• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Panasonic FS16. (1 Viewer)

Andy1979

Hello,

I have recently bought the FS16 from Opticron to go with my HR66 28x Scope. It is a really good bit of kit which just goes on and off without disturbance to the eyepiece. However, I don't seem to be able to get very sharp images. I am new to photography and so have a few questions:

1. Which picture size should I be using (the options are all 4.3 then either 14m, 10m, 5m, 3m or 0.3m)?

2. Which sensitivity setting should I be using (options are ISO, 100, 200, 400, 800 or 1600)?

3. Should I be changing any other settings? Such as the iExposure, iResolution or White Balance.

4. My tripod is not in a good state and doesn't really hold steady in position. How much will this affect the quality of the picture and would it change if I had a wire thing to take the picture rather than just pressing the button.

As an example, here are a few shots of a Great Grey Shrike I found yesterday at Shellness in Kent.

Many thanks and sorry for so many questions - but I really am ignorant when it comes to all this stuff, but want to be able to take some decent photos!

Andy M

Attachments

• Great Grey Shrike 20111108 Shellness Swale NNR (1) - Copy.JPG
    Great Grey Shrike 20111108 Shellness Swale NNR (1) - Copy.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Great Grey Shrike 20111108 Shellness Swale NNR (3) - Copy.JPG
    Great Grey Shrike 20111108 Shellness Swale NNR (3) - Copy.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 175
Certainly an air release/remote will help with sharpness, but with the visibility and moisture filled air yesterday I doubt you could have done much better. Wait for a bit of sunlight :)

I made a "copy" of the adaptor and added a column to attach an air release.

Olypan138.jpg

Olypan141.jpg

Den

Last edited:
Hello,

I have recently bought the FS16 from Opticron to go with my HR66 28x Scope. It is a really good bit of kit which just goes on and off without disturbance to the eyepiece. However, I don't seem to be able to get very sharp images. I am new to photography and so have a few questions:

1. Which picture size should I be using (the options are all 4.3 then either 14m, 10m, 5m, 3m or 0.3m)?

2. Which sensitivity setting should I be using (options are ISO, 100, 200, 400, 800 or 1600)?

3. Should I be changing any other settings? Such as the iExposure, iResolution or White Balance.

4. My tripod is not in a good state and doesn't really hold steady in position. How much will this affect the quality of the picture and would it change if I had a wire thing to take the picture rather than just pressing the button.

As an example, here are a few shots of a Great Grey Shrike I found yesterday at Shellness in Kent.

Many thanks and sorry for so many questions - but I really am ignorant when it comes to all this stuff, but want to be able to take some decent photos!

Andy M

I bought the Opticron kit to use with my Nikon ED50, the very helpful guy at InFocus suggested the following settings:

Picture size 4:3 14m
Flash off
AWB
Under expose -2/3
Scene - Sport

He also suggested using the self timer when possible, set at 2 secs to avoid camera shake, and burst mode which takes 3 photos in quick succession when the shutter is pressed and released, more if the shutter is held down.

I've taken some reasonable shots of the garden birds through two lots of double glazing using these settings. Hope this helps.

Distance will pay a big part too Andy. No need be up the birds ass but closer shots with little need for cropping will be the best. I personaly dont like zooming into much with the camera either. And take 1000s of pics law of averages one will sharp:king:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back