Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.93 average.
Old Thursday 24th August 2006, 09:08   #351
gareth2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Watters
Hi Gareth. Just a quick note relating to your query on bird food. I used to get mine in the pet store on the way into newry from dundalk (down the hill on LEFT). However recently I called into a shop called Poundstrechers in Newry and got the following - sunflower seed (1.75 for 1kg) and (1.85 for 1.85kg of mixed seed). This is the cheapest I have managed to get them - I don't know how this compares to other sources, but it may help you.
Derek
Thanks for that Derek I'll have a look there.
Old Saturday 26th August 2006, 17:46   #352
ardnasx1
Sandra

An osprey this morning at Lurgangreen was reported on BINS. That's two weekends in a row, wonder if it's the same one and it's hanging around.
Old Sunday 27th August 2006, 10:49   #353
MargaretM

Checked out Lurgangreen and Seabank yesterday. Plenty of birds, though sadly, no osprey. Re Seabank:- saw a large flock of Curlews, probably a couple of hundred in flight. They landed at Seabank where they were, for the most part not visable in the grass. Had we not seen them in flight, we would have thought that there were about twenty or thirty of them only - makes me wonder just how many birds we miss. A tall hide would be great in that area!! Large numbers of Redshank there, resting in grass at the water edge, very easy to miss as they blended in so well, a few Greenshank as well. Large numbers of Oystercatchers, some Lapwings, Godwits and Mallards. Also Herons and one Little Egret.
Hope to make the walk at Lurgangreen 6.30pm on 3rd September Breffni.
Old Sunday 27th August 2006, 12:21   #354
breffni

I missed that osprey also - i think there is a regular passage of ospreys moving south to overwinter in africa from breeding areas in scotland where there are over 200 breeding pairs and they are expanding - two sites in wales have recently been naturally colonised through expansion of the existing population. Hopefully a pair will decide to breed on this side of the irish sea one day.

On friday though, two hours of difficult seawatching conditions along whitestown/balaggan produced hundreds of manxies, one arctic skua and finally a sooty shearwater...two other arctic skuas and a med gull were also reported. Seawatching off louth coast to date this year seems to have produced several arctic skuas, a few bonxies, at least one sooty, a few med shearwaters, many manxies + storm petrels.

Also report of a hobby briefly seen last week at rathcor on a post on top of the sand cliffs...

Last edited by breffni : Sunday 27th August 2006 at 12:26.
Old Sunday 27th August 2006, 19:30   #355
Enda

at hermitage this morn myself & Freddie were both in our vehicles & about to drive off when Freddie spotted a wader fly in off the sea & land at the pond gesturing me over we discovered this juv. wood sandpiper(a very rare bird for Louth) 2 seconds later and it would have been missed ,so well done Freddie.. a number of other people managed to also catch up with it & im sure better photos are out there. also,nice to finally meet up with Sandra & margaret .Elsewhere a adult ylg at seabank& 2nd winter med gull was the best(but have heard of black tern-hermitage &juv med gull- cruisetown also)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kicx7476 (3).jpg
Views:	151
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	56610  Click image for larger version

Name:	kicx7442 (2).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	56612  

Last edited by Enda : Sunday 27th August 2006 at 20:06.
Old Sunday 27th August 2006, 19:48   #356
Enda

produced several arctic skuas, a few bonxies, at least one sooty, a few med shearwaters, many manxies + storm petrels.

nice one Breffni, sootys are rare off east coast
Old Sunday 27th August 2006, 20:01   #357
fredbern

Thanks Enda, it takes two as they say and I'm very glad you were there. A great record for the county. As you said great to see a few people there this morning, news certainly travels a bit faster this season. For what it's worth my photo of the bird is too large to upload!!
Old Sunday 27th August 2006, 20:50   #358
Enda

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbern
Thanks Enda, it takes two as they say and I'm very glad you were there. A great record for the county. As you said great to see a few people there this morning, news certainly travels a bit faster this season. For what it's worth my photo of the bird is too large to upload!!
yes Freddie news is certainly travelling a bit faster this year,which is good to see long may it continue
Old Sunday 27th August 2006, 21:16   #359
breffni

my own best effort - great bird lads! (look forward to paul's shots)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wod sandpiper hermitage 2 aug 06.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	56629  
Old Sunday 27th August 2006, 21:25   #360
MargaretM

Was delighted to finally be able to react to a sighting and saw the Wood Sandpiper at Hermitage, thanks Enda.
It was a good experience to be able to put faces to names at last and to gain from more experienced birders.
It's great to hear about these sightings so quickly, much appreciated.
Old Monday 28th August 2006, 10:16   #361
ardnasx1
Sandra

The wood sandpiper was a fantastic find - well done Freddie! I was thrilled to see it and it is great that so many got to see it, thanks for letting us know Enda. Was good to meet up, it's surprising we don't bump into each other more often. I managed to briefly see the black tern, it was very far out and difficult to see. Got a good look at arctic skuas though.
Old Monday 28th August 2006, 14:32   #362
ardnasx1
Sandra

