Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.93 average.
Old Friday 4th August 2006, 01:10   #326
breffni

Today at giles quay the black guilleomots were back in - the young have now fledged and are presumably out at sea - the birds resting on the quay wall were all adults, mostly just starting moult; also picking along the quay wall was an inquisitive rock pipit, also moulting, and in the mid-afternoon three juv eider showed up, moving westwards towards bellurgan, diving the rocky shoreline. Also a good few whimbrel passing through, often hanging with the greenshank...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black guillemot giles quay aug 06.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	54127  Click image for larger version

Name:	eider giles aug 06.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	54128  Click image for larger version

Name:	rock pipit giles quay aug 06.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	54129  Click image for larger version

Name:	whimbrel carlingford lough july 06.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	54167  

Last edited by breffni : Friday 4th August 2006 at 11:20.
Old Saturday 5th August 2006, 13:41   #327
Derek Watters

Bargain Bird Books

As with most people interested in birds I have built up a collection of bird books over the years. While in Newry yesterday I visited a shop called Boyds which has a bargain books section upstairs. They have a very good selection of books on birds including some specific titles on Migration, Snipe & woodcock, world waders, etc. And all from 3 to 8 sterling!!
Well worth a visit.
Old Saturday 5th August 2006, 20:15   #328
ardnasx1
Sandra

That's good to know Derek, must check it out, you can never have too many books.....

Out and about today and yesterday between Hermitage and Carlingford Lough, got reasonable views of storm petrels even though the tide was out. Large numbers of manx shearwaters off Hermitage today. Plenty of waders to be seen. Stopped by Mulahattin, fairly quiet for birds but there were incredible numbers of butterflies around which made it well worth the visit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Peacock mulahattin 050806.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	54312  
Old Wednesday 9th August 2006, 10:49   #329
breffni

Several reports of med gulls + arctic skuas in and around seabank/lurgangreen the last few days. Long-eared owl at cooley point, regularly hunting the stubble fields in the evening from about 8pm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	long eared owl cooley point aug 06.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	54640  

Last edited by breffni : Wednesday 9th August 2006 at 10:54.
Old Friday 11th August 2006, 11:24   #330
breffni

Yesterday evening at dundalk harbour wader numbers starting to build with a ruff and a winter plumage curlew sandpiper present, the latter easily confused with the many dunlin running around in juv/juv-1W plumage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ruff ddalk harb aug 06.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	54789  
Old Friday 11th August 2006, 20:17   #331
Enda

Quote:
Originally Posted by breffni
Several reports of med gulls + arctic skuas in and around seabank/lurgangreen the last few days. Long-eared owl at cooley point, regularly hunting the stubble fields in the evening from about 8pm.
fantastic photo of the long ear owl, Breffni
Old Sunday 13th August 2006, 20:34   #332
Enda

6 artic skuas (4 at hermitage & 2 at seabank) & this 2nd winter med gull at cruisetown was the best this morning
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KICX6815 (4).JPG
Views:	161
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	54973  Click image for larger version

Name:	KICX6884 (5).JPG
Views:	129
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	54974  
Old Monday 14th August 2006, 21:07   #333
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enda
6 artic skuas (4 at hermitage & 2 at seabank) & this 2nd winter med gull at cruisetown was the best this morning
easily overlooked the sub-adult meds - nice shots - the owl was a fluke, like the rest of them...
Old Monday 14th August 2006, 21:54   #334
Enda

for those interested a number of clouded yellow butterflies were at rathcor today. they are a migrant and quite uncommon i would presume they are also at other nearby sites.a good variety of other species were also present included 2x walls,small copper,painted ladys,meadow browns,c.blues,peacocks & small & large whites.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kicx6904 (2).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	55069  
Old Monday 14th August 2006, 22:54   #335
Enda

Quote:
easily overlooked the sub-adult meds - nice shots - the owl was a fluke, like the rest of them...
dont believe a word of it wish i could "fluke" as many shots
Old Tuesday 15th August 2006, 12:38   #336
ardnasx1
Sandra

Was out around Dunany Point the last couple of days, plenty around there - common terns feeding their young, sandwich terns, little tern, black headed, herring, common and LBB gulls, kittiwakes, cormorants, curlews, oystercatchers, whimbrel, redshanks, greenshank, dunlin, sanderlings, turnstones, ringed plovers, grey plover, common sandpiper, RB merganser in on the stones, and then there were the frustrating juvenile waders that I haven't figured out yet! Out to sea there were guillemots, gannets, shearwaters.

