• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! (1 Viewer)

VickyJ

I have a robin who built a nest under the awning of the only entrance into my apartment. There are eggs in the nest but I am afraid that the robin will be hurt when we open and close the door. I have a young adult living in the apartment to who comes and goes a lot in the evening. Would it be more humane to remove the nest now? There really isn't a safe place to relocate the nest. I'm sick over this. I love birds and I'm just afraid that if I leave the nest and the babies hatch that they could be hurt or abandoned by the parents. Does anyone have any suggestions? This awning is at the top of a very small porch and the door opens in such a way that the bird could hit it if it flies off the nest when startled.

I have a robin who built a nest under the awning of the only entrance into my apartment. There are eggs in the nest but I am afraid that the robin will be hurt when we open and close the door. I have a young adult living in the apartment to who comes and goes a lot in the evening. Would it be more humane to remove the nest now? There really isn't a safe place to relocate the nest. I'm sick over this. I love birds and I'm just afraid that if I leave the nest and the babies hatch that they could be hurt or abandoned by the parents. Does anyone have any suggestions? This awning is at the top of a very small porch and the door opens in such a way that the bird could hit it if it flies off the nest when startled.

If I were you I’d just leave the nest alone & let things take their course. The female--the male doesn’t incubate--might desert eggs if disturbed a lot but she’s very unlikely to abandon nestlings, so once the eggs are hatched the young should be OK unless predated or physically injured in some way. Robin nestlings generally fledge (leave the nest) long before they can fly, scattering over the near landscape where their parents continue feeding them until they’re able to fend for themselves. Nest leaving normally takes place about 2 weeks after the eggs have hatched. I mention this so that if & when fledging occurs you will know not to try to return the babies to the nest where they don’t belong at this stage & won’t stay. Sorry to be of so little help. Good luck with the nest.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back