• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How To Try, Before I Buy? (1 Viewer)

Dantanamo

After perusing this forum a few years ago, I couldn't quite justify the cost but had decided that (some day) a pair of Zeiss 8x32 FL binoculars would be just the ticket for my beginner-level bird watching and/or nature travel adventures. I did the research, read exhaustive reviews, opinions, etc, and finally settled on that particular brand and model. Having owned several pairs of binoculars over the years, I definitely prefer lower power models; 8x or even 7x suit my needs best.

That was back around 2005, so it's safe to say I put this idea on the back burner.

Now I'm finally ready to purchase a premium pair (I like Zeiss optics), and it seems the folks over at Zeiss have been busy developing lots of new binos in recent years.

I live in the Chicago area of the US, and would love to find a way that I could simply pick up and view a few demo models firsthand. Any suggestions as to how I could do this?

After perusing this forum a few years ago, I couldn't quite justify the cost but had decided that (some day) a pair of Zeiss 8x32 FL binoculars would be just the ticket for my beginner-level bird watching and/or nature travel adventures. I did the research, read exhaustive reviews, opinions, etc, and finally settled on that particular brand and model. Having owned several pairs of binoculars over the years, I definitely prefer lower power models; 8x or even 7x suit my needs best.

That was back around 2005, so it's safe to say I put this idea on the back burner.

Now I'm finally ready to purchase a premium pair (I like Zeiss optics), and it seems the folks over at Zeiss have been busy developing lots of new binos in recent years.

I live in the Chicago area of the US, and would love to find a way that I could simply pick up and view a few demo models firsthand. Any suggestions as to how I could do this?

Well, you could take a drive up Route 90 to Middleton, Wisconsin and look at the Binoculars at Eagle Optics. This is your best bet to try a variety of them. They have all of them. It would be at least a day trip though.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/pages/store-hours-and-location

There is also a Cabelas store in the Chicago Area which might have some of the binoculars you are interested in. Call first to make sure what they have in stock.

Bob

Well, you could take a drive up Route 90 to Middleton, Wisconsin and look at the Binoculars at Eagle Optics. This is your best bet to try a variety of them. They have most of them. It would be at least a day trip though.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/pages/store-hours-and-location

There is also a Cabelas store in the Chicago Area which might have some of the binoculars you are interested in. Call first to make sure what they have in stock.

Bob

Bought 2 Pairs

I decided to buy both the Zeiss 8x32 SF and HT from B&H photo to compare and then return either one or both. Called them first, and they have a 30-day return policy if you return them in the condition that you received them.

Looking at -and through- both pairs today, I have a few brief (and purely subjective) observations.

Both the HT and SF have a very high-quality fit and finish, with smooth movements while focusing, rotating the eye cups, and adjusting the distance between lens barrels. The viewing quality of the SF pair really got my attention...in a good way. I observed beautiful contrast, with fine resolution and a high dynamic range of detail in both shaded areas and highlights. Panning across my backyard garden and foliage, I didn't experience the so-called "rolling ball" effect that so many have mentioned. I observed great image clarity edge-to-edge, and a wonderful rendition of faithful colors.

The HT pair shared many of the same qualities as the SFs, but simply didn't have quite the same visual "pop," to use the phrase. My eye prescription is such that I have a -.25 difference in my left eye, so I kept trying to adjust the central compensation knob to achieve the same detailed clarity that I was seeing in the SFs. Never quite got there. I should also mention that the HT focusing knob is smooth and buttery, but heavier than that on the SFs. In my opinion, the lighter-feeling knob is easier to use.

Overall, I'll give the nod to the SF version. Love the feel of them, and the viewing quality is a real treat.

Hi,

welcome to Birdforum!

Please let us know more results for this phenomenal test of two pairs nobody has seen before... or did you mean you got both models in 8x42?

Sorry, couldn't resist and cheers,

Joachim

Dan:

Another warm welcome to Birdforum. You did things right by trying both of these fine optics
by finding a seller with a nice return policy.

I agree with you, I have an SF, and it would be my choice in many ways.

Be sure to report back on how you are getting along with your new Zeiss.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back