• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Battery charging requirements??? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
The 7D uses LP-E6 batteries.
The instructions and charger are extremely simple.
I have just put a brand new battery on charge and it took just 90 minutes (maximum) to fully charge i.e. solid green light.

I 'thought' that new batteries had to be left overnight for the very first charge........is this no longer the case ? am I getting mixed up with other battery types ?
Thanks

I think you're mixing up the 7D type camera batteries with the regular AA rechargables (which when charged with a slow recharge, which is more healthy for them, it can take all night to recharge them).

Far as I know if you just leave the battery in the charging slot it won't get any more power fed to it and will just sit there with the green light blinking and the camera staring at you - willing you to load the battery in and hear that 8fps shutter :)

I like to keep an eye on mine when charging and just give 15mins more once i see the green light
And no i dont just sit there watching it lol
Rob.

The 7D uses LP-E6 batteries.
The instructions and charger are extremely simple.
I have just put a brand new battery on charge and it took just 90 minutes (maximum) to fully charge i.e. solid green light.

I 'thought' that new batteries had to be left overnight for the very first charge........is this no longer the case ? am I getting mixed up with other battery types ?
Thanks

The 7d (along with all current Canons) uses Lithium Ion batteries which are supplied charged, though they do discharge a little in storage, so don't be surprised at your observation.
Generally speaking Lithium batteries are better charged at a fairly rapid rate (which is exactly what Canon chargers do) so even fully discharged cells will be ready in about 2 hours or so. If you have been out playing with your camera put the battery on charge whist you are downloading and deleting the obvious bloopers and then look at the charger - it's probably already charged!
P.S. Don't leave the battery in the charger overnight, unlike Ni Cad or NIMH batteries this is not good for Lithiums.
Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back