• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best readily available 6x30? (1 Viewer)

Hi I have a pair of the Kowa YF 6x30s I find them excellent with a nice smooth focus eye cups that lock firm with no play lovely crisp view nice and compact good rain guard and neck strap. I found them them so good I got another pair just in case I loose them. If you shop around you can get them for under £100. Regards Chris

Arthur (Pinewood), post 11,
Wetzlar was the home base of:
-1- Kelner (original founder of Leitz optics) and Leitz in 1849 and Leitz-Leica stayed in Wetzar up to now, allthough an important part of the company also moved to the closeby village of Solms.
-2- Hensoldt in 1865. Was the first producer of roof prism binoculars (of exceptional quality), the present Zeiss Dialyts are inspired by the Hensoldt design. Hensoldt became in 1928 part of the Zeiss company which had its facilities in Jena. It was after WW-2 that Zeiss moved its binocular production to the original Hensoldt factory in Wetzlar. The name Hensoldt was for years after WW-2 connected to Zeiss military optics.
Wetzlar home to some mediocre makers of optics? I do not know who told you that fairy tale, but top optics producers in Wetzlar were among others:
W&H Seibert since 1873
Georg Kremp since 1885
Karl Hartmann after WW-1 until about 1990
Docter optik, now in Jena
Julius Keiner since 1913
Oehler since 1919
Rudolf Leidolf since 1937
Hans Hensoldt with original beautiful binocular designs dfferent from the ones of the other Hensoldt family.

Gijs van Ginkel

Lee - Did I say a 6x30 Dialyt in any of my posts?
John

Hi John
No you never mentioned Dialyt but you did mention 8x30 B and I didn't know Zeiss had made porros with high eye relief and so jumped to the conclusion you meant a Dialyt.

Many thanks for the kind offer of a photo but it was the notion of a baby roof prism bin that got me going there :t:

Lee

High North, If you mean this to include 6x32 then I would have to suggest the Vortex Viper HD 6x32. Pretty Sweet little glass.

Hawken, have you compared them to the 8x32 model? If the Vortex site is correct, then both are built upon the same platform (and thus same physical dimensions.)

I'm just trying to think if the lack of an extra 2x is worth the (slighty) larger FOV..?

My point being that given the same size it would seem to make more sense to go with the 8x32. If they made the 6x32 a little more compact then that would change things...

cnick6, You are correct in that the dimensions are exactly the same. I own both and if I only had one, it would be the 8x32. However the 6x32 has a wider field of view that is crystal clear and is easy to hold rock steady. But if you want something smaller that I feel is even a step above these for the same money, Then I would go for the Maven B3 8x30. I bought my 1st pair at a bird outing earlier this year and they have pretty much replaced everything else that I own. My wife laid claim to those however so I had to buy another pair. Try these if you get a chance and I think you will you will love them.

cnick6, You are correct in that the dimensions are exactly the same. I own both and if I only had one, it would be the 8x32. However the 6x32 has a wider field of view that is crystal clear and is easy to hold rock steady. But if you want something smaller that I feel is even a step above these for the same money, Then I would go for the Maven B3 8x30. I bought my 1st pair at a bird outing earlier this year and they have pretty much replaced everything else that I own. My wife laid claim to those however so I had to buy another pair. Try these if you get a chance and I think you will you will love them.

hawken, at my next opportunity, I'm planning to try these in 8x30:

http://styrkastrong.com/products-S7binoculars

Check out the FOV on that!

I'm a little skeptical because it looks like a child of the Monarch 7 and Terra ED but we'll see.

I would go for the Maven B3 8x30. I bought my 1st pair at a bird outing earlier this year and they have pretty much replaced everything else that I own. Try these if you get a chance and I think you will you will love them.

Yeah I've read a little about them. Interesting that they have very similar specs to the Styrkas. There must be a factory in China that's pumping out these models by the thousands! ;)

cnick6, The Mavens are all Japanese built by Kamakura. Read the reviews by Frank D. or Steve C. I noticed that you also have the Razor HD and I do also. But I actually prefer these to my Razors and I would not have purchased my Razors if I had known how good these were. Don't take my word for it, but if have the chance try them and you will see what I mean.

cnick6, The Mavens are all Japanese built by Kamakura. Read the reviews by Frank D. or Steve C. I noticed that you also have the Razor HD and I do also. But I actually prefer these to my Razors and I would not have purchased my Razors if I had known how good these were. Don't take my word for it, but if have the chance try them and you will see what I mean.

