• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Simple question... (1 Viewer)

Brock - the Safari 8x30 Zeiss IF now is phase coated. But I agree with your choice, the Fuji FMTR-SX 6x30. They have been discontinued for many years now. And I haven't been able to find one, new or used. That is why I didn't list it.
John

Brock - the Safari 8x30 Zeiss IF now is phase coated. But I agree with your choice, the Fuji FMTR-SX 6x30. They have been discontinued for many years now. And I haven't been able to find one, new or used. That is why I didn't list it.
John

I too have bee on the hunt for the elusive fmtrsx 6x30, new or used. Super scarce. I do fear entering into an uncontrolled whisky fuelled eBay bidding war should one turn up.

It would be interesting to see some non Swarovski choices too :smoke:

Hello Rathaus,

I like carrying two binoculars but if I had only one, it would be the Zeiss 8x32 FL. I might need to put it on a monopod when I am older but I can live with that.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello Rathaus,

I like carrying two binoculars but if I had only one, it would be the Zeiss 8x32 FL. I might need to put it on a monopod when I am older but I can live with that.

Happy bird watching,

Arthur,
..a fine choice you've made there. Can I ask, what are the two binoculars you carry regularly, and how do you carry them?

Rathaus

Everywhere,everytime...

Almost ... Nikon 8x30Es. Yes,around home,but everywhere?

Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7 is the choice ... a
bit less bulky and has less exposed running gear.

Swaro 8x30 CLs? Sadly, too much additional mugging
and ransom risk in tough places.

Out of just what I currently own ...
Fujica Meibo / Featherweight / 7x35
Light weight is key for 'everywhere'.

Last edited:
Arthur,
..a fine choice you've made there. Can I ask, what are the two binoculars you carry regularly, and how do you carry them?

Rathaus

Hello Rathaus,

I generally carry a 10x32 Zeiss FL and a 6.5x32 Meopta Meopro. The Zeiss and the Meopta both fit in a mini haversack made by Duluth Pack. However, I bird with the Meopta unless I want more magnification. In a typical excursion I may never use the Zeiss but at times, it sometimes proves useful. Observing a nest high in a tree, observing a flycatcher, or getting a good look at the detail of a wood duck all may warrant the 10X.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

The issue with the 6.5x32 Meopta Meopro, for me,was the
"everywhere"requirement in the OP. They are pretty hefty.
Otherwise super.

I too have bee on the hunt for the elusive fmtrsx 6x30, new or used. Super scarce. I do fear entering into an uncontrolled whisky fuelled eBay bidding war should one turn up.
I had a pair of the Fujinon 6x30's. Don't bid too much for them. They are not all that. Sold them quick. Get ya an SV 8x32.

Last edited:
Hello Rathaus,

Happy bird watching,
Good glass. That would be one of my top picks. The SV has sharper edges and better ergo's though. If I remember right the FL is a little better at glare control though and excellent at CA control.

I had a pair of the Fujinon 6x30's. Don't bid too much for them. They are not all that. Get ya an SV 8x32.

I have them. An outstanding choice no doubt, but...the 8.5SV imo are a better glass (a bigger gob of that easy eye candy) ..they would be my roof choice. But,

My particular brain configuration definitely holds a slight preference for a Porro glass so I chose the little Habicht. Plus, they smell so good...and better with age. Why reward the visual cortex whilst punishing or ignoring the olfactory lobe? Let both have some joy I say! B :)

Last edited:
Zeiss SF 10X42

The "only one" binocular requirement means the choice has to be versatile. This is especially important for me since I view a variety of wildlife and scenery.

Step 1 - Power: My region has a lot of wide open spaces and sometimes wildlife will be several thousand or more yards away. An 8X would probably be fine 80% or more of the time but there are times that it is just not enough. That means the choice is a 10X. I have had multiple occasions when looking at something with an 8X and wishing I had a 10X so I could see more detail. I do not recall ever looking at something with a 10X and wishing to see less. A 10X can do basically what an 8X can do, but not always as well, but a 8X will never have the magnification of a 10X.

Step 2 - Binocular Size: The best time to view some wildlife is the early light of morning and the last light of the day. That means an exit pupil of 4 mm or more, so the minimum size for a 10X is a 42 mm class binocular. A 50 mm would be brighter but that is larger and heavier than I would want to deal with on a regular basis. That brings us to a 10X42.

Step 3 - Brand and Model: My top choices for a 10X42 are the Swaro 10X42 SV EL, a Nikon EDG-II 10X42 the new Zeiss SF 10X42 and maybe a SLC 10X42 HD or a Zeiss HT 10X42. My choice is the Zeiss SF 10X42. It has top tier optics as do the others but what sets it apart for me is the wider FOV, the great balance that makes it easier to control a 10X, and a very functional focus mechanism.

There it is, one versatile top tier binocular, the Zeiss SF 10X42.

Out of interest, off the top of their head, does anybody know what is the heaviest bino chosen so far...and the lightest?

Edit: Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 - 435grams? :eek!: astonishing little things

Last edited:
Playing the devils advocate, Anything I currently own would fill the bill just fine. I have said it before, the Yosemite 6X would do what I needed done just fine.

Something small and of decent quality and good eye relief is all I would ask.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back