• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2017 List Going? (3 Viewers)

Filling in some the gaps on a welcome day off today:
303. Bullock’s Oriole
304. Forster’s Tern
305. Western Kingbird
306. Lincoln's Sparrow
307. California Gnatcatcher

Last edited:
Today at NSG Sauertal just south of Kleinenburg, Germany

121 Common Redpoll

One I forgot from the Jadebusen in March

122 Common Redshank

Last edited:
A couple of quick stops on my way home from work this afternoon yielded two new birds for the year.

124. Bonaparte's Gull
125. Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Dave

A nice little April Fool's surprise

April 1

Chevy Chase, MD, USA
101. Hairy Woodpecker

Latest Lifer: 578 : Rusty Blackbird (Central Park, New York, NY, USA; March 2017)

I saw a female Hawfinch from my balcony in Elsen today. It was sitting on a fence and I live quite far from the nearest woods...

124 Hawfinch

138 hairy woodpecker
139 field sparrow
140 Eastern towhee
141 winter wren

The last is a state and county lifer. We are on the Western edge of its territory. it seems to be moving around in this part of April, whereas in winter, Omaha and South is where its found.

Attachments

• winter wren.jpg
    winter wren.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 40
138 hairy woodpecker
139 field sparrow
140 Eastern towhee
141 winter wren

The last is a state and county lifer. We are on the Western edge of its territory. it seems to be moving around in this part of April, whereas in winter, Omaha and South is where its found.

Such a great little bird! Nice find

A quick stop at a farm pond on my way home from work this afternoon got me a new bird for the year.

126. Lesser Yellowlegs

Dave

A little rarity chasing this afternoon - came up short targeting a Neotropic Cormorant but did land a continuing Least Flycatcher along with a couple other I was due:
312. Clark’s Grebe
313. Greater Roadrunner
314. Least Flycatcher (CA lifer)

I was just out in the yard when I was surprised to see a very early migrant soaring overhead.

127. Broad-winged Hawk

I usually don't start seeing this species until about mid-April.

Dave

Last edited:
I am spending a few days for work in Malta (the current rotating EU presidency holder, before moving to Estonia n July) and got some birding in on Tuesday.

I realize that Malta is very controversial for the awful fact that so many birds have been brutally killed here for sport. The good news is that BirdLife has been working very hard with the government over the last 10 years, trying to change the "culture" and taking important areas of the islands under control as bird sanctuaries.

In St. Paul's Bay, I had the opportunity to spend a few hours at BirdLife's Simar Nature Reserve, which was well maintained and I found the staff there very friendly, committed and well-informed. The Salina Saltpans were also well visited by birds and I was happy to add another two lifers to my list.

I made a point of mentioning to my hotel, taxi driver and at the local store that I was birdwatching, trying to get them to see the economic opportunity of having visitors come who want to enjoy nature and birding.

April 4

Is-Salina Nature Reserve, St. Paul's Bay, Malta
102. Ferruginous Duck
103. Black-winged Stilt
104. Ruff
105. Common Sandpiper
106. Mediterranean Gull
107. Sandwich Tern
108. Eurasian Blackcap

Simar Nature Reserve, St. Paul's Bay, Malta
109. Red-necked Grebe
110. Little Egret
111. Barn Swallow
112. Common House-Martin
113. Cetti's Warbler
114. Spanish Sparrow

Latest Lifer: 580 : Cetti's Warbler (Simar Nature Reserve, St. Paul's Bay, Malta; April 2017)

A few new species from the last couple of days, at both Dalkarlskärret and Hjälstaviken, near Uppsala:

129. Gadwall
130. Northern Goshawk
131. Green Sandpiper
132. Western Marsh Harrier
133. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
134. Western Osprey
135. Barnacle Goose
136. Greater White-fronted Goose
137. Taiga Bean Goose

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back