• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland Mini-Vacations 2017 (2 Viewers)

From here it was off to The Pass of the Cattle and the weather was beautiful again. On arrival we wandered up to the masts. The weather being so good we headed on to a further Cairn. Despite our best efforts we could not locate any Ptarmigan. But, as I said to Sars, when you're in such a stunning location it really doesn't matter:t:

Attachments

• IMG_804.jpg
    IMG_804.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_803.jpg
    IMG_803.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_801.jpg
    IMG_801.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 47
Apologies for the complete lack of photos of birds. A VERY kind person handed in my camera and the Mull/ Oban police were superb in getting it back to me. Unfortunately the SX50 didn't survive being left at the side of a Loch for a period of time. Shame. Was a great little camera.

Rich

A couple of Handa photos. There are Bonxies behind me - honest:-O

Attachments

• IMG_805.jpg
    IMG_805.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_806.jpg
    IMG_806.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 37
From here it was over to Loch Garten. An Osprey flew over by the village which was good to see. At Loch Garten itself we got chatting to a birder who was on some Crossbills. A nice year tick. She also mentioned that she'd been up to Cairngorm and had Ptarmigan within seconds of arriving.

Wandering around the reserve, which happens to be one of my favourite walks, we heard a couple of Cresties and some Siskins.

From here we drove out the back way of Nethy up to the Tomintoul Road. Just past Sliemore Steading was a field full of Curlews and Lapwing. In amongst them was a handsome summer plumaged Golden Plover. Further along the road gave the usual Pheasants and Red Grouse.

Now back to Grantown to locate the B&B.

In Grantown we stayed here:

http://www.haus-alba.co.uk

A brilliant place. Huge, comfortable bed. Very clean. Quiet and slap bang in the middle of Grantown. David and Beate were great hosts. David also does Whisky tours as well as guided trips into the mountains. He also has good knowledge of the local wildlife and was extremely helpful in this respect. We'll definitely be staying here again.

On David's recommendation we went to Craig Bar for dinner. You can have anything you want as long as it Pie and Chips. My kind of place. Trade Winds on tap as well:t: Got talking to the owner, Beryl, who is a real character.

http://www.thecraigbar.co.uk

The venison Pie and chips was great. Next we headed over to The Grant Arms. Another pint of Trade Winds and a Glayva quickly followed. The young lad behind the bar was very helpful and showed us where the Osprey room was. Certainly seems the guests had been getting some good birds. Getting on for 11 pm now so it was back to the B&B for a shower, and an early night before an early start tomorrow.

Rich

Last edited:
So with a 9 a.m flight there wasn't much time to fit in any birding on the last day. Decided against the Caper watch at Loch Garten given the lack of sightings mentioned on a recent thread. Did go for a drive around Abernethy though stopping off at decent looking locations. It was at one of these locations I heard a male Capercaillie:D:D:D

Despite the bird remaining frustratingly out of sight over a ridge, it was a truly exhilarating experience. On my year list I'm counting heard only birds. For a lifer though my own self imposed rules mean I have to see it.

Flight back with EasyJet was smooth. Silver Zone car parking at Bristol Airport was cheap and efficient. Toyed with stopping off at Goldcliff on the way back for the Temnicks Stint but a mate of mine already on site said it wasn't present. Typically, when West of Cardiff Kev messaged me to say it had turned up. :-O

Need to contact Hawke about my scope. The thread where the scope attaches to the tripod has gone. Hopefully it won't be too much of an issue.

To sum up: another superb trip to Scotland. All the accommodation was superb. Some excellent birds. Delicious, as always, seafood. And some great walks with not too shabby company:-O. Looking forward to next year already with a couple of ideas to mull over.

Rich

3 weeks to go!!

A bit unexpected this trip. My baby sis is 30 at the end of September and, after having spent New Years Eve on Skye last year, she wanted to celebrate her birthday back up in God's country - well done Lu:t:

I can't remember the last time we were up in Autumn so we're really looking forward to this. We're staying in Nethy again which is a fantastic base. Hopefully we'll avoid the last of the summer swine (as Crawley refers to late midges:-O)

Might be able to grab the odd birding session here and there but unfortunately a day trip to the Outer Hebs has been ruled out. Not by me of course but by the boss!:-C. We will be taking the boys on the Jacobite steam train out of Fort William so I will take the bins to scan the BWJ's for anything interesting at Mallaig. Lu also wants to do a boat trip out of Gairloch so there's the off chance of Skuas etc. here. Hopefully we might chanc upon some juvenile eagles as well.

If anyone has any suggestions for autumnal birding areas they'd be much appreciated :t: Or any decent locations I can take the boys to see Red Deer rutting.

The new SX60 arrived a few weeks so hopefully I'll get some pics to add to this trip.

Cheers,

Rich

Hi Rich,

Findhorn Valley for red deer and juvvy eagles, though any valley will work for deer. By pure coincidence, the car park at the end of FV is the best place to look/listen for both so you can in all honesty say that you taking everyone to a good place for deer and conveniently forget to mention the birds <big grin>

Gairloch's along way and the boat is the sort that might encourage a bit of impromptu chumming if you get my drift. Note well, make sure you sit up wind...

Would still opt for the Ullapool - Stornaway ferry as foot passengers. Boat is much more stable with restaurants bar on board. Last time we did it autumn, we had hundreds of dolphins and porpoises, minkes, plus seabirds. Being that much higher, you get better views of the scenery (stunning) than you do on the inflatables plus the chance to look down on the wildlife. The height also gives you a chance to scan greater distances, increasing your chances of picking things up in the first place. And a lot cheaper too.

