• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon has one of the best birds in the UK - and I came across it unexpectedly (1 Viewer)

trealawboy said:
I think we went up Deep Way Lane and pulled in by a gate on the right before this road reaches the M5. Near the gate is a little gap in the hedge and you enter a field with three poly-tunnels to the right and a bank of trees on the left running down a hill.

It is in this field that the woodlarks were found, by walking about and flussinh them. At the bottom of this field is a wooden fence with some new houses and some hosptial grounds with a clock tower. The saplings planted along the wooden fence by these houses were holding a large chaffinch flock along with brambling and cirl buntin. Plus a merlin flew across this filed too.

Apologies for not giving an accurate grid reference as I've no map to hand.

Many thanks for the tip-off, I think i'll peruse this spot tonight.
James

Alan Hobson said:
Andrew - where are the recreation grounds? I went by the Topsham Quay - are they near there?
Topsham Recreation ground is here MAP and is best visited away from high tide and during the day as high tide pushes a lot off here. The end of the day will mean a lot of gulls have gone to roost. Catch it on a falling tide and you will see Snipe come out of the reedbeds to feed.

Jayhunter,

It was lunchtime when I saw Izzy showing extremely well, so that's a good bet. I daresay there are other times just as good, though. It probably depends on where he starts the day!

Andrew,

Thanks for that - I'll try and get there when I'm down that way again.

Izzy sticks to the reserve all day long but somnetimes occassionaly goes missing for an afternoon, probably down a ditch but don't worry as he/she is very reliable.

Glad you found our friend Izzy, he/she has delighted many over the last 15 months or so, i had a very close encounter last Spring when he/she jumped out of the very same pool on to the path and walked right over my feet while looking up at me......quite a funny moment, i have followed Izzies movements very closely since its arrival, would be nice if it stayed as long as Sammy the Stilt has.

Thanks Alan and Andrew let us hope we will be lucky. No matter what, whether to drown our sorrows or celebrate seeing Izzy I shall get into the Bridge at Topsham, a brilliant watering hole. Discovered by my daughter and the troops from the NRA laborotory at Starcross on a pub crawl of Topsham.

Jayhunter (and anyone who is interested),

In the warmer months the Turf Inn will open up again as will the ferry across the Exe from Topsham. So you can combine the spots on the Topsham side with a hal time break at the turf after getting the ferry across. After that walk along the towpath to view Exminster Marshes and return to the other side on a small boat ferry (Higher Ferry).

Hi Alan

I am delighted that the Bowling Green Marsh Glossy Ibis gave you so much pleasure on your recent visit. I too have enthused about this bird on many an occasion. The reason that there has not been much fuss made about this bird in recent times is due to the fact that it has been present at the site for over 19 months. However when it first arrived as part of an influx in August 2002 at Budleigh Salterton much was made of its appearance. Within the first 30 days of its arrival, it had been enjoyed by upwards of 2,900 birders!!

All the very best

Lee G R Evans

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back