• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8X42 ER problem (1 Viewer)

SRVD

Hi,

I have recently purchased Zeiss Conquest HD 8X42 from India.

Its a wonderful binocs but I am facing Eye Relief issue. I have tried both with Spects and without Spects. In both the occasion I encountered with black ring around the object (although with spects its relatively better). Once I keep the binocs few mm away from my eyes, I manage to get a clear view.

So I have recently returned after one week of trial .

I can see few very old discussion where in some member faced same issue .

I have got few queries:

1. Is this problem still persist with Zeiss Conquest. If any member who has recently purchased the Zeiss Conquest share his/her view, it would be helpful.

2. As mentioned in earlier discussion, if Zeiss is still replacing the existing eye cap with longer eye cap. If yes how reliable the replacement in terms of effectiveness/durability/ease of operations.

Regards,

Saurav

I have the 8x32's and Zeiss developed new eye pieces which added needed relief but they're a poor design IMO not fitting the outstanding optics of the Conquest line. I had the 8x42's and returned them for the 8x32's because the relief was even worse on the 8x42's.

I had the same issue - just way too much eye relief. I contacted Zeiss and they sent me replacement eyecups which extend out further but did not fully resolve the issue for me. Then I read something on this forum for different binoculars involving o-rings, which resolved my issue.

Basically, you can unscrew and remove the eyecups and then place an o-ring (or more than 1 if necessary) down in the threads. Then you can screw the eyecups on and they will extend just a little bit further out.

Definitely try the extended eyecups first. It is extremely easy to unscrew the old ones and screw on the replacement. They are pretty much the same from a build perspective, just a little longer.

Build quality and optically, I think the binoculars are fantastic.

Hi Saurav,as mentioned already, the Std eyecups for some people may be too short.
I found I needed the longer ones with the 8x32 also.
Zeiss will supply them to you at no charge-- and I can assure you they will truly enhance the viewing experience.Just simply screw the old ones off and the new on, and your right to go--I hope you are willing to give them another try with the longer cups, as when the eye relief issue is fixed--- they are really so good!
Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back