's that gets trawled out of the deep long after everyone thought it had gone extinct!

or maybe a sparkling comet that appears, delights the watching masses, then departs again into the twinkling yonder

just a thought

nice snakey pic

be nice to see this come on,

Thanks for all your kind comments. The Derry influence is stronger than I realised - I've managed to work this up into colour within 12 hours - unheard of for me! And it's not yet 1am!

May tinker further with this in the morn, so any suggestions would be welcome. I opted for a more head-on sunbird cf the original drawing. Not sure about the perspective of so many different angles - hope it all hangs together OK.

Night.

Dave

PS Acryllics with tablet work over on top. For those interested in such things, the species are: Red-tailed Ratsnake, Crimson Sunbird, Yellow-vented Bulbul and Olive-winged Bulbul (2).

Attachments

• snake and sunbird2 copy.jpg
    snake and sunbird2 copy.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 146
  • snake and sunbird close up.jpg
    snake and sunbird close up.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Thanks for all your kind comments. The Derry influence is stronger than I realised - I've managed to work this up into colour within 12 hours - unheard of for me! And it's not yet 1am!

PS Acryllics with tablet work over on top. For those interested in such things, the species are: Red-tailed Ratsnake, Crimson Sunbird, Yellow-vented Bulbul and Olive-winged Bulbul (2).

Hi Dave

Super pictures to show us here. Love the composition, and the texture of the colours. Very pleasing to the eye.
The colours are vivid, and it lights up the visual side of what we, as the viewer is seeing here. It gives a happy glowing, warm feeling here.

IMHO, in the second picture, the snake is well depicted to show that he is hungry and is contently watching the bird- with food on his mind. The bird looks although he is trying to fly backwards, to avoid being involved with the snake :eek!:

Thank you for naming all the characters in your painting too! Love them too ;)

Look forward to your next pictures (when you are ready too)

Regards
Kathy

That is not what I was expecting to see at all. I love it. By using such an open foliage, the bright light glares through the scene (lobe the blurry wings) - taking the viewer directly under the action. Love this freshly handled approach - perfect for the subjects.

That is not what I was expecting to see at all. I love it. By using such an open foliage, the bright light glares through the scene (lobe the blurry wings) - taking the viewer directly under the action. Love this freshly handled approach - perfect for the subjects.

Now I am intrigued. What were you expecting Tim???

Dave

Nice pic Dave, the composition and athe action are spot on. Makes me feel a little uncomfortable, as though the snake could drop out of the branches on my head at any moment!

Woody

Nice pic Dave, the composition and athe action are spot on. Makes me feel a little uncomfortable, as though the snake could drop out of the branches on my head at any moment!

Woody

well don't stand under it then! :-O

Now I am intrigued. What were you expecting Tim???

Dave
Ha! That's a good question! I think that what I mean is I had a feeling this would be quite a busy and layered piece, with loads of leaves densely overlapping with bits of birds being seen amongst the mayhem of foliage - what you have produced has such a real quality of light - just the effect I imagine you'd get if looking straight up through the tropical fronds. You've kept such freshness to the drawing - it's almost akin to a detailed field study - wonderful.
I'll shut up now! ;)

May tinker further with this in the morn, so any suggestions would be welcome. I opted for a more head-on sunbird cf the original drawing. Not sure about the perspective of so many different angles - hope it all hangs together OK.

Night.

Dave

What an idea, transformed in a beautiful composition brilliantly executed!
Your style Dave reminds me in this particular drawing very much of Vadim Gorbatov
the greatest Russian wildlife artist living today!
Incomparable draftsmanship! :clap::clap::clap:

spizaetos

What an idea, transformed in a beautiful composition brilliantly executed!
Your style Dave reminds me in this particular drawing very much of Vadim Gorbatov
the greatest Russian wildlife artist living today!
Incomparable draftsmanship! :clap::clap::clap:

spizaetos

Thanks very much Paschalis!

I've been humming and ha-ing about how to respond to that compliment - Gorbatov's pics are so amazing - thanks for putting me onto his work - I am more than a little overawed. I think my draftmanship must have been accidental!

Dave

Thanks very much Paschalis!

I've been humming and ha-ing about how to respond to that compliment - Gorbatov's pics are so amazing - thanks for putting me onto his work - I am more than a little overawed. I think my draftmanship must have been accidental!

Dave

I think not.....;)

Really unique painting this, one of a kind, love it.

No colour, but a few sketches completed from photos retrospectively from a lucrative morning at my local landfill - a couple of Ruffs - pretty rare here, and a couple of Pectoral Sandpipers - very rare here!

Don't you just love autumn migration?!

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 132
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back