• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello to all from uk (1 Viewer)

janker

Hello
im sorry if im posting in the wrong place but im new to your forum.
I found what looks to me like a Tag from a bird while i was metal detecting in staffordshire.
It looks like a silver colour and very tiny and reads around the tag NU 70 C5772.
I just wondered if this code means anything to anybody or where i could do a look up of this tag please.
many thanks for reading J

Hi janker and a warm welcome to you from across the pond and on behalf of the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

I'm gonna move you thread to the Bird Ringing and Banding section of the Forum and I've subscribed you to the thread so you don't lose track of it ;) Hopefully you'll get some helpful answers there.

Thank you

Many thanks

I have sent an email to the staffordshire group.
I was going to fill in the form but im not sure which country to choose as none of them start with NU ??

many thanks J

J,

I am fairly sure from the inscription that this will be a racing pigeon ring, and since the pigeon is presumably long since dead (70 may indicate 1970!), perhaps therefore hard to trace. You may be able to report it on http://www.rpra.org

HTH

Phil

Last edited:
sorry best picture i could do

thanks for looking
J

Attachments

• rsz_dsc_2485.jpg
    rsz_dsc_2485.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 59
  • rsz_dsc_2486.jpg
    rsz_dsc_2486.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 60
  • rsz_dsc_2487.jpg
    rsz_dsc_2487.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 52
Hi Janker,

This looks like a type captive bird ring, BTO metal rings are split rings that are squeezed together with special pliers

Last edited:
Hi Mike

Hello
Does that make a difference in where i could get it identified ??
So is that a captive wild bird, Many thanks
J

Hi Janker

Yes, the BTO won't be able to help with a closed ring like this I'm afraid. If by captive wild bird you mean an escaped captive bird then yes, unless it's from a homing pigeon. Definitely a bird ring anyway, might be best trying on a pigeon-fanciers or bird-keepers forum?? The diameter might help indicate whether its pigeon or something else (finch, parrot). Feel free to post diameter on here!

J,

This is definitely an ancient UK racing pigeon close ring. The newer ones tend to be plasticised and coloured between the characteristic curved top and bottom lips. NU stands for National Union, now the Royal Pigeon Racing Association.

Phil

another Ring I.D help

Hi all
thanks Phil for the info,I found another but its Green coloured closed ring and reads GB 88 H58496 ,I tried to report it on the page but it just keeps saying invalid number after i filled the form out.
thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back