• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bookham Common (1 Viewer)

alex berryman

On 7th May I see there is a guided walk at Bookham Common at 9:30 am led by the Surrey bird Club. Does anybody know the site, and what am I likely to see (bird wise!)?

Alex

I don't know the site personally but I think it is a mixture of mature woodland and some scrub. My guess - and it's not anything more than that - is that the main interest will be hearing birds. I know that there are nightingales there and many of the commoner warblers. I guess there might be cuckoo and turtle dove but they are both becoming harder to find in Surrey. I don't know whether there's anything about Bookham Common on Fatbirder?
Ken

I went to Bookham on Friday morning, and as Ken said, you'll probably hear more than you see. Heard Cuckoo within minutes of stepping out of the car, although it was very elusive with all the leaves now on the trees, and Garden Warbler and Blackcap (giving me a chance to brush up on my ability to seperate these two by song!), as well as Whitethroat and Willow Warbler were singing by the LNHS hut.

Little Grebe are nesting on the newly renovated ponds, and a birder we spoke to said he had located a number of singing Nightingale on his last few trips to the Common, although we failed to find any.

Good luck- I might come along if I'm free on the Saturday, and if it means I finally see my first British Nightingale!

The leader, Alan Prowse, is an expert on bird ID, especially warbler song. He has got some brilliant photos on our website (see below).
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back