• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

zeiss 65mm (1 Viewer)

There has been plenty recently posted on this - do a search and you'll see plenty of comments. If the scope is with the zoom eyepiece, you have a good combination for sure. The Zeiss zoom gives a far wider view than any other competing scope. Basically, if you think that price is good, and the scope's optical quality is perfect, you'll not go wrong. The Zeiss is up there with the very best.

scampo said:
There has been plenty recently posted on this - do a search and you'll see plenty of comments. If the scope is with the zoom eyepiece, you have a good combination for sure. The Zeiss zoom gives a far wider view than any other competing scope. Basically, if you think that price is good, and the scope's optical quality is perfect, you'll not go wrong. The Zeiss is up there with the very best.

Just want to say that I have this scope and like already stated it gives a nice wide field of view, especially compared to the other top brands in its class. Something that is invaluable in my opinion.

Also people have been complaining about a slight yellow cast, unoticable in my humble opinion.

Only cons, is that I feel it is not quite razor sharp enough at the maximum extent of its zoom considering what one pays for this scope.

However it definitely compares nicely the the other bad boys in its league.
I.E. Leica 62mm, Nikon FSIIIED, Swaro 65mm.

HTH.

nightheron28 said:
Just want to say that I have this scope and like already stated it gives a nice wide field of view, especially compared to the other top brands in its class. Something that is invaluable in my opinion.

Also people have been complaining about a slight yellow cast, unoticable in my humble opinion.

Only cons, is that I feel it is not quite razor sharp enough at the maximum extent of its zoom considering what one pays for this scope.

However it definitely compares nicely the the other bad boys in its league.
I.E. Leica 62mm, Nikon FSIIIED, Swaro 65mm.

HTH.
That's interesting what you say about sharpness. I have my zoom with the 85mm scope and it is razor sharp at maximum magnification; that said, at that magnification, the amount of haze and pollution in the atmosphere can seem to make the view less contrasty or sharp than at lower magnifications. In a well-respected test on the scope, the zoom was considered the sharpest available at that magnification:

"...the Zeiss provided an image of such quality that we would gladly have tried it with greater magnifications than the presently available eyepieces allow."

http://www.alula.fi/GB/index.htm

Bill A said:
800 bucks seem good for a factory second with a warranty?

Bill
In the UK, the price with zoom is at best, US$1450 for a new scope. Sound as if you might have a bargain there. With a warranty from Zeiss, you're covered against optical and mechanical faults anyway.

scampo said:
In a well-respected test on the scope, the zoom was considered the sharpest available at that magnification:

"...the Zeiss provided an image of such quality that we would gladly have tried it with greater magnifications than the presently available eyepieces allow."

From the Alula website on the 65

"However, a relatively broad area of the field edge has rather poor image quality, especially at low magnifications, where the edges appear acceptably sharp only if you place your eye closer to the eyepiece than is optimal for easy viewing of the centre of the field. Starting with about 30x magnification, the edges begin to look quite good, although even with high magnifications the Zeiss’s edge quality is distinctly below that offered by the Swarovski zoom. In birding, however, a wide field of view, even if the image is soft at the edges, is much more useful than a narrow one which is sharp to the edge. "

Kimmo must be pleased to see how well we read his reviews!!

The quoted price is rather good though.

I just ordered the thing. I'll post a review after it arrives, although I am no expert, and my review will seem very amateurish compared to many I've seen here.

When I compared the little Zeiss to the other scopes I could get for the price, the decision was easy. I'd rather have bought the Swaro 65mm HD, but it would have cost me twice as much.

Thanks for the advice.

Bill

p.s. Opinions on a good tripod for it?

pduxon said:
Kimmo must be pleased to see how well we read his reviews!!

The quoted price is rather good though.
I quoted from the report on the Zeiss 85, Pete - I quite forgot there was one on the 65. I think the softer outer edge of the Zeiss zoom view is a feature of its extra wide field of view. It really is not an issue at all in practice in my experience.

scampo said:
I quoted from the report on the Zeiss 85, Pete - I quite forgot there was one on the 65. I think the softer outer edge of the Zeiss zoom view is a feature of its extra wide field of view. It really is not an issue at all in practice in my experience.

couldn't resist it Steve couldn't resist it.

To be fair at that price I'd have bought it!!

Bill A said:
p.s. Opinions on a good tripod for it?
You won't niss much... the Swaro zoom is about 50% narrower in field of view, Bill - but what view you get is a delight.

Tripod? Manfrotto 055 US Bogen equivalent if you're tall, 190 if you're not. Head 700RC2? Also, Velbon make somewhat less good, but perfectly fine tripods.

scampo said:
That's interesting what you say about sharpness. I have my zoom with the 85mm scope and it is razor sharp at maximum magnification; that said, at that magnification, the amount of haze and pollution in the atmosphere can seem to make the view less contrasty or sharp than at lower magnifications. In a well-respected test on the scope, the zoom was considered the sharpest available at that magnification:

Well I think it may have been the weather. Both times I have tested the scope it has been in overcast weather. Today was sunny and it proved very sharp at 45x. I think to that it might be my tripod, it is somewhat unsteady.

Anyway overall I love this scope, and today I especially loved looking at 2 new lifers for me. Buff-Breasted and Baird's Sandpiper! :)

Nightheron:

There's been a bit of commotion here in SE Michigan lately about a Buff-breasted Sandpiper seen locally. Hope the thing's still there when I get the Zeiss!

Bill

Sorry everyone not to get off topic too much but,

Bill that is where I saw it! The Gooding Sod Farm! Although I heard someone found 4 at the Waltz Sod Farm! Where do you live? If its taking too long, and your afraid your going to miss the birds I need to go back to the Waltz Sod farm to try and get the American Golden Plover. Anyway we could meet up and I would be more then happy to let you share my scope.

Hi Nightheron,

I might take you up on your very kind offer. If you want, email me and I'll email back my phone number.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back