Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.93 average.
Old Friday 25th February 2005, 12:26   #1
breffni

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch.

By popular demand the thread title is changed to County Louth Local Patch encompassing all of County Louth from the Boyne Valley to Carlingford Lough.

Breffni

Last edited by breffni : Tuesday 21st February 2006 at 12:45.
Old Monday 20th June 2005, 23:28   #2
gareth2005

Just noticed this thread.

I decided to take my new scope out to see how it performs, I went down to Annagassan along the coast at about 6 PM.

Nothing unusual about there were some Common Terns on the beach just outside the village along with groups of Oystercatchers and a few Redshank and Curlew.
There are large groups of Mallard that use the salt marshes just north of Castlebellingham to roost and I counted 2 pairs of Shellduck here also.

Hopefully I might get a chance at the weekend to get a better look about
Old Thursday 7th July 2005, 13:09   #3
gareth2005

Some Ringed Plover and Turnstones showing now in Salterstown, Annagassan
Old Saturday 9th July 2005, 10:22   #4
breffni

YLG Lurgangreen

There was a yellow leg gull hanging around lurgangreen last week - i missed it because by the time i got to it the tide was wrong - worth keeping an eye out though...
Old Wednesday 13th July 2005, 18:35   #5
breffni

Cooley mountains, North Bundalk Bay

Carlingford Bay - 18 black tail godwits, 16 lapwing, a few redshank, curlew and many gulls and terns...
Clermont - family of ravens, jay (nice, just by turnoff up to mast), kestrel, buzzard, meadow pipits...
Bellurgan - 200 or so oystercatcher, 20 godwit, 12 curlew, heron, many gulls...
Giles quay - 6 black guillemot (somewhat disturbed by holiday activities on the quay) and hundreds of gulls/terns around castletown cooley river inlet (too distant to make out details but many juv herring, black back also common and black head)...
Cooley point - 50 sandwich, 20 common terns, 14 gannet, gulls, a few cormorant, a common sandpiper on the beach...

Generally quiet, nice weather...
Old Sunday 17th July 2005, 21:51   #6
breffni

Today around dundalk bay...

Bellurgan - whimbril
Ballymascanlon bay - at least one green sandpiper reported
Dundalk harbour - 4 common sandpipper + 1 whooper swan
Lugangreen - pectoral sandpiper reported (i managed to miss by 10 minutes twice) + a pale bellied brent goose...

Last edited by breffni : Monday 18th July 2005 at 00:18.
Old Tuesday 19th July 2005, 09:01   #7
gareth2005

Went down to the shore road in before Castlebellingham yesterday evening at high tide. Plenty of Mallard and Oystercatchers roosting up.
15 + Black tailed Godwits plenty of Dunlin and Redshanks
2 Shellducks

I heard about a Whooper swan being reported in the quay but thought it was a mistake, Is this normal for a Whooper Swan to summer in Ireland ?
How do you get to Cooley Point ?
Thanks

Gareth

Last edited by gareth2005 : Tuesday 19th July 2005 at 09:07.
Old Tuesday 19th July 2005, 09:03   #8
gareth2005

I went down to Lurgangreen yesterday evening to see if i could spot the Sandpiper but there were a few cars there and wasnt sure if they were birdwatching or up to no good so I just left to avoid the hassle. There can be some fairly dodgy people hanging around there sometimes
Old Tuesday 19th July 2005, 10:09   #9
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth2005
I went down to Lurgangreen yesterday evening to see if i could spot the Sandpiper but there were a few cars there and wasnt sure if they were birdwatching or up to no good so I just left to avoid the hassle. There can be some fairly dodgy people hanging around there sometimes
They were birders - if you park where the cars were and walk about 300 yards down to the right (south) you will come to a fence, cross the fence and observe from the sea bank a bit further on - the bird was lurking in the vegetation across the channel opposite...might just still be there despite the high tide last night.

The whooper is a long term hanger-on that missed the migration, as is the brent (presumably) - whooper is with the flock of mute hanging around the harbour...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whooper dundalk harbour july 05.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	25997  
Old Tuesday 19th July 2005, 10:16   #10
gareth2005

Very good I'll head down there tonight for a look. I wasn't sure who the people were I had a run in with some scum bags when down there before while birding.
Old Tuesday 19th July 2005, 10:17   #11
gareth2005

How do you get to Cooley Point ?
Old Tuesday 19th July 2005, 10:30   #12
breffni

cooley point = go to templetown beach, park, walk left (east) along shore, ots the rocky point - common, sambo, occasional arctic, even rosate terns, manx shearwater, gannet, cormorant, maybe some small waders...
Old Tuesday 19th July 2005, 10:34   #13
gareth2005

Great thanks for that I was out at Templetown the other day its looking well with the new car park and toilets etc. It was years since I was there last.
Old Tuesday 19th July 2005, 11:02   #14
gareth2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by breffni
Dundalk Quay is a great spot to watch from - yesterday a ruff with white on collar...see http://www.spiritstore.ie/birds/spir...ecosystem.html

Breffni
Just saw your article on the Spirit Store website. It very good and well put together. Well done
Old Wednesday 27th July 2005, 15:51   #15
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth2005
Just saw your article on the Spirit Store website. It very good and well put together. Well done
Why thank you!

