• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Confusion (1 Viewer)

Marley

Hello to all,

I am curious to know the main differences between the EL and the SLC lines. Besides the obvious physical differences, are there big differences in the quality of the optics?

I have seen several BF reports that state that the SLCs are great bins, but they are priced so much lower than the ELs that it sort of had me wondering. If Swarovski is marketing (and pricing) their products as the best in the business, then why the big decrease for the SLCs?

I am in the market for a 7x42 and I will look at the SLC before I make any decisions, especially if you can get Swaro quality at a reasonable price. I know. I know. You get what you pay for. I was just curious to know if the SLCs fall into the same category as the Nikon 8x32 SE, allowing the buyer to obtain great views without the high cost.

Thanks to all for the help.

Rgds,

Steffan

Last edited:
The novel design of the ELs as well as the name make them cost so much. Trust me, the SLCs would cost much more if there was no EL. As for optics, the SLCs are preported to have a slight yellowish tint to the image, not too much, but enough for high lattitude Europeans to break through the funky light they have up here.

Marley said:
Hello to all,

I am curious to know the main differences between the EL and the SLC lines. Besides the obvious physical differences, are there big differences in the quality of the optics?

I have seen several BF reports that state that the SLCs are great bins, but they are priced so much lower than the ELs that it sort of had me wondering. If Swarovski is marketing (and pricing) their products as the best in the business, then why the big decrease for the SLCs?

I am in the market for a 7x42 and I will look at the SLC before I make any decisions, especially if you can get Swaro quality at a reasonable price. I know. I know. You get what you pay for. I was just curious to know if the SLCs fall into the same category as the Nikon 8x32 SE, allowing the buyer to obtain great views without the high cost.

Thanks to all for the help.

Rgds,

Steffan

Hello Steffan,

You've asked some great questions. From what I can see (no pun) the optical quality of the SLC and EL series is equivalent. At least I haven't seen any difference and have not heard any crowing from others. From a performance standpoint the EL focuses closer (3-5 ft.) and is ~10% lighter than its SLC sibling, e.g., compare the 10x42 EL and SLC. The mechanical design of the SLC goes back to the early 90s, whereas, the highly innovative EL open-hinge design was developed much more recently. However, Swarovski has always broken new ground with ergonomics, as evidenced by the thumb grooves used originally in the SL porro series, and later carried into the SLC and EL designs. The tethered objective covers and rainguard were also important system engineering innovations that were carried along.

Back in the early 90s, the SLC was primarily marketed to the hunting community, at least in my area, but was picked up quickly by birders (aided by terrific BVD reviews). Subtle coating changes were introduced (often unceremoniously) in response to community comments, as well as changes to the armor materials as it was learned how polyurethane interacts with insect repellents. Again, these lessons were incorporated into the EL design, which was primarily marketed to birders, — and innovative EL features, like the removable eyecups, were back-fit into the SLCs. When the most recent "Swarobright" coating was developed in the last few years it was incorporated into SLC and EL models alike. The lesson, I think, is that Swarovski treats the two product lines as siblings with equal stature. Accordingly, if new glass were introduced at some point in the future, my guess is that it will again be incorporated into both series.

Now as to price. Based on hinge mechanics, shorter focus, lighter weight, and probably higher procuction costs, it makes sense to me that the EL would be the more expensive of the two series. Since 1995, when I bought my first 8x30 SLC Mk II, the price has advanced rather consistently at about 5% per year. The company itself doesn't discount or sell "demo" products, so the only refurbished Swaro SLCs are the ones fixed for owners. Curiously, back in '95 the SLC's competitors were the much more expensive Leica Ultras (BAs) and Zeiss BGAT*P. Today, those models (now more equally priced) are fading from the scene, but SLCs continue on with only a modest makeover. Surely, Swarovski must be doing something right here.

Finally, regarding your selection. When I made my own decision to buy a 10x42 SLC a few months ago it was based on comparison with the 10x42 EL and others (Leica, Zeiss, Nikon). The 4 ft. closer focus and 3 oz. weight differences were offset by the more rugged construction and superb balance of the SLC (IMO, of course). Then, as now, I delight in using it at every opportunity. Finally, the FISMO (FInn Stick MOnopod, see review) makes it into a superb long-range observation system. That's not as easily done with the EL design.

Not being a 7x guy, I hope these observations help you with your choice of a 7x42. By all accounts, and my own observation, the 7x42 SLC shares the same high quality optics and system features with the 10x42. At the moment it may be gotten at a relatively good price as dealers clear inventory for the SLCnew models.

Enjoy the view whatever you do.
Elkcub

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back