• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leaving binoculars in a hot car...can some take it? (1 Viewer)

Well all in all, from looking about the web and the expert feedback here, I get the feeling that it's not a good idea to be storing a decent Bino in extreme heat.

My concern is not regarding catastrophic failure of the bino in question, rather the dulling of its performance due to extreme heat. Who wants a good bino running at 60 or 70% optical capacity because of out-gassing, liquefying greases and glues etc etc.....all listed in the responses above.

Maybe the best option at this stage is for me to get some of those little 6x30 Kowa/Yosemite binos and enjoy them while they bake in the car.

I would say thats probably the safest bet, plus they are darn good binoculars.

My always in the car binos are the Swarovski Habicht Black 8x30s. Never in direct sun and we are in central Pennsylvania, which isn't near as hot as some of the other locals mentioned, but no issues after 3-4 years.

I have a Hensoldt 8 x 30 rubber armour military binocular that has had an extremely hard life and it survived well except that the hinge broke and it was professionally made into two monoculars. The right-hand side monocular I prefer even though it has the reticule in it marked in mils.
I don't know what temperature it was used in but it seems to be very tough. Both monoculars are very nice to use and have wide field eyepieces. Independent eyepiece focusing of course, which makes it work well as two monoculars.

Hello Brock,

The Zeiss FL 8x32 according to their web site is usable from -30ºC to +63ºC [+145ºF]. So if someone would leave a thermometer in a glove compartment or on a dash board, you could find out if such abuse is within tolerances. However I would not push it to the stated limit, but even 60ºC is respectable, and far more than I would like to experience.
I would think that both storage and service temperature would be the same at the high end, but that storage could be lower than -30ºC [about -22ºF]. At high temperatures, the problems might be outgassing of the lubricants, and liquification of the adhesives. My guess that at the lower temperatures, it would seize, as the lubricants hardened, but perhaps less likelihood of permanent damage.
In either case, do not ask me to experiment with my Zeiss.

Oh, is the Zeiss FL made of polycarbonate? I thought that it was a metal reinforced polymer.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

According to Optics4Birding, the FL's "high impact housing [is] made from high performance Polyamide, fibre glass reinforced (60 %) for robustness and low weight."

The 8x32 FL might be able to reach 145*F without melting or losing its shape, but for how long? Well, you'd have to have money to burn to use an FL as your car bin and find out. Excuse me, there are some coins I dropped between the cushions that I need to fish out to buy a hamburger. :eat:

<B>

What is your opinion of say a non rubber Habicht or fujinon vs the otherwise identical rubber armoured versions in extreme heat?

Fujinon used to warn against high temperatures causing the goo in the eyepiece focusing and sealing areas to flow into places where it shouldn't. (FMT-SX)

I know nothing of current production.

According to Optics4Birding, the FL's "high impact housing [is] made from high performance Polyamide, fibre glass reinforced (60 %) for robustness and low weight."

<B>

Wow....Polyamide with fiber. Nylon-6, most likely.
That is truly impressive. Way past polycarbonate.
Very hard, stable, and high temp. "high performance" is correct.
No trouble at all at their top temp rating.

So..that means they are worried about other parts...the grease,
knobs, adhesives, delrin precision bits, etc...

Last edited:
I've posted these in another post.

For a very fair price I picked up a fresh pair of military dual focus Habicht 8x30, with reticle which I'm getting used to just fine. Standard Habicht optics.

I've handled many binos over the years, and without any doubt, no doubt whatsoever, these are the most rugged useable bino, military or otherwise, I have ever encountered. They seem more robust than the mil spec fujinon fmtr-sx. The rubber is thicker and denser with far heavier ribbing. The hinges and eye pieces are very firm.

I am now considering keeping these in my van's centre console as my permanent car bino. I'm still concerned re the hottest months.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Perhaps the only way to handle your concern is to do what you just said, put them in your centre console of your car and leave them there during the hottest months. My prediction is that the optical quality will remain unimpaired. Of course you need to keep us informed, good or bad, what happens.

Just an observation. The way the eyepieces focus in your Habicht is simple yet effective. The threaded mechanism has a lubricant which fills the threads (male and female), and it may even have an O ring in addition. IF binoculars which I have had all operate this way. Hence, there is minimum surface for the lubricant to act on. CF binoculars by design must have the oculars sliding back and forth with much more surface area lubricated, hence more capillary action which can occur, which is the only issue, IMO, that is relevant besides the deterioration of the rubber covering. Your Habicht has a metal alloy housing, and it and the lens and prisms will take more heat than will ever be generated in your car. They may be hot to your touch and eyebrows and that is al, IMO.

I think our resident expert, Bill the Navy guy, can speak with more authority on this subject.

Car Temp

Well, the outside air temp a little earlier today was 112 F (44.4 C) so that was a good opportunity to check the inside temp of a car.

