• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moving on through May (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
Not a great night!
I put my actinic trap on because it was forecast to rain--which it certainly did.
I was a bit surprised to only catch three moths, as it seemed pretty mild. So I had...
1 pale tussock (of a form I've not had previously)
1 flame carpet
1 broken-barred carpet (new for year).
Ken

PS Found a white-spotted pug on the ceiling so the total was 4!

Attachments

• broken_barred_carpet1a.jpg
    broken_barred_carpet1a.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 147
  • flame_carpet1a.jpg
    flame_carpet1a.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 123
  • pale_tussock1b.jpg
    pale_tussock1b.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
A new one for me last night that seems to catch many people out.
Rustic Shoulder-knot Apamea sordens

Never seems to be very distinctly marked, bur the dark area in discal spot seems a consistant feature. The basal streak (shoulder-knot) was not well marked in this specimen and can't be seen in my photo.

With wind and rain, just had one trap on last night and got about 10 moths.

Attachments

• DSCN3115#001.jpg
    DSCN3115#001.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 154
I agree with Angus on the Rustic Sk. Had one come to a session last week and it had me scratching my head for ages before light finally dawned.

I did the same as Ken last night and had Ruby Tiger (Phragmatobia fuliginosa) and Heart & Dart (Agrotis exclamationis) new for the year among 7 moths of 6 species - and it was very mild here too.

Attachments

• rustic_sk_13may05_420.jpg
    rustic_sk_13may05_420.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 124
Hi,

it was also very mild on Teesside last night so we did a session in a semi ancient woodland where we expected loads of moths despite low numbers in the garden. In the 1.5 hours before we gave up 13 moths came near the light (Scalloped Hazel 3, Common Lutestring 2, Small Phoenix 3, Clouded Silver 1, Rivulet 2 and a couple of pugs). Things can only get better...

Jamie

J Duffie said:
Hi,

it was also very mild on Teesside last night so we did a session in a semi ancient woodland where we expected loads of moths despite low numbers in the garden. In the 1.5 hours before we gave up 13 moths came near the light (Scalloped Hazel 3, Common Lutestring 2, Small Phoenix 3, Clouded Silver 1, Rivulet 2 and a couple of pugs). Things can only get better...

Jamie

You did a lot better than me then Jamie, 3 hours of trapping in my garden brought me just two specimens, a Purple Thorn and a Lesser Swallow Prominent.

Harry

The sun actually shone for a while today ;)
I walked through our nearby meadow and saw what I presume were the Cock's foot moths mentioned by Angus a while back. They seemed to be quite common, and were 'breathing' in and out as described!
My camera isn't great for these mini-micros but this was what I got.
Ken

Attachments

• Glyphipterix simpliciella.jpg
    Glyphipterix simpliciella.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 144
Angus T said:
You lucky sod!! ;), no reliable records of Purple Thorn in Ireland, and I've yet to see the latter this year.

Hello Angus,

Now you know how I feel about all the Moth and Shieldbug species you seem to find with ease, but which I never get myself. ;)

Harry

Last two nights

Wednesday night was mild, min 9.6 deg C and cloudy with light showers from midnight as forecast, and it turned out to be a really good night. Decent numbers but lots of new species, most of which were picked up outside the trap during the evening up to just after 12.30. 65 moths of 36 species as follows :

Peach Blossom (1) - new to me |:d|
Flame Carpet (1)
Water Carpet (1)
Small Pheonix (1)
Grey Pine Carpet (3)
Green Carpet (1) - new for year |:d|
White-spotted Pug (1) - new to me |:d|
Brindled pug (1)
Common Pug (1)
Oak-tree Pug (1) - new to me |:d|
Small White Wave (1) - new to me - poor photo inside glass jar. Id? |:d|
Clouded Border (1)
Brown Silver-line (2)
Brimstone Moth (4)
Scalloped Hazel (4)
Brindled Beauty (1)
Waved Umber (2)
Square Spot (1) - new to me |:d|
Poplar Hawkmoth (1)
Iron Prominent (3)
Pebble Prominent (1)
Great Prominent (2)
Lesser Swallow Prominent (6)
Coxcomb Prominent (3)
Pale Tussock (1)
Orange Footman (1) - new to me |:d|
White Ermine (4)
Flame Shoulder (2)
Light Brocade (1)
Clouded Drab (3)
Hebrew Character (3)
Angle Shades (1)
Treble Lines (2)
Oak Nycteoline (1) - yes, I recognised it even thought it was a new type!
N. swammerdamella (1)
Ancylis badiana (1) - new to me - photo for check Id please |:d|

Last night was warmer, min 11.4 deg C, but there was almost continuous rain, some light some heavy, for most of the night plus a breeze sprung up later in the night! No new species and few moths, 16 moths of 11 species :

Brown Silver-line (1)
Scalloped Hazel (3)
Lesser Swallow Prominent (4)
Coxcomb Prominent (1)
Pale Tussock (1)
Orange Footman (1)
Least Black Arches (1)
Light Brocade (1)
Angle Shades (1)
Treble Lines (1)
Nut Tree Tussock (1)

Some rain before midnight with a min of 9 deg C tonight. Worth a try!

All the best for tonight

Pete H

Attachments

• Ancylis badiana 6870t.jpg
    Ancylis badiana 6870t.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Oak Nycteoline 6862t.jpg
    Oak Nycteoline 6862t.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Small White Wave 6843t.jpg
    Small White Wave 6843t.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Orange Footman 6880t.jpg
    Orange Footman 6880t.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Clouded Border 6849t.jpg
    Clouded Border 6849t.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 132
Hi Pete,
I assume its Badiana. I think there is a similarish species, so you may have to check it's not it. No literature at hand. Other one must be Small White Wave.

Last night was a bit better though for some reason only one of my moths was in the trap! (Just one cockchafer and the dart inside.)
Broken-barred carpet 1
White spotted pug 1
flame shoulder 2
brimstone moth 2
shuttle-shaped dart 1
poplar hawkmoth 1 (new for year)
May highflyer 1 (nfy)
poss. grey pine carpet 1 (nfy whatever it is)
unknown moth 1 (closest I can find is scarce brindle but that hardly seems likely... mine has a forewing of 20mm)

Ken

Attachments

• moth 022.jpg
    moth 022.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 142
  • p-grey pine carpet1a.jpg
    p-grey pine carpet1a.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 133
  • poplar_hawk1b.jpg
    poplar_hawk1b.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 153
  • May highflyer1a.jpg
    May highflyer1a.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Surreybirder said:
Last night was a bit better though for some reason only one of my moths was in the trap! (Just one cockchafer and the dart inside.)
Broken-barred carpet 1
White spotted pug 1
flame shoulder 2
brimstone moth 2
shuttle-shaped dart 1
poplar hawkmoth 1 (new for year)
May highflyer 1 (nfy)
poss. grey pine carpet 1 (nfy whatever it is)
unknown moth 1 (closest I can find is scarce brindle but that hardly seems likely... mine has a forewing of 20mm)

Ken
I'd say dark form of Clouded-bordered Brindled. Never seen one myself, but looks about right. And I'd say yes for the Grey pine.

Angus T said:
I'd say dark form of Clouded-bordered Brindled. Never seen one myself, but looks about right. And I'd say yes for the Grey pine.
thanks, Angus
It's rather different from my only previous one:

Attachments

• clouded-bordered_brindle.jpg
    clouded-bordered_brindle.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 114
I found a tiny micro (forewing length about 6mm) in daylight today. I think it must be Pseudargyrotoza conwagana. Any views?
Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

• Pseudargyrotoza conwagana.jpg
    Pseudargyrotoza conwagana.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 123
Light Emerald

Friends
After a couple of rainy nights, then one dry and cold one, yesterday (Saturday 21st) was quite mild (16C) after a warm sunny day...despite a 2/3rds moon.
Anyway, tearing myself away from the excitement of the Eurovision Song Contest finals (LOL!!!) I headed for the balcony and pulled in this lovely fresh Light Emereald (Campaea margaritata), which I thought you might enjoy seeing. That was all - though I did see 2 other species in the distance. Hoping another warm day might mean more goodies tonight. It was, by the way, a new species for the flat and for me.