Wood sandpiper still at Hermitage at lunchtime today.
Old Monday 28th August 2006, 20:24   #363
breffni

bonxie harassing the gannets at balaggan point this evening - also managed to catch up wiht the lesser yellowlegs at dundrum today...
Old Monday 28th August 2006, 21:29   #364
Enda

as mentioned earlier,still present & quite confiding,slight improvement on yesterdays shots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kicx7579 (2).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	56803  
Old Monday 28th August 2006, 21:50   #365
fredbern

Thanks for the updates on the Wood Sandpiper, Enda and Sandra. Great to see it is still there. Best pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0580_1_4_1.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	56806  

Last edited by fredbern : Monday 28th August 2006 at 22:02. Reason: Photo included.
Old Thursday 31st August 2006, 13:30   #366
breffni

Having spent the last few weeks carefully looking for a yellow-legged gull i finally managed to turn up this example at cruisetown on monday...had to send the photos to various experts to confirm the id. The bird should still be hanging around cruisetown/dunaney. Front end looks like a herring gull and back end looks like a lesser black backed gull - mantle is intermediate between lbbg and hg (argenteus) - bird looks basically like a very vicious lbbg. LBBG and HG pics for comparison...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gull1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	57081  Click image for larger version

Name:	gull.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	57082  Click image for larger version

Name:	gulls.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	57085  

Last edited by breffni : Thursday 31st August 2006 at 13:35.
Old Thursday 31st August 2006, 23:21   #367
Enda

Quote:
Originally Posted by breffni
Having spent the last few weeks carefully looking for a yellow-legged gull i finally managed to turn up this example at cruisetown on monday...had to send the photos to various experts to confirm the id. The bird should still be hanging around cruisetown/dunaney. Front end looks like a herring gull and back end looks like a lesser black backed gull - mantle is intermediate between lbbg and hg (argenteus) - bird looks basically like a very vicious lbbg. LBBG and HG pics for comparison...
excellent photos,Breffni.these pics are worth a 1000 words head & bill profile perfect with nice comparisons for mantle with common,herring & lesserbb
another fluked photo i suppose !!!!!
Old Friday 1st September 2006, 12:55   #368
breffni

lets say i had to kiss a lot of frogs before i found this particular prince...who was again present at cruisetown yesterday also 2 x arctic skuas + 1 petrel sp at hermitage -no sign of the wood sand.
Old Sunday 3rd September 2006, 21:02   #369
Enda

this juv. med gull was at cruisetown this morn.it has a red ring on its left leg but it was to distant to read the number
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KICX8178 (6).JPG
Views:	131
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	57407  
Old Sunday 3rd September 2006, 22:21   #370
MargaretM

The Lurgangreen outing went well, a good turnout Breffni, certainly worthwhile.
Plenty to look at including the 4 Little Egrets and the Ruff which I eventually located with the help of Enda and Freddie.
Old Monday 4th September 2006, 09:07   #371
gareth2005

Sorry to have missed the outing in Lurgangreen, ended up going fishing all day. Sounds like a good one though.
Old Tuesday 5th September 2006, 15:46   #372
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth2005
Sorry to have missed the outing in Lurgangreen, ended up going fishing all day. Sounds like a good one though.
Catch anything? The best at lurgangreen was ruff and little egret but the main idea was to explain the site to people - next event is 9th October when Niall Hatch from BWI will give a talk at the spirit store - details to be confirmed...meanwhile a random linnet from hermitage and an adult med gull from templetown beach where there are lots of razorbills and guillemot - many accompanied by little auk-like young...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	september 06 field outing.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	57591  Click image for larger version

Name:	linnet hermitage sept 06.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	57592  Click image for larger version

Name:	med gull templetwon sept 06.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	57593  Click image for larger version

Name:	guillemot wt juv sept 06jpg.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	57594  

Last edited by breffni : Tuesday 5th September 2006 at 16:00.
Old Wednesday 6th September 2006, 14:31   #373
gareth2005

Will definitely make it one of these events, would have really enjoyed it too. Caught 2 Pike in Monaghan, unfortunately found evidence of illegal fishing on yet another lake with fish scales all over the bank.
Old Thursday 7th September 2006, 17:24   #374
breffni

Incidentally there were three shooters and a dog at the southern end of lurgangreen when we got there. They cracked off a few shots but failed to rise the five mallard that were sitting tight and close amongst the waders...anyway after a while they moved to the blackrock side and in one of the stupidest things i've ever seen, laid decoys right in our field of view, presumably hoping to attract the ducks and give the birdwatching group a demonstration of shooting virtuosity the ducks had more sense. Meanwhile there were hundreds of mallard lounging around seabank, a mile to the south...but are decoys kosher in the hunting fraternity?

Last edited by breffni : Thursday 7th September 2006 at 18:31.
Old Thursday 7th September 2006, 19:29   #375
Pluvius

Breffni, as a reformed shooter decoying is kosher.They are generally wildfowlers.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: