• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stupid Question. (1 Viewer)

AnotherNightOwl

Registered Guest
I have just bought the Canon 10x30 IS... AND LOVE THEM. I am not so keen on the ocular???( if thats wrong please let me know) covers.

Can you get a rainguard cover for them?

Do i need them?

Will they be usefull?

What i know about binoculars you could write on a pin head, so forgive me if these are really stupid questions.

Last edited:
AnotherNightOwl said:
I have just bought the Canon 10x30 IS... AND LOVE THEM.

Can you get a rainguard cover for them?

Yes, you can get a rain guard for those binoculars. I believe that the Nikon one piece rainguard will fit them (as supplied with Nikon SE and EII). But, are you sure that you want those binoculars out in the rain?

Luca said:
Yes, you can get a rain guard for those binoculars. I believe that the Nikon one piece rainguard will fit them (as supplied with Nikon SE and EII). But, are you sure that you want those binoculars out in the rain?

Hi Luca.

I don't want the rain guard to take them out in the rain. I have read other people think they are a good idea to use regardless of the weather...They use them to stop crumbs, etc if you are eating. Also if you are moving about in woodland, to stop bits falling in them. The rubber eye covers remind me of small bins...no pun intended. I know they come with small plastic covers, but i would lose them easily if i used them.

Do you think i need them?(rainguard cover)

Will they be usefull? ...or do you think i am DAFT to even think about getting some?

Last edited:
Ocular covers

AnotherNightOwl said:
Hi Luca.

I don't want the rain guard to take them out in the rain. I have read other people think they are a good idea to use regardless of the weather...They use them to stop crumbs, etc if you are eating. Also if you are moving about in woodland, to stop bits falling in them. The rubber eye covers remind me of small bins...no pun intended. I know they come with small plastic covers, but i would lose them easily if i used them.

Do you think i need them?

Will they be usefull? ...or do you think i am DAFT to even think about getting some?
I find ocular covers most useful, you can become very adept at moving them quickly when necessary and they do protect unwanted, miscellaneous materials from getting in the way of your viewing. I have once had a gull target me (or the binoculars), and got poop on the cover!
Regards, John

jjg213 said:
I find ocular covers most useful, you can become very adept at moving them quickly when necessary and they do protect unwanted, miscellaneous materials from getting in the way of your viewing. I have once had a gull target me (or the binoculars), and got poop on the cover!
Regards, John

Thanks John.

Do you have the Canon 10x30 IS?
When you say ocular covers, Do you mean those little plastic caps that come with the binoculars? Or do you mean those ones that are joined together and attach to the strap?

Are ocular covers and rain guards the same thing? or are they different, but do a similar thing?

I have once had a gull target me (or the binoculars), and got poop on the cover!
Regards, John[/QUOTE]

That's got to be THE best reason to use them... Bird bombing Protecors.

Last edited:
AnotherNightOwl said:
Thanks John.

Do you have the Canon 10x30 IS?
When you say ocular covers, Do you mean those little plastic caps that come with the binoculars? Or do you mean those ones that are joined together and attach to the strap?

Are ocular covers and rain guards the same thing? or are they different, but do a similar thing?

I have once had a gull target me (or the binoculars), and got poop on the cover!
Regards, John

That's got to be THE best reason to use them... Bird bombing Protecors.[/QUOTE]
Hi, No I don't have any Canon binoculars, I have Leica, Swarovski, Nikon, Zeiss, etc., and the connected type, which attach to the strap, do a good job, for me, at least. I found them to be sowewhat of a nuisance at first, but when they are attached to the strap on one side only, they work well.
regards, John

jjg213 said:
That's got to be THE best reason to use them... Bird bombing Protecors.
Hi, No I don't have any Canon binoculars, I have Leica, Swarovski, Nikon, Zeiss, etc., and the connected type, which attach to the strap, do a good job, for me, at least. I found them to be sowewhat of a nuisance at first, but when they are attached to the strap on one side only, they work well.
regards, John[/QUOTE]

Thanks again John.
I recognise the brand names, (quality) are any or all of them waterproof?

Does anyone use a rainguard on non waterproof binoculars, purely to protect the eyepieces?

I'm sorry if it seems like i am keeping on. I am not able to work because i have severe rheumatiod arthritis, and for me these were a lot of money( I know they are cheap compared to the high end bins) and i want to look after them. But at the same time i do not want to look STUPID by using a rainguard for non waterproof binoculars, if nobody else does.

Questions, questions and more silly questions. That's all i seem to be asking...sorry

Since discovering the advantages of the rainguard attached to strap, I wouldn't want to be without one on any bins. I am slowly developing the habit of putting it on at all times I am not actualy looking through them. I even remember sometimes to flip the guard off before actualy putting them to my eyes. :)

Better than buiscuit crumbs or fag ash in the eye any day. I find the ones with individual eyepiece covers joined with a flexible joint stay on better for me than the single cover type that covers both. I tend to climb, crawl and fall over quite a bit so the friction tends to keep them on better.

I think they are eaqualy as important for keeping bits out as they are at keeping rain of your lenses.

Don't worry about asking as many questions as you like, no one is forced to respond if they don't want too.

rozinante said:
Since discovering the advantages of the rainguard attached to strap, I wouldn't want to be without one on any bins. I am slowly developing the habit of putting it on at all times I am not actualy looking through them. I even remember sometimes to flip the guard off before actualy putting them to my eyes. :)

Better than buiscuit crumbs or fag ash in the eye any day. I find the ones with individual eyepiece covers joined with a flexible joint stay on better for me than the single cover type that covers both. I tend to climb, crawl and fall over quite a bit so the friction tends to keep them on better.

I think they are eaqualy as important for keeping bits out as they are at keeping rain of your lenses.

Don't worry about asking as many questions as you like, no one is forced to respond if they don't want too.

Hi rozinate.

Many thanks for your reply, i will now try and get a rainguard.

Ocular covers

Hi again, Among the binoculars I have and use are some that are waterproof and some are not. I use ocular covers on all of them, regardless. As far as looking silly with ocular covers on non-waterproof binoculars, the person seeing them that way should find something else to think about.
BTW the only questions that are stupid are the ones that are not asked! Keep questioning, it is the way to learn, and enjoy your bins!
Regards, John

jjg213 said:
Hi again, Among the binoculars I have and use are some that are waterproof and some are not. I use ocular covers on all of them, regardless. As far as looking silly with ocular covers on non-waterproof binoculars, the person seeing them that way should find something else to think about.
BTW the only questions that are stupid are the ones that are not asked! Keep questioning, it is the way to learn, and enjoy your bins!
Regards, John

Hi John,

Thank you once again, for taking the time to reply.

I will get a rainguard, and i will definitely enjoy my bins.

Regards, Deano

Last edited:
Questions ,questions and more silly questions.

Questions said:
I know that some of the questions that i, and others ask may seem boring,trivial or STUPID. They may well have been asked... and answered many times, by people with a vast amount of knowledge and experience of binoculars. BUT they will continue to be asked by others like myself, who find( by accident most of the time ) and use this FANTASTIC site, and then as a guest read and read, trying to find answers to their own personal questions. A lot of the times we will find answers to things we had not even thought of. Other times we will find the answers we were looking for...BUT...THERE WILL ALWAYS BE TIMES , when we cannot find the answers, so of course we will ask.If we get answers that we don't FULLY UNDERSTAND, then others like myself, will ask again and again until it's totally clear to us.

WE ALL have lacked knowledge on different things in life, and we have ALL gained more knowledge...by asking questions and finding answers.

John put it best with... "the only questions that are stupid are the ones that are not asked!"

I personally, would rather seem STUPID by asking questions, knowing that i will become more knowledgeable from someone wiser than myself,than pretend to be KNOWLEDGEABLE and not ask questions, for fear of looking stupid.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back