Best

David

Attachments

• 2005_0522_125329AA.JPG
    2005_0522_125329AA.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 142
black52bird said:
Friends
After a couple of rainy nights, then one dry and cold one, yesterday (Saturday 21st) was quite mild (16C) after a warm sunny day...despite a 2/3rds moon.
Anyway, tearing myself away from the excitement of the Eurovision Song Contest finals (LOL!!!) I headed for the balcony and pulled in this lovely fresh Light Emereald (Campaea margaritata), which I thought you might enjoy seeing. That was all - though I did see 2 other species in the distance. Hoping another warm day might mean more goodies tonight. It was, by the way, a new species for the flat and for me.

Best

David
Nice one, David!
The only thing I like about the ESC is Terry Wogan's commentary.
Today I found at least three more small yellow underwings locally. There were some smallish orangy yellow moths flying in the nearby wood which I think must have been speckled yellows though I never managed to get a proper view of one. But chasing the yellows through the undergrowth I did disturb a wave, which was more obliging. Is it a common wave ? (Waring talks about wing shape but I find it hard to tell it from the common white wave from Lewington's pictures.)
Ken

Attachments

• common_wave.jpg
    common_wave.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 107
Last two nights plus tonight so far

Friday night, min 9.5 deg C, mainly cloudy, big moon when visible, still. 61 moths of 35 species as follows :

Barred Hook-tip (1)
Pebble Hook-tip (1)
Cream Wave (1) - new for year |:d|
Grey Pine Carpet (5)
Spruce Carpet (3)
Brindled Pug (1)
Oak-tree Pug (1)
Small White Wave (1)
Little Thorn (1) - new for me |:d| Nationally scarce 'B'
Brown Silver-line (2)
Barred Umber (1) - new for me |:d|
Brimstone Moth (1)
Scalloped Hazel (4)
Pale Oak Beauty (4) - new for me |:d|
Iron Prominent (1)
Great Prominent (1)
Lesser Swallow Prominent (6)
Swallow Prominent (2)
Coxcomb Prominent (1)
Pale Tussock (3) - including dark version
Orange Footman (3)
White Ermine (2)
Shuttle-shaped Dart (1)
Flame Shoulder (1)
Shears (1)
Pine Beauty (1)
Hebrew Character (2)
Knot Grass (1) - new for me |:d|
Treble Lines (2)
Nut-tree Tussock (1)
Syndemis musculana (1)
Epinotia immundana (1)
Micro (1) - unid'd - I should know this one but today has been hectic!
Micro (1) - unid'd - this one too!
Pug (1) - unid'd - shows a very greenish cast even though it's worn

Last night very windy, min 9.3 deg C, mainly cloudy, a few showers - not good!. Only 17 moths of 14 species. Another Pale Oak Beauty and a Least Black Arches were the highlights.

Tonight looks very promising with the temp in double figures, the wind dropped to very light and the full moon disappeared behind cloud. Already had 10 species including my first ever Buff Ermine. Can't wait till tomorrow! Just going to have another quick look before retiring to bed.

Allo the best

Pete H

Attachments

• Micro 6955t.jpg
    Micro 6955t.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Micro 7010t.jpg
    Micro 7010t.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Little Thorn 6893t.jpg
    Little Thorn 6893t.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Pug 7007t.jpg
    Pug 7007t.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Common Wave, surely?

Surreybirder said:
Nice one, David!
The only thing I like about the ESC is Terry Wogan's commentary.
Today I found at least three more small yellow underwings locally. There were some smallish orangy yellow moths flying in the nearby wood which I think must have been speckled yellows though I never managed to get a proper view of one. But chasing the yellows through the undergrowth I did disturb a wave, which was more obliging. Is it a common wave ? (Waring talks about wing shape but I find it hard to tell it from the common white wave from Lewington's pictures.)
Ken

Dear Ken

We, of course, don't have the delights of his Terryship. We could choose between German or Hungarian commentary depending on which channel we put on. Or rather, put off!!

I'd say that was Common Wave, from the pale brown colour and curvature of the lines.

Best
David

Pete Haynes said:
Tonight looks very promising with the temp in double figures, the wind dropped to very light and the full moon disappeared behind cloud. Already had 10 species including my first ever Buff Ermine. Can't wait till tomorrow! Just going to have another quick look before retiring to bed.

Allo the best

Pete H
Impressive! There are about 7 there I've never seen. The little thorn seems to be outside the range shown in Collins (if my geography is correct, which it probably isn't!). You seem to have a different climate to me. Last night at dusk we had clear skies, a full moon and a stiff breeze. I didn't bother with the trap.
Cheers,
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back