• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cannon IS Storage Practices (1 Viewer)

Theo98

Eurasian Goldfinch
It seems that the Cannon variable-prism image stabilized binoculars has a "best-performance practice" (with possible added life expectancy), that can be solidified by Storage in the Horizontal Position. No where in the manual does it state this, but Cannon BF owner\experienced members have mentioned this simple practice to achieve consistent and reliable IS functions in their optics.

I was unable to locate titled documentation to this effect, but did discover relative user experiences that state horizontal storage contributes to reduced\relief of IS jitters and artifacts. Since the Canon IS mechanism seems to be a delicate and complicated technical marvel, conclusions of this storage benefit makes common sense to me and is very easily implemented.

BF member Super Dave, started this thread 6 years ago, followed by CN member Apollo 2 years later. I found these threads informative and thought they could assist past and new Cannon IS bino owners.

Thanks to those members who mentioned it to me. My 10X42L IS work fantastic and hopefully with maintaining a non-use "lay-me-down" storage practice, they'll give a very long life of top IS performance!

Any further comments or experiences on IS health tips is welcomed...;)

Ted

I've had my Canon 15x45 IS binoculars for 19 years. I only learned about horizontal storage here a couple months ago. I've stored more or less randomly over that time, perhaps more horizontal than vertical, but not by a wide margin. I've never had any issues.

Alan

The 10x42 L I think switches itself off when held vertically.
Probably not the 15x45?
Different electronics and battery saving changes.

I don't know about variprism stretching, but seems possible.

But I store all IS binoculars horizontally now.

I have an early pair of the 10x30 IS which have always been stored horizontally but that's the way I store all of my binoculars. I've never had an issue with these old Canons and they are truly excellent for stargazing although they show color fringing on bright objects.

I've got a 15x50 IS that I've had long enough that I can't remember when I bought it. It eventually developed a problem that made me feel as if I was swaying forward and backward.

I read about storing them horizontally and after I started doing that, the problem went away.

So, it seems to be a good idea.

I also own 10x30 IS and 10x42L IS and I've had no issues with them.

The 10x42 L I think switches itself off when held vertically.

Binastro, after 10 seconds of vertical hold, the 10X42L does indeed turn off the IS!

I've got a 15x50 IS that I've had long enough that I can't remember when I bought it. It eventually developed a problem that made me feel as if I was swaying forward and backward.

I read about storing them horizontally and after I started doing that, the problem went away.

So, it seems to be a good idea.

I also own 10x30 IS and 10x42L IS and I've had no issues with them.

BB, it does seem to be a good practice. A member in one of the older threads said that Canon stated a recommended horizontally storage. I called Canon USA binocular tech services today, they wouldn't confirm any "recommended practice" of storage, but stated it certainly "wouldn't hurt" to keep their IS instruments stored laying down!

There are too many comments from owners such as yourself, that have "fixed" any IS issues with this simple technique. For me, it's no-brainer insurance and well worth this performance maintenance and thus, the long term optical rewards! :t:

Ted

I store my Canon IS bins horisontally, as a rule, but haven't noticed any negative effects by storing them vertically.

I keep my 12x36 IIs ready for use, stored vertically with the lenses down on a convenient counter. I've never noticed any problems with them. My 15x50s are also stored that way, although usually in their case, again with no problems.

Clear skies, Alan

This issue of IS artifacts seems to only be a concern for the 3 largest models. I have owned all the Canon models except the 8x25, and have only been able to observe it in the 10x42, 15x50, and 18x50. I had owned my original 15x50 for years before hearing of this issue, and had never previously observed it. But after reading about it, sure enough, I saw it. So for some it can be a non-issue, while others seem to think it's a game changer. It does seem to be worse in the higher powers, and not all will be affected the same. Horizontal storage does minimize or eliminate the problem. But if you've never seen it, you probably don't have to worry about it. You can read my detailed experience with all this in the Apollo thread linked in the OP.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back