• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (4 Viewers)

Here's another one for Ken to dream about, zooming south west this evening while we were waiting for the buyers of the house to visit:
82 Merlin
Only my third here in 10 years I think

Can't remember exactly when (praps 5 yrs ago during late December) except that it was a post sunset sky, with a female Merlin streaking South on pointy wings, almost Swift like but with a much longer tail....ah yes I remember it well ;) have been looking ever since....but to no avail. :-C

Looks like a nice little bird Tim, with an interesting bill shape. :t:

Cheers

They are indeed very likeable, always busy and on the move.

Speaking of which, at our new place, I've just been watching some birds still not on the move (thanks to the continued balmy weather in the Alps), 4 Griffon Vultures! A banker for next year's New Garden List as they arrive each summer (non breeders from further south):t:

A small group of House Martins over the garden for most of the afternoon takes my total to 57. My first addition since May and the first House Martins since May 2012!
Maybe I'll reach 60 for the first time this year.

After having several Great Tits visit the feeder daily finally had the first Blue Tits in the garden for 39 (they didn't visit the feeder though!).

Chris

Today I awoke to a beautiful morning!....A flock of Goldfinches at the feeders, a Chiff Chaff that tried to gate crash the bedroom window, soaring and displaying Accipters (yes displaying Sep.30th...flared UTC's, and roller coast dives by the male), plus no.71 and 72, coincidently both within the same time window as last year, end of Sep-beginning Oct. :eek!:

Attachments

• P1380298.jpeg   CC.grdn. 2..jpg
    P1380298.jpeg CC.grdn. 2..jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 33
  • P1380261.jpeg    LW.grdn.3..jpeg
    P1380261.jpeg LW.grdn.3..jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 30
  • P1380326.jpeg     HSPW.grdn.1..jpeg
    P1380326.jpeg HSPW.grdn.1..jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Today I awoke to a beautiful morning!....A flock of Goldfinches at the feeders, a Chiff Chaff that tried to gate crash the bedroom window, soaring and displaying Accipters (yes displaying Sep.30th...flared UTC's, and roller coast dives by the male), plus no.71 and 72, coincidently both within the same time window as last year, end of Sep-beginning Oct. :eek!:

That is a beautiful morning Ken, nice one Mate!

Chris

Ist October though didnt need to look at the date just looked in my garden and there was the robin back again . Its marvellous how birds know the date !

Come on Joanne, don't let Ken get away, I expect a riposte from Sussex' finest before September ends- oh, hang on.....

Eek! :eek!: Time is running out for me. There are a number I could get....could being the operative word! Migrants are still passing through and there are a few residents that I don't have so far this year, namely Nuthatch and Treecreeper.........we shall see.

Osprey high over forest at 9.40am, a garden life tick and no.73....couldn't image it as it disappeared behind trees even though my camera was in my hand! :-C

Osprey high over forest at 9.40am, a garden life tick and no.73....couldn't image it as it disappeared behind trees even though my camera was in my hand! :-C

Wow. A late bird, that, Ken!

Things very autumnal now - north winds and a possible Redwing in this morning. Jays foraging and Buzzards circling. A Goosander too.

H

First H2's Tree Sparrow, now Ken's Osprey, two species I'd normally hope to get on the GL during the year, but I'm not bitter.......................

No, not a bit

No, not at all

Wow. A late bird, that, Ken!

Things very autumnal now - north winds and a possible Redwing in this morning. Jays foraging and Buzzards circling. A Goosander too.

H

Interestingly a colleague texted me at 8.50am with a ''Highly'' probable Osprey drifting South over his abode near Cambridge (North of me, a ''no prisoners'' 45 min. drive this am), needless to say I responded with the courteous reply Well Done!...(then under my breath you jammy so and so!)

I like to think that it was the same bird....I'll never know! :eek!:

Two of the Black Redstart seen in April are still here and several of the Green Finches , some swallows en route still around at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back