Yeah that's good to know. Hmm, are you saying the Razor HD's are as good optically or just that you prefer the feel of the Maven? I'd be shocked if the optics were as good...

I thought in a previous Maven thread the optics were pretty well trashed but I'll need to go back and re-read it.

The optics are at least as good in my opinion and I will leave it at that. As far as that previous thread consider who did the thrashing.

The optics are at least as good in my opinion and I will leave it at that. As far as that previous thread consider who did the thrashing.

:-O

In all seriousness, The Maven B3 8x30s are the real deal. Optically they are excellent and ergonomically they are close to perfect for my personal preferences. They have become my default bin whenever I grab for one.

I re-read the Maven thread. I thought it was familiar as Frank and I were talking about the Terra ED 8x32. :)

Yeah, I remember what I saw. I went to that site with the 10x42 B1 review and found those pictures quite telling. I was disgusted by the CA in the one image. That's what turned me off of the Mavens. Also, the utility pole distortion was far from "minor" IMHO.

I like the Terra ED 8x32... and only notice that yellow-ish color that Frank mentions when looking near an intense light. A case in point: I went to look at the moon the other night with the Terra's and while the moon itself was fine, the intensity of the veiling glare made it uncomfortable to view. I had to move my eyes off-center just to reduce that glare.

If there's ever a sale on the Maven's then I might take a gamble on them...

Cnick,

A couple of comments.....

One the binocular being discussed with those pics was the B2 model, not the B3. Take a look at the sample pics I posted with the B3.

Second, if I am not mistaken, those B2 pics posted were not actually taken through the B2 but we're actually sample images posted to demonstrate what the author noticed in the bin.

I had both Vortex Viper 6x32 regular and HD. While they are great I was getting blackout with both. Next up was the Steiner 7x flavors and while they were great I did have a little blackout with it. I think the Steiner 7x are still a strong contender in the 6 and 7x category. For these out West 7x Steiner may be a good choice.
I also see the Opticron 6x32 the 2015 model. I wonder if anyone has it and can comment on it.
I also tried the Leupold 6x30 porro these are nice.
I feel that 6x and 7x are like the forgotten small diameter tires. I remember while in college most cars (at least what I could afford) were 155SR13 or 155 by 13 inch rim. These days it starts at 16 inch minimum so that manufactures can charge higher prices for their 16 and 17 and 18 inch tires.
I feel the same with 8x binos. If that is what manufacturers make then we have no choice.

Last edited:
One the binocular being discussed with those pics was the B2 model, not the B3. Take a look at the sample pics I posted with the B3.

Second, if I am not mistaken, those B2 pics posted were not actually taken through the B2 but we're actually sample images posted to demonstrate what the author noticed in the bin.

Nope it was the 10x42 B1 model. http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/optics/329-maven-b1-10x42-binoculars

Yes, I see what you mean. The utility pole shot was an "illustration" but the CA shot was real.

:-O

In all seriousness, The Maven B3 8x30s are the real deal. Optically they are excellent and ergonomically they are close to perfect for my personal preferences. They have become my default bin whenever I grab for one.

Your Sightron BS IIs must be feeling kind of lonely these days. :smoke:

Did you get your Maven customized? If so, what color scheme did you chose and can you post some pix? The program that Maven uses doesn't allow you to download a photo of your customized bin.

Brock

Brock,

The Sightrons probably are. I still use them on occasion and eye placement is slightly easier with the Sightrons but the excellent ergonomics (read as smaller size) makes me want to pick up the Mavens more often.

I didn't customize the armor. I kept the Halloween combo.
;)

On the other hand, I have also been using the 6x30 Opticron Savannas a lot lately. There is just something about that relaxed 6x Porto view. Even used them the other night while waiting to see the northern lights.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back