The car was parked in the sun with the windows up and contained a partially filled water bottle. A cooking probe thermometer stuck into the neck of the bottle showed a temp of 150 F (65.6). A second full bottle was pulled from the trunk and the temp for it was 128 F (53.3 C).

If you want you binoculars tested, send them my way. The forecast for tomorrow is a nice 115 F (46.1 C).

Well, the outside air temp a little earlier today was 112 F (44.4 C) so that was a good opportunity to check the inside temp of a car.

The car was parked in the sun with the windows up and contained a partially filled water bottle. A cooking probe thermometer stuck into the neck of the bottle showed a temp of 150 F (65.6). A second full bottle was pulled from the trunk and the temp for it was 128 F (53.3 C).

If you want you binoculars tested, send them my way. The forecast for tomorrow is a nice 115 F (46.1 C).

You must be down around Tucson, as both Phoenix and Yuma are "cooler" at a predicted 113 F.

Actually that is the Phoenix forecast for Thursday. The forecast varies depending on the source. The one quoted is from the National Weather Service. The NWS is only forecasting a comfortable 110 F for Tucson but a 114 F for Yuma tomorrow. Phoenix is generally hotter than Tucson but cooler than Yuma, the low point of the state. All great places to do some binocular heat testing in the summer!

Attachments

• Phoenix Temp.jpg
    Phoenix Temp.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 26
John ... I think the smart ones go to Montana where it is 65 F degrees! :t:

Actually I suspect that is true for some such as the Sand Hill Cranes that winter north of Yuma.

Most of the water fowl leave in March and April but some of the Mallards stay all year. One American Widgeon at a park pond near me stuck around all summer last year but he wised up this year and headed north with his friends. There is a small contingent of Canada Geese that show up at that park off and on during the summer. I guess they are to lazy to do the flight north.

Some of the usual cast of characters I see around the house all year are Mourning Doves, Gambel Quail, Mockingbirds, Cactus Wrens, Flickers, Gila Woodpeckers, Curve Billed Thrashers and the Abert's Towee.

Then there are some that come here for the heat. The White Winged Dove is the best example I can think of. They start arriving in March and are here in force before the end of April. They stay all summer and depart my area around the first part of September for Mexico when the night temps drop a little. What a mixed up bird! There are also the early migrators that show up around the end of August and September when it is still hot.

The summer residents appear to deal with the heat by being active in the early morning. You do not see much activity after mid morning because they are roosting inside the shady areas of the trees or the quail are under the shade of bushes. If at the parks, the ducks are usually out of the water and resting in shady areas along with the pigeons. Sometimes you will see them with their wings stretched out I assume to dissipate body heat.

I wonder how the birds out of the metro area in the deserts deal with the scarcity of water before the summer rains. This is especially true for the quail which have a small range. I read some birds get their liquid from their food sources. I guess the heat takes a toll on the weak but I do not see a mass die off after a summer heat wave.

It is a good thing some of the birds stick around because it gives me something to look at and allows me the opportunity to use my binoculars in the heat.

I have never had any binocular troubles due to the heat although it does make for some interesting ground heat waves to look through. If the binoculars are stored in my car parked in the sun, then I put them in the trunk. Per my test above, that cuts the temp about 20 degrees. There have been times when they were in the passenger compartment for shorter periods stopping for lunch, etc, and there has never been a problem. I have walked around with them on many occasions with the temp above 100 and they work just fine. I think Zeiss is showing an operating limit of 140 F, and at one time they listed storage limits that were higher than that. I think using some common sense, such as not leaving them on the dash behind the windshield, and a good brand will be ok.

. A long time ago I went to Hell and back. And I took photos of the place.
I see that the forecast for tomorrow for Hell (Norway) is 61°F (16°C).

In winter Hell freezes over.

I think that there are actually about six places called Hell in Scandinavia.

115°F is a bit much for me, the most I've experienced is 111°F and going out of the air-conditioned hotel it seemed like hitting a brick wall.

I suppose that one gets acclimatised to a place after being there for about three weeks.

Last edited:
. A long time ago I went to Hell and back. And I took photos of the place.
I see that the forecast for tomorrow for Hell (Norway) is 61°F (16°C).

In winter Hell freezes over.

I think that there are actually about six places called Hell in Scandinavia.

115°F is a bit much for me, the most I've experienced is 111°F and going out of the air-conditioned hotel it seemed like hitting a brick wall.

I suppose that one gets acclimatised to a place after being there for about three weeks.

Not bad in small doses. Extended periods get a little rough.

. Hi perterra,
. My strange comment about the temperature in Hell, was because I was thinking what would happen in England if we had daily temperatures of 115°F.
There would be tens of thousands of deaths, starting with the elderly and sick.
This actually happened in France a few years ago when there were daily temperatures slightly above 100°F.
I remember hitchhiking in France many years ago and it was so hot that I went into a nearby river fully clothed just to cool off.

