• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Deformity or injury? (1 Viewer)

helenol

Yesterday I noticed a pigeon flying overhead with it's right leg sticking out. Today he was feeding in the garden.

Is he deformed, or is it likely to be an injury? He does have a problem when trying to hop along on the ground, but he can take off with apparent ease and fairly quickly.

Attached are 3 photos. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• PC210739pigeon.jpg
    PC210739pigeon.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 157
  • PC210740pigeon.jpg
    PC210740pigeon.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 171
  • PC210741pigeon.jpg
    PC210741pigeon.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 177
Wow, that is a bit awkward looking. It's hard to say but my best guess would be a birth deformity or broken in the nest.

I'm seeing a lot of injured Rock Pigeons lately. One I can definitely attribute to fishing line. It's foot has slowly rotted away over the last couple of months. That winged rat can fly though. Never, ever let me get close to him to try and capture.

I'd suspect a shooting injury - a gunshot pellet broken and twisted the leg. Birds can survive with surprising injuries to a leg, as they only really need one leg most of the time. Its problems will be (1) if being unable to draw the leg up into the feathering for warmth it gets frostbite in the leg in very cold weather, that could lead to gangrene, and (2) its awkward movement on the ground will make it more conspicuous to predators.

Michael

Helen, thats a good question. my own view is a
defomity, he looks in good condition other wise.
nice clear eyes, and good plumage.

Other than the broken leg. It's a fine looking Dove....What kind is it? Looks gunshot related to me. We have a Mouning Dove that shows up on occasion that has a band of deformed plumage across it's back. My best guess is that the bird encountered a near miss with a Raptor.

Michael and Dovekeeper
What makes you think it is a gunshot wound?

(This is quite possible as a nearby neighbour has an airgun) How about Mrs sparrowhawk?

DoveKeeper said:
What kind is it?

It's a Wood Pigeon.

It does look rather weird. Never seen anything like it before, although some of the Feral Pigeons in town have deformed feet and manage to get about.

Only a guess about the bird being mechanicly wounded. If you could rule out deformity. I cant think of a lot of things that would create such a radicle break.

Thanks DK. At the moment there are 5 of these wood pigeons feeding from the garden. It will be interesting to see whether this one survives, especially with the sparrowhawk around. Shame though, as I quite like them.

Wood Pigeons are migratory - it could easily have been shot at on a farm a hundred miles away or more. Lots of farmers shoot Wood Pigeons (it is legally a gamebird which can be shot) because of the damage they do to crops. It doesn't have to be a local assassin

Michael

BTW, what is the law regarding shooting birds with airguns in a residential area?
Very illegal. Discharging any weapon close to (I think within 50m?) of a public highway is a criminal offence. Call the police immediately.

I know someone who saw a couple of kids out popping at birds with an air gun near here; he called the police, expecting a car to turn up in about ¾ of an hour . . . the Armed Response Unit was there inside 7 minutes (and caught them - must've been a VERY frightening experience for those kids, but they deserve it!).

Michael

tape up your eye real good....maybe stain the gauze with a little mustard and go knock on the door and inquire if anybody in the neighborhood has an airgun...try a few doors around his area. the gun will get lost fast!

Dovekeeper..Very Good!!

It is quite illegal to shoot that weapon in your neighbourhood, report him to your local Police, he will loose the gun.

How do you know he/she has such a weapon?? sounds like the Bronx??

Michael Frankis said:
Very illegal. Discharging any weapon close to (I think within 50m?) of a public highway is a criminal offence. Call the police immediately.

I know someone who saw a couple of kids out popping at birds with an air gun near here; he called the police, expecting a car to turn up in about ¾ of an hour . . . the Armed Response Unit was there inside 7 minutes (and caught them - must've been a VERY frightening experience for those kids, but they deserve it!).

Michael

There were two very guilty looking young boys (about 13-14 year olds) trying to conceal an air rifle a few weeks back when I came across them whilst out with my dog. They were on the edge of a wood and I had heard shots before I got close to them. Is this now an illegal activity then? If so, good job too, but how could one prove they had been shooting at birds and not tin cans unless you can find any dead ones. Also it is more than 50m from a highway, probably as the crow flies (haha) about 200m, but it is very near to a council estate with lots of young kids who play in these woods. :C

Michael Frankis said:
Wood Pigeons are migratory - it could easily have been shot at on a farm a hundred miles away or more. Lots of farmers shoot Wood Pigeons (it is legally a gamebird which can be shot) because of the damage they do to crops. It doesn't have to be a local assassin

Michael

I think it is classified as a 'pest' species, ie destructive to agriculture...

Andy.

songbird said:
There were two very guilty looking young boys (about 13-14 year olds) trying to conceal an air rifle a few weeks back when I came across them whilst out with my dog.

Carrying a concealed weapon is another offence....

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back