• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

skylarks singing (1 Viewer)

I live in Canterbury and have easy walking access to the North Downs which I usually take advantage of most mornings. Throughout the spring and summer the air was fulll of the sounds of skylarks (among other things, obviously) but they fell silent over the past month or so. Yet when I was out at first light this morning i stood and watched a pair chase one another about and occasionly one would flutter his wings and burst into the most astonishing song, taking me right back to beautiful spring mornings. As anybody else ever heard skylarks singing this late in the year? I would be most interested to hear.
Thanks, Edward.

The last three weeks have heard them all over the place. In open country, and in windy places like the Headland, I rarely miss hearing them all winter if I'm in the right places, I believe they only go quiet when moulting, but I am in a more temperate zone than most others.

I haven't heard them singing at this time of year, but there's plenty of small flocks migrating over now calling.
They often start singing on sunny days in late February around here which is a lovely reminder of what's to come later.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back