I don't know how you cope with such temperatures as 115°F and maybe higher on a daily basis. We might manage to survive one such day, but any more would drastically reduce the population here. In a way I suppose that wouldn't be such a bad thing, but it is a rather unpleasant way of going about it.

I do hope that global warming doesn't get so bad, that the maximum temperature we have had of 101°F goes up to 115°F.

It was actually a fellow astronomer who discovered the ozone hole. I don't think he got the recognition he deserved.
There are still some who believe global warming is a myth.

You just have to look at the planet Venus, where the enormous heat and sulphuric acid rain, should make us think carefully about what we're doing to this planet. Venus really is hell, even though it looks beautiful.

Bruce - Enjoyed your post. We too have mourning doves and flickers in the summer, but not the other birds you mentioned. Evidently, the doves and flickers have a wide range in the US and tolerance for heat. I assumed you had the road runners in Arizona, but not in your area. The bird which seem to have real wide spread ability is the mallard. We have many who stay year around and even make it through - 20 F weather

What kind of humidity levels do you have? Ours tend to be almost like a high dessert.

JIohn

. Hi perterra,
. My strange comment about the temperature in Hell, was because I was thinking what would happen in England if we had daily temperatures of 115°F.
There would be tens of thousands of deaths, starting with the elderly and sick.
This actually happened in France a few years ago when there were daily temperatures slightly above 100°F.
I remember hitchhiking in France many years ago and it was so hot that I went into a nearby river fully clothed just to cool off.

I don't know how you cope with such temperatures as 115°F and maybe higher on a daily basis. We might manage to survive one such day, but any more would drastically reduce the population here. In a way I suppose that wouldn't be such a bad thing, but it is a rather unpleasant way of going about it.

I do hope that global warming doesn't get so bad, that the maximum temperature we have had of 101°F goes up to 115°F.

It was actually a fellow astronomer who discovered the ozone hole. I don't think he got the recognition he deserved.
There are still some who believe global warming is a myth.

You just have to look at the planet Venus, where the enormous heat and sulphuric acid rain, should make us think carefully about what we're doing to this planet. Venus really is hell, even though it looks beautiful.

I have seen the very high temps out in west Texas, here in north central 100+ is not out of the norm, we adapt. In one of my old jobs we had a sales manager show up from the northeast and lay down a new rule, jackets and ties would be required, that lasted until early August when he abandoned that foolishness and we reverted back to loose fitting shirts. Big hats and long lunch breaks are life savers while many businesses start work at 4 am and shut down at 1pm. You learn to stay in the shade, and hydrate constantly. It's when the temps never drop below mid 80's that it works me over. When it's upper 90's at 10 pm it's just miserable.

I agree with you about the climate, we screw this one up theres not much of an option on going someplace else. I think global warming is easier to take as a myth when you make a bunch of money off of the things that contribute to it. I had a customer a few years ago, was a horrible polluter according to the EPA. I cleared about $2,000 a month off of that one customer, at $500 a week clear it was a lot harder for me to grasp the concept of the damage to the environment. Ashamed to say it but greed colored my view of what was bad and what wasnt. Looking back, it's obvious, but at the time the dollar signs mitigated it. Hind sight is 20/20, I just wish foresight was.

John ..... We do have Road Runners here in the lower desert part of AZ. I had one in the back yard last week. They are not a daily show so that is why they were not on the list. They show up out back about four or so times a year.

Once I saw one drop out of a tree on a House Sparrow that was looking for seeds under the tree and there was no Beep Beep before the strike. That was new to me seeing a Road Runner dining on more than bugs and lizards. Actually, I think they will take on a rattle snake.

The White Winged Dove is considered a southwest desert bird, but I was surprised to read that they have been spotted on the east coast and Alaska. There must be a few that are not into the heat thing.

We have Mallards all over the state ranging from the low deserts to 9,000 plus feet swimming in mountain lakes. I wonder if there are any mainland states that does not have them.

According to the Windows 8.1 Bing Weather app, the humidity right now is 04%. The NWS at Sky Harbor Airport is showing a damp 05%. The humidity will start increasing in about two weeks as the moisture from Mexico starts to move north. Some of the first monsoon rains will hit the high country around the second week of July and will show up in the Phoenix valley a couple of weeks later. Then it will not only be hot, but hot and humid. The monsoon will end around the second week of September. The last storm tells the White Wings it is time to head back to Mexico.

August is a good test for binoculars. There is heat, humidity, sweat, and grime. August is when Tucson has a bird festival which gives the reps from the showing optical companies an oportunity to do some warm weather testing if desired. Last summer the Zeiss folks were doing demos out at the local riparian just north of downtown Tucson. That is dedication!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back