• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dog walking . (1 Viewer)

jada dulo

Mr.VP!!!
Living in a large village I love to take my dog for a walk down Pulley Lane , it leads across the whole rear end of Bayston Hill and takes you out into peace and quiet . The area is mainly fields with thick hedgerows and a few lightly wooded areas and one small brook . The whole lane is around a mile and a half long and surprisingly not used by many vehicles and is therefore very quiet .
It has only been recently that I have noticed the abundance of bird life around this lane . Kestrel's ( a pair now , nesting somewhere over near the garden center ) , Sparrowhawk and Buzzard are regular seen raptors but I have seen both Peregrine and once a Hobby too . My wife once saw a Red Kite whilst out walking down the lane ( typical !! ).
In the pine tree's by Pulley House I have seen Nuthatch , Treecreeper and Great Spotted Woodpecker but recently up to 20+ Goldcrest have been busy feeding in the lower branches along with good numbers of Long-tailed Tit . It has been really good to see a pair of nesting Song Thrush further down the lane , just two day's ago I was watching one breaking a snail shell on the road , something I used to see regulary as a child but hardly ever see now . Unfortunately Song Thrush is becoming a scarce bird in Shropshire .
Corn Bunting was regular on the hedgerows last year and I have been lucky enough to be able to see one already this year . Although it has been hiding from me the last couple of day's.
It is always great to see the Swallows return and this year on the 4th April ( exactly a year to the day when I saw my first in 2003 on Pulley ) there they were 3 of them flying low over the fields . Now , a good 6 pairs are nesting on the old barn and have been joined by 3 pairs of House Martin , which is great as there were none last year . Around 4 pairs of Goldfinch are also nesting somewhere near the old barns too .
Whitethroat , Yellowhammer , Wren , Dunnock , Blackbird , Blue & Great Tit , Robin and House Sparrow are abundant nesting in the vast length of hedgerow stretching from the farmhouses to the A49 .
In the surrounding field you can always hear and see Skylark rising up singing it's lovely song . My wife and I always see which one of us can spot it first as it gains height . Occaisonaly Raven pearch in one of the boundry tree's cawing to one another . Crow , Rook , Jackdaw , Magpie , Collard Dove , Starling , Greenfinch and Chaffinch are hugely abundant .
Slightly less common , seen over the last year are Lesser Redpoll feeding in the small birch plantation , joined occaisonaly by Bullfinch and once a Siskin !! Green Woodpecker , Curlew , Lapwing and Golden Plover are irregular visitors to the surrounding fields .
As I have already said , it is only recently that I have taken stock to what is about in what is such a small area and close to the busy M54/A49 junction just on the outskirts of Shrewsbury , I havn't counted up but I bet it's a decent list ! I certainly look forward more than ever before now to taking the dog for a walk ... plus Tess love's it and it help's the old waist-line too ! ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back