At Baltray all the little terns have gone, the place is eerily silent after the constant noise that filled the air for the last few months.
Old Wednesday 16th August 2006, 09:21   #337
gareth2005

Just a quick question, Where do you all buy your garden bird food peanuts etc.
Is there anywhere locally where you can buy in bulk to cut down on cost ??

Cheers

Gareth
Old Wednesday 16th August 2006, 14:46   #338
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
for those interested a number of clouded yellow butterflies were at rathcor today. they are a migrant and quite uncommon i would presume they are also at other nearby sites.a good variety of other species were also present included 2x walls,small copper,painted ladys,meadow browns,c.blues,peacocks & small & large whites.
I'd imagine most of us have an interest in butterflies and other wildlife so this sort of information is useful, especially if there are rarities around.

Gareth, peanuts can be bought in bulk from agricultural shops and work out much better value. I get mine via Margaret so hopefully she will give more details.
Old Wednesday 16th August 2006, 19:22   #339
MargaretM

Good to know about the butterflies Enda, good photo. I'll be scouring the bushes for this rarity.

Gareth, I buy my peanuts in 25kg bags and they sell at 38.50 from Lakeland Dairies, they have a store at Station Road, Castlebellingham and at Newgrange Business Park in Drogheda.
Old Thursday 17th August 2006, 14:06   #340
breffni

Field outing

Sunday 3rd September is Water Heritage Day, part of Heritage week. To mark the occasion the North Louth Branch of Birdwatch Ireland is organising a field trip to observe birds in and around Lurgangreen and the Fane river estuary, just south of Dundalk. Anybody interested should meet at the end of the cul-de-sac just beside the Fane river along the old Dublin road at around 6:30pm. We would expect to see waders, ducks, gulls and a few songbird species, as well as to get to know the general area. All welcome.
Old Thursday 17th August 2006, 14:53   #341
gareth2005

Great Info thanks All. Much cheaper than the shops !!
Will try and make that walk on the 3rd of September Breffni
Old Friday 18th August 2006, 16:31   #342
breffni

while trying unsuccessfully to get a shot of the clouded yellows at rathcor (there were at least three but very flighty) i eventually noticed a juvenile kestrel watching me from the old mill...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kestrel juv rathcor aug 06.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	55467  Click image for larger version

Name:	kestrel rathcor.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	55472  

Last edited by breffni : Friday 18th August 2006 at 17:05.
Old Saturday 19th August 2006, 20:25   #343
Enda

this 3rd winter yellow legged gull was at lurgangreen this morning taken about high tide he was standing out on the marsh at a good distance so the pics are not that good (they never are anyhow)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kicx6924 (2).jpg
Views:	155
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	55640  
Old Sunday 20th August 2006, 11:58   #344
breffni

Thanks - pic is helpful for looking for bird again - I guess its not a herring gull because the mantle is dark? but what else to look for?
Old Sunday 20th August 2006, 12:12   #345
breffni

Hermitage

A licence for an oyster farm has been given for the area opposite hermitage. This involves clearing the existing biodiversity so that there is nothing to compete with the oysters, then laying immature oysters out in metal trays. Work started in the last week or so - still trying to find out the extent of this.
Old Sunday 20th August 2006, 13:13   #346
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
A licence for an oyster farm has been given for the area opposite hermitage. This involves clearing the existing biodiversity so that there is nothing to compete with the oysters, then laying immature oysters out in metal trays. Work started in the last week or so - still trying to find out the extent of this.
A few weeks ago large quantities of "mussel seed" were removed from Dunany Point on the southern side of Hermitage. I made enquiries from Dept of Marine as to the legalities of this as I know it requires a licence but haven't had a proper answer yet. The amount being removed seemed like an awful lot and I couldn't see how it wouldn't have a bad effect on the ecosystem there. I since read in the Drogheda Independent that locals had complained and that seemingly the Dept of Marine had no objection. I wonder if this was related to this oyster farm, could this have been the reason they were allowed to remove the mussel beds, if the area was going to be cleared anyway. Last week I walked around Dunany Point a couple of times and the water looked black and there was a terrible smell. It could be coincidental and just be rotting seaweed, but it could also be to do with the mass disturbance.
Old Sunday 20th August 2006, 23:20   #347
Enda

Quote:
Thanks - pic is helpful for looking for bird again - I guess its not a herring gull because the mantle is dark? but what else to look for?
dont feel im qualified to be giving advice on the identification of yellow legged gulls but will try.the 3rd winter gull is mostly adult looking dull yellow legs,mantle darker then argenteus herring but not as dark as lesser black back, it is a more powerful looking gull than herring(chest stuck out) with a heavier looking head & bill which is blunter looking there is still some immature feathers on the tertials & wing coverts & on the tail.this photo is of a adult YLG at seabank today with a herring in the shot notice the difference in mantle & leg colours its quite a small bird probaly a female. hope this is of help to someone BTW the 3rd winter ylg put in appearances at both lurgangreen &seabank this morn with a fly by osprey at lurgangreen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kicx7189 (3).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	55827  
Old Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 11:10   #348
Derek Watters

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth2005
Just a quick question, Where do you all buy your garden bird food peanuts etc.
Is there anywhere locally where you can buy in bulk to cut down on cost ??

Cheers

Gareth
Hi Gareth. Just a quick note relating to your query on bird food. I used to get mine in the pet store on the way into newry from dundalk (down the hill on LEFT). However recently I called into a shop called Poundstrechers in Newry and got the following - sunflower seed (1.75 for 1kg) and (1.85 for 1.85kg of mixed seed). This is the cheapest I have managed to get them - I don't know how this compares to other sources, but it may help you.
Derek
Old Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 11:21   #349
breffni

Quote:
dont feel im qualified to be giving advice on the identification of yellow legged gulls but will try.the 3rd winter gull is mostly adult looking dull yellow legs,mantle darker then argenteus herring but not as dark as lesser black back, it is a more powerful looking gull than herring(chest stuck out) with a heavier looking head & bill which is blunter looking there is still some immature feathers on the tertials & wing coverts & on the tail.this photo is of a adult YLG at seabank today with a herring in the shot notice the difference in mantle & leg colours its quite a small bird probaly a female. hope this is of help to someone BTW the 3rd winter ylg put in appearances at both lurgangreen &seabank this morn with a fly by osprey at lurgangreen
Every bit helps - went looking for the ylg's yesterday but no joy - there was an influx of knot though, 1200 roosting at high tide at dundalk harbour, along with a ruff. Also a few wheatears psssing through...saw a kestrel size raptor with pointy wings flying down towards lurgangreen, following the river - might have been a hobby.
Old Wednesday 23rd August 2006, 11:29   #350
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Watters
Hi Gareth. Just a quick note relating to your query on bird food. I used to get mine in the pet store on the way into newry from dundalk (down the hill on LEFT). However recently I called into a shop called Poundstrechers in Newry and got the following - sunflower seed (1.75 for 1kg) and (1.85 for 1.85kg of mixed seed). This is the cheapest I have managed to get them - I don't know how this compares to other sources, but it may help you.
Derek
Minor point but if mixed seed contains sunflower seeds, finches will selectively discard everything to get at the sunflower seeds.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: