Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.93 average.
Old Monday 21st December 2009, 11:26   #3051
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolce View Post
I walked home on split to see him in front garden and then got these pictures on grassy verge up on the roadside closeby. I wonder would he like a new home for all year round ......I think he is so beautiful. If only it were as easy to photograph all birds.
Great shots Dolce (you may well be the first human being the bird has ever seen!) - there are dozens around here this morning, along with song thrushes and skylarks, all coming in from Scotland/Scandanavia with the cold.

Last edited by breffni : Monday 21st December 2009 at 11:34.
Old Monday 21st December 2009, 11:34   #3052
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidge View Post
Hi I posted on the main forum looking for info on birdwatching in the boyne valley area eg best spots where to get equipment etc. and I was directed to the local patch ,as louth is in my area anybody got info on the above thanks, ps I didnt know whether to start a new thread or just post on this one
HI Squidge, Here is the place to post alright. The Louth birds website is here: birdslouth.blogspot.com and attached is a pdg about where to watch birds in Louth. For equipment might be best ordering by phone from www.birdwatchireland.ie - i don't know optics shops in drogheda but the three or four shops in Dundalk are all selling over-priced crappy optics, sales people know nothing etc.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Where_to_Watch_Louth.pdf (455.0 KB, 95 views)
Old Monday 21st December 2009, 12:08   #3053
squidge
Wha Whassssat

Ok thanks breffni

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 11:39   #3054
breffni

Hundreds of fieldfares, redwings, song thrushes, starlings in the fields this morning - there were seven male balckbirds in my garden - to the consternation of the resident one...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fieldfare redwing december.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	233939  
Old Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 22:42   #3055
Dolce

Quote:
Originally Posted by breffni View Post
Hundreds of fieldfares, redwings, song thrushes, starlings in the fields this morning - there were seven male balckbirds in my garden - to the consternation of the resident one...
I must look out tomorrow to see if my Redwing is still about and the gorgeous small bobbing birds too. I saw my Robin twice managing to get on the peanut feeder close to door (one with guard around it for small birds only) although he did not stay long on it. I got a new seed feeder in B&Q with a wide circle at bottom and the Robin I noticed is happy feeding away on it. I did not realise it was 9 pound almost or he might not have got it but probably dearer than usual as adapted. The guy there told me they have a Robin waiting for them to open garden centre doors every single morning to get in and eat spilled bird seeds and he sits on one of the workers arm now.
Indeed I counted five blackbirds at one time in my garden and was surprised too to see so many. About three Greenfinches most I have seen at one time and one lovely little Coal Tit. I watched a female Chaffinch attack a very small bird (looked like Redpoll) to chase him from the seed tray and was surprised to see it so vicious. I also have one Magpie that is going in the small bird house daily and was at the back door for seeds once even. My birds seem to be more than fond of the mixed bag of seeds that Barneys pet shop near the Mall sell. I was thinking about the lovely Bullfinches near here in the snow and threw in some seeds for them too. I see quite a few Robins in houses closer to the town and lovely song Thrushes around the ambulance station. I heard all the Long Tailed Tits before I saw them in the trees at back of Nurses home and yes as I guessed flitting across the Camlough road to the copse of trees there.
I see a lot of small darkish birds about that fly low and almost lifeless sort of and then propel their wings rapidly and keep repeating this pattern. Just curious what bird flies like this ?
Old Sunday 27th December 2009, 19:53   #3056
squidge
Wha Whassssat

Two new types of bird in my back garden today, As I'm new to this I put their pics up on the bird id forum, they were confirmed as a Linnet and a meadow pipit. Also on the green behind my back garden there were two oyster catchers. A good day overall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01082.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	234592  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01069.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	234593  

Last edited by squidge : Sunday 27th December 2009 at 20:23.

Old Monday 28th December 2009, 15:47   #3057
Dolce

Two lovely birds so goodness knows what more may be in store for you.
Old Monday 28th December 2009, 17:23   #3058
Peter Phillips

Male Hen Harier and an unseasonal Whimbrel over Lurgangreen marsh today
Old Tuesday 29th December 2009, 14:22   #3059
breffni

Interesting year - for me the highlights were the corncrake(s) and the red-necked grebe + the pelagic. No little stint (was there a white rumped sandpiper?), black-throated diver, marsh tern, ring necked duck etc. The shortstaying pec on the docks was good! Also i can only recall seeing a single storm petrel this year, whereas there were hundreds last year.

I guess the bird of the year would have to go to Oscar's Caspian Tern, a 9th Irish record and presumably a first for Louth. Other notables were the disappearance of the woodpecker from the 4th April, tha apparent non-return of the dowitcher and the extremely fleeting appearance of the forsters tern....

Last edited by breffni : Tuesday 29th December 2009 at 14:56.
Old Wednesday 30th December 2009, 17:06   #3060
breffni

Little gull off cooley point this afternoon in the gale and a curlew in my garden...
Old Thursday 31st December 2009, 00:44   #3061
Dolce

I looked out yesterday to see a lovely male Blackcap sitting in my Willow tree close to glass doors and it really is an unmistakeable bird. It did not stay too long but hopefully will return again and so nice to see a new bird. I am also really enjoying Jim Wilson and Mark Carmodys new book on Irish Shorebirds.
Old Thursday 31st December 2009, 13:00   #3062
breffni

Try putting out apples cut in half on the end of a bamboo stick - winter blackcaps seem to find this irresistable.
Old Thursday 31st December 2009, 20:57   #3063
Dolce

Quote:
Originally Posted by breffni View Post
Try putting out apples cut in half on the end of a bamboo stick - winter blackcaps seem to find this irresistable.
Thanks Breffni and actually I read about them liking apples in a book last night. Today I put big chunks out in a fatball feeder and pretty sure I saw him away high up in the trees as he is bigger and fatter than Sparrows etc. I was delighted at least to see a beautiful large Mistle Thrush walking around back garden a lot today.
Old Friday 1st January 2010, 20:26   #3064
Dolce

I counted six Redwing Thrushes searching for worms on grassy verges at side of road on route home in the snow and two Song Thrushes. Unusual the way they do not stay together in a flock and well apart but possibly more chance of finding worms which I saw one Redwing eating.
There are seven Robins at home in Omeath chasing the Sparrows away from the peanut feeder and managing well most of time feeding on it. Once or twice they got their feet caught in the mesh and one finally managed to free himself just before help was being offered. Two more Robins are happy living in the garage there since the last snow and drinking water out of the dogs bowl ............. and getting bread and milk too. I guess they are roomin in for the winter.
Old Monday 4th January 2010, 00:39   #3065
Dolce

I have an odd quite petite bird which I only have mainly front view of on the Niger feeder. It has a buff plain chest with this very noticeable large enough circle of pure white around under the chin and neck that stands out from the buff. I think it has a striped head or stripe through sides of face but have to check that again and pale beak. It or a goldfinch seem to live almost on the Niger feeder. Some very different lovely large slender black and white large birds about today with a nice flight pattern. The underwings were black and white as quite low sometimes. I think some kind of sea birds.
Old Monday 4th January 2010, 09:19   #3066
Monahawk

Took in an afternoons birding at the bay yesterday afternoon. 61 species seen in 2 hours.
Highlights included a male Snow Bunting at Annaghasan Harbour[ nearly trod on it!].Wish I had a camera as this fellow was very obliging.
Mixed flocks of Reed Buntings, Yellowhammers, Skylarks, Thrushes, Linnets and Tree Sparrows in stubble fields at Salterstown.
Raptors included Buzzard, Kestrel and Peregrine.
At Lurgangreen more Tree Sparrows and on the mud flats Bar tailed Godwit, Greenshank, Grey and Golden Plover, Brent Geese and Pintail.
Not much out at sea though there were some small flocks of Common Scoter, the odd Gannet and a small number of Great Northern Divers.
In all a very pleasant couple of hours.
Old Monday 4th January 2010, 14:07   #3067
breffni

Caught up with that snow bunting yesterday evening in the virtual dark - the bird can be found by parking at the harbour at annagassan and walking back towards "the saltings" apartment buildings along the shore path - there up to 1:30 pm today and will probably hang around.
Old Monday 4th January 2010, 14:11   #3068
breffni

Geology of County Louth - an illustrated talk by Brendan McSherry, Heritage Officer for County Louth

This evening's talk, (8pm, Monday 4th of January 2010 at the Spirit Store, Dundalk Docks) will stray away from the birds of County Louth to the geology and geological history of the County. For such a small county Louth boasts geological features dating from three key geological periods in earths history. Bird habitats such as Dundalk Bay, the Cooley Mountains or Carlingford Lough, are created through geological processes over millions of years, processes with which birds have evolved. For example, bird migration started with the ebb and flow of the ice ages. Bedrock geology determines the quality of soil and therefore habitat. Geological processes created the mountain peaks where the Peregrine Falcon nests as much as the submerged skerries and moraine where the Guillemot hunts.

Brendan qualified as a geologist and practiced as one for several years before getting into the heritage business, making him the perfect speaker to elucidate this fascinating subject.

All are welcome - talk will finish at 9pm
Old Tuesday 5th January 2010, 19:16   #3069
frank c

Added the Snow Bunting to my New Year List this morning it was giving good views along the shingle beach to the right of Annagassan Harbour. Anybody thinking of heading down there beware. the roads are bad, it's cold there too, just ask the Brass Monkeys.
Old Wednesday 6th January 2010, 11:20   #3070
breffni

Nice one Frankie - now all we need is a little auk or a snowy owl...or maybe a gyr falcon!
Old Wednesday 6th January 2010, 15:37   #3071
breffni

The Wildlife Service has closed the hunitng season due to the cold: http://www.environ.ie/en/Heritage/Na...y,21961,en.htm

As a result shooting is illegal until further notice - ring guards/npws if you see shooting!!
http://www.environ.ie/en/Heritage/Na...y,21961,en.htm
Old Wednesday 6th January 2010, 18:51   #3072
gareth2005

This affects Wilfowl and waders only.

Shooting of vermin is still allowed.
Old Wednesday 6th January 2010, 19:15   #3073
breffni

Very true - pheasant and wood pigeon can also still be shot.
Old Wednesday 6th January 2010, 20:25   #3074
squidge
Wha Whassssat

I noticed while watching my birdfeeders today that the birds feeding around them were a lot more aggressive than usual. Is this normal behaviour or is it because of the cold spell that the pressure is starting to show.

Old Wednesday 6th January 2010, 20:44   #3075
Monahawk

I've noticed this too. I can only think this is down to a combination of competition and desperation for food. It must be bloody hard for them at present.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: