• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (29 Viewers)

Hi - day off today so chance for a very cold (-8C late morning!) wander around Tadcaster, some notes from past week as well

at least a dozen redwings around farm near Lawton's garage on A64
nuthatch on edge of Catterton Rash near stream (these woods usually seem very sparse for birdlife)
2 * little grebe on Wharfe by Tadcaster bridge today about 1.30pm- not seen these in Tad before.
up to 12 goosander there on Sunday, might have been by weir today - I think they timeshare between here and Wetherby
Tawny owl somewhere in Catterton Rash the other evening, there's a pair live in the woods near Tad Grammar as well, one seen about a week ago
3 yellowhammers just off Coach Road in hedge.
2 Red Kites regular around A1/A64 junction, there's another one seems to frequent the area between the garden centre and ring road Seacroft on A64 (definitely all 3 seen one day)

regards
Michael

Was hoping to find waxwings, but could hardly complain with the flock of redwings I came across in the car park at Asda in Shipley today! Has anyone seen waxwings here before? They're proving to be a real bogey bird for me at the moment - I've never even seen one before, let alone photograph one! Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Tom

Keep your eyes peeled! There are plenty about but many are on the move. Was popping into Leeds to finish the Christmas shop, got up to Gildersome roundabout and 40 dived into a tree. Fortunately there was a little road alongside. None there two hours later on my return.

Attachments

• IMG_8190_filtered.jpg
    IMG_8190_filtered.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8231_filtered.jpg
    IMG_8231_filtered.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 62
Keep your eyes peeled! There are plenty about but many are on the move. Was popping into Leeds to finish the Christmas shop, got up to Gildersome roundabout and 40 dived into a tree. Fortunately there was a little road alongside. None there two hours later on my return.

I also dropped onto another small group of Waxwings yesterday afternoon in Bramley, Leeds (on the slip road off Stanningley Road to Bramley town end). As usual they were in the ornamental berry trees with the pink berries as in the above shots. I think the Waxwings are seeking these trees out so anyone chasing waxwings could do worse than look for these trees in your area and cross your fingers!

Dave

Great morning over at Primrose Hill Close with the Waxwings. Superb light and good fortune with some stunning views in brilliant light. Nice to meet you Clare...great photos! A couple of mine on my Blog...:t:

Nice to meet you too Alan. Going to check out your pics too.. they looked fantastic on your camera, so I`m sure they`ll be brill.

Tawny owl this morning about 7.30(ish). Perched for half a minute on a road sign beside Harrogate/Wetherby road, Halfway up Plompton Hill just Plompton side of the Kestrel roundabout.

Thanks all for the nice comments and Marcus for the cheerleading.

There's some gorgeous lighting out at the moment, so make the most of it. Went out at -10° o'clock to get some really early light. Been thinking of this shot since the really cold snap last winter, really wanted a smew but there you go. Ice and mist.

Attachments

• IMG_8322_filtered.jpg
    IMG_8322_filtered.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 130
waxwings in wakefield

12 Waxwing seen briefly in trees at yard at work near centre of town before flying off in direction of Pugneys CP cheered me up on a frezzing day at work

Thanks all for the nice comments and Marcus for the cheerleading.

There's some gorgeous lighting out at the moment, so make the most of it. Went out at -10° o'clock to get some really early light. Been thinking of this shot since the really cold snap last winter, really wanted a smew but there you go. Ice and mist.

Jim

You are on fire! Some brilliant images:t:

c20 waxwings near Fairburn Ings, at the top of Gauk Street, opposite Waggon & Horses Pub. They fly between tall Poplars and the bushes near the skate park. If you need any more info just let me know.

Have you all seen Jim's amazing fighting nuthatches on birdguides - worth a comment and thumbs up :t:

http://www.birdguides.com/picture?f=280922

Just seen this, wonderful photo. We often see nuthatches at Bolton Abbey, a favourite spot is by the shelter on the east side of the riverside path. People leave food there resulting in a whole flock of coal tits flitting about last week, there must have been ay least a dozen.

Graeme

Users who are viewing this thread

Back