• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Work, work, work... (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dunstan

I managed an hour of seawatching today before going to the office. It was brilliant. The first porpoises of the year headed north close in. The birds were a bit quiet to start with, but soon livened up with 1300 scoter south and 3 Long-tailed Ducks north together.

That really set me up for the day, but one of my team wanted to see the Snow Buntings. So I forced myself out of the office in the glorious sunshine, and we both enjoyed great views of a dozen bunts despite the high number of half term holidaymakers on the beach.

I love my job.

Stephen.

Lol I wish I was in work (In a way anyway lol), how do u juggle work with bird-spotting, What if a rare bird was to pop up in your area, would you take the day off sick or risk missing it...
BTW what kinds of jobs are there in the bird field, I know theres ornithologists but im too dumb for that lol, anyone know what kinds of jobs there are orientated or related to birds....

Watcha Rob

I left Derbyshire for a couple of RSPB jobs but no future poor pay, and hopeless hols
u could get a job overseas teaching English - not as daunting as it sounds
dont need quals but it helps
I did two years in Indonesia - birding heaven and a year in northern Greece - wonderful too. It got me into oriental birding big time. Downside is I had to spend today looking at boring papers and editing them despite being on hols

in UK teaching is a good alternative.......long holidays and I don't complain about the money either. It's knackering but the holidays are worth it....off to Baikal this summer touch wood......

Rob,

Regarding the 'sickie' question I wouldn't (never have). If I received a call from someone about something at Starr Gate (200 yards from the office) I would negotiate with my boss to be able to clock out. Anything further afield I would be good (as I was with the Dusky Warbler last autumn).

Where do others stand on this. Would anyone admit to throwing a sickie though!

Stephen.

I was approaching Acle straight turn off last year when news of Pied Wheatear on my local patch came thru....go right to the bird or left to school for a half day training session. I had about one minute to decide...I went to school - an easy choice as we werre playing football after lunch andf I would never miss THAT!
Alls well that ends well....saw it fine next morning....was a bit nervous as it was a world tick and i don't get many of them in UK any more!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back