Have a great trip wherever you end up.

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi Rich,

Findhorn Valley for red deer and juvvy eagles, though any valley will work for deer. By pure coincidence, the car park at the end of FV is the best place to look/listen for both so you can in all honesty say that you taking everyone to a good place for deer and conveniently forget to mention the birds <big grin>

Gairloch's along way and the boat is the sort that might encourage a bit of impromptu chumming if you get my drift. Note well, make sure you sit up wind...

Would still opt for the Ullapool - Stornaway ferry as foot passengers. Boat is much more stable with restaurants bar on board. Last time we did it autumn, we had hundreds of dolphins and porpoises, minkes, plus seabirds. Being that much higher, you get better views of the scenery (stunning) than you do on the inflatables plus the chance to look down on the wildlife. The height also gives you a chance to scan greater distances, increasing your chances of picking things up in the first place. And a lot cheaper too.

Have a great trip wherever you end up.

Cheers,

Gordon
Cheers Gordon. We're struggling to get on the Jacobite Train at the moment. I've been a little o:D underhanded and suggested we go on the Harry Potter ferry instead suggesting that Ron and Harry go to Stornaway in one of the books. I appreciate it's a million to one chance but it might just work:-O Gotta love Pratchett.

Thanks for the advice re. Findhorn. We'll give i whirl one of the days. I expect my duck will stand by the end of the trip though:-O

Rich

The Findhorn Valley - sorry, I'll never get used to calling it Strathdearn - can be brilliant in autumn. Worth stopping just before the turn off to Farr (for deer obviously). I've had a flock of 130 mistle thrushes there, crossbills right out in the open there in the past. Good spot for WTSEs too. Remember to look for the feral goats by the side of the road - the young are impossibly cute. From the car park, stand with the river at your back and scan the ridge in front of you - we've had amazing views of goldies there. The colours too should be spectacular at that time of year, not least because it seems to be a very good berry year. Should bring in the winter thrushes too. Which reminds me of the time when we had had 10,000 fieldfares, 2,000 redwings, 400 blackbirds etc funnelling through Insh Marshes. Which reminds me... Ahhh, someone should write a book about all this

... and the bridge over the burn that comes down the Farr Road, I've generally had pretty close views of Dipper.

The Findhorn Valley - sorry, I'll never get used to calling it Strathdearn - can be brilliant in autumn. Worth stopping just before the turn off to Farr (for deer obviously). I've had a flock of 130 mistle thrushes there, crossbills right out in the open there in the past. Good spot for WTSEs too. Remember to look for the feral goats by the side of the road - the young are impossibly cute. From the car park, stand with the river at your back and scan the ridge in front of you - we've had amazing views of goldies there. The colours too should be spectacular at that time of year, not least because it seems to be a very good berry year. Should bring in the winter thrushes too. Which reminds me of the time when we had had 10,000 fieldfares, 2,000 redwings, 400 blackbirds etc funnelling through Insh Marshes. Which reminds me... Ahhh, someone should write a book about all this

I'd buy it.....again:-O

Remember to look for the feral goats by the side of the road - the young are impossibly cute.

Some fine big Billies, as well, you won't find any trolls under bridges up the Findhorn!

NB they can be anywhere in the valley (up at the top end) or up on the ridges, a bit of scoping should pin them down if they aren't close.

Good for Mountain Hares up there too, can be anywhere but best slope is accessed along the track that goes off to the left of the road not far below the top car park (half a mile maybe), crosses the river on a solid wooden bridge good enough for vehicles (though don't take yours, its private, plenty of public parking space near it though), goes up past a pine plantation thence onto the heather clad slopes. Nice if you feel like a walk.

John

Some fine big Billies, as well, you won't find any trolls under bridges up the Findhorn!

NB they can be anywhere in the valley (up at the top end) or up on the ridges, a bit of scoping should pin them down if they aren't close.

Good for Mountain Hares up there too, can be anywhere but best slope is accessed along the track that goes off to the left of the road not far below the top car park (half a mile maybe), crosses the river on a solid wooden bridge good enough for vehicles (though don't take yours, its private, plenty of public parking space near it though), goes up past a pine plantation thence onto the heather clad slopes. Nice if you feel like a walk.

John

Cheers John. I've always fancied taking that path but have never got around to it.

Rich

Rich

Now, if the American redstart were to hang around for bit longer??????????

Three trips in one year you lucky *******

I am seriously looking to counting my pension coffers to see if they may stretch to a wee cottage up there somewhere when the time comes (unfortunately not for a few more years yet).

I am desperately trying to convince OH that we should take our traditional October half term break in that direction next year to get a bit of autumn birding in.
Have a great trip.

Rich

Now, if the American redstart were to hang around for bit longer??????????

Three trips in one year you lucky *******

I am seriously looking to counting my pension coffers to see if they may stretch to a wee cottage up there somewhere when the time comes (unfortunately not for a few more years yet).

I am desperately trying to convince OH that we should take our traditional October half term break in that direction next year to get a bit of autumn birding in.
Have a great trip.
Cheers Paul. Can't quite believe it myself:eek!:

I've been going up there long enough to remember when you could buy plots of land by Tomatin for a really affordable price. I blame the OH for missing out on that oneo:D

Congrats on the Phals,

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back