Very quiet out there at the minute... though lots of small waders arriving wt juvenile birds (turnstone, dunlin and ringed plover around Giles, Balaggan, Carlingford...also 20 or more greenshank last week. Arctic, sandwich and common terns in evidence also, many ferrying food between cooley point and (presumably) green island - haven't seen a roseate (much less sooty or elegant despite prolonged searching)...saw a few roseate around cooley point last year. At sea, manx shearwaters to beat the band but little else. Finally many reports of crossbill (ravensdale, carndale etc), all missed by myself...now off on another probably fruitless search for a gull-billed tern down clogher direction...

Last edited by breffni : Wednesday 27th July 2005 at 15:58.
Old Saturday 30th July 2005, 10:47   #16
breffni

28 - 29 july

giles quay - family of rock pipit, razorbills, GCGs, red throat diver
templetown - arctic skuas, med gull
riverstown (opp fitzpats) - arctic skuas, 100s of gulls, terns
Old Sunday 31st July 2005, 23:30   #17
Gerry o Neill

dundalk bay

Today sunday we had 11 artic skua and 2 little stint at Seabank,Lurgangreen south that is.Also 1 little tern and 3 med gull on Cruiestown beach Clogher head today.
Old Monday 15th August 2005, 12:06   #18
breffni

I-WeBS

did an early count yesterday - big wader arrivals - 1000s of knot (many in full summer plum), dunlin, redshank, oystercatcher, ringed plover, hundreds of black and bar tail godwits, curlew (over 200 at bellurgan), lapwing, scoter (230 at salterstown), rb mergansers (dozens of moulting birds off annagassan and coast), at least 8 little egret over whole bay, and over 1000 mallard (many of which gun club birds - they had a bad season last year), a scattering of other duck but neither teal nor wigeon), dozens of greenshank. Many 1000s of terns, mostly sambo and common (the latter in preponderance) and a scattering of arctic and a few roseate calling. No GPs as yet.
Old Monday 15th August 2005, 20:10   #19
breffni

today

over 50 roseate terns (among at least a 500 common/sandwich), 3 eclipse shoveler, 3 razorbill, a few moulting merganser between shelling hill and balaggan point...

Last edited by breffni : Tuesday 16th August 2005 at 00:47.
Old Tuesday 16th August 2005, 09:51   #20
gareth2005

Great stuff I really must make an effort to get out some evening to have a look.
Old Tuesday 16th August 2005, 10:05   #21
breffni

Yep - there's also a bunch of kittiwakes (adults and juvs) hanging around, and crossbills have been seen in mulahattan and the forest on north sleive foyle between omeath and carlingford (top carpark)...

(does anybody know anything about the reported dartford warbler seen in april at cooley point?)
Old Sunday 28th August 2005, 10:22   #22
breffni

In the latest addition to this dizzying parade of spectacular vagrants through dundalk bay, a white-rumped sandpiper was seen at seabank and near annagassen 21/22 august. On a more mundane level, ruff can now be seen from the quay wall at dundalk harbour - otherwise wader arrivals continue with large numbers of knot and dunlin starting to arrive, hopefully with a few curlew sandpiper amongst them...there are also still a few roseates hanging around dispersing from rockabill presumably (note that many have two rings, one a BTO and the other a special roseate ring, supposedly readable from distance). In the sleive foyle woods there were also crossbills showing well from top carpark...(may well be still there).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crossbills sleive foye forest aug 05.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	28807  

Last edited by breffni : Sunday 28th August 2005 at 10:33.
Old Wednesday 31st August 2005, 12:20   #23
Endemichere

Hi Breffni, I have been using somefo the info you posted the last while so thanks for making the effort, but two small things:

1 Would itbe possible to post info in "real time"? I have managed to see some of the birds you mentioned but usually itwas too late
2 Could you give a bit more information on where these places you mention are - i can't even find some of them on the OS map!

Anyway keep up the good work!
Old Friday 2nd September 2005, 14:00   #24
Endemichere

there was a spotted redshank by the harbour at annagassan yesterday around 8...
Old Tuesday 6th September 2005, 10:04   #25
breffni

Hi Endemichere,

Dundalk bay is regularly watched by about 8 birders, yet it represents one of the biggest concentrations of wetland birds in the country peaking at 50,000 birds in Jan/Feb. So the point of this thread is not to provide real-time information but to give a flavour of what is around from time to time, particularly for people who are beginning to watch birds (the old hands will know most of this stuff) so in reply to yours:
1. If you want realtime information i would suggest the following:
* BINS hotline - 1550111700 for daily, sometimes hourly updates
* www.birdsireland.com (rarity photos and info nationwide)
* www.irishbirding.com (there is a sort of weekly roundup and photos nationwide)

2. The best source on where places are and how to get to them is in a book called Where To Watch Birds In Ireland by Hutchinson, fairly widely available. Where I mention places not covered Ill try to provide better directions (my dyslexia doesn't help either!)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: