Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.93 average.
Old Thursday 12th October 2006, 14:13   #426
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyC
Have just recently come across this forum and have registered today.As you can see I'am not actually from Co. Louth but I do most of my birding around Cooley.I was at the talk in the Spirit Store on Monday night but had to leave as soon as it was over so I didn't get a chance to meet you all.Hope to remedy this in the future.
Hi JimmyC and welcome, the more here the merrier.

Just found out what's going on at Mell quarry. Aside from the new fence that was put up there has been a lot more work going on over the past few weeks, levelling out of the mounds, areas cleared for paths and they have portacabins in there now. What's going on is that since the recycling centre was built on the other side of the quarry the entrance into the nearby old landfill site is gone. Drogheda Borough Council have to put a cap on the landfill site and this is now the only way in for them. As soon as they have their work done that entrance will no longer be used and the quarry will be left in peace. There are no plans whatsoever for the quarry at present.
Old Sunday 15th October 2006, 21:29   #427
Enda

quite enough ,juv med gull at cruisetown,4 little egrets & 2 ruff at seabank curlew sandpiper and the first 2 greylag geese of the season at lurgangreen
btw.juv med gull was unringed so was different bird than a couple of weeks ago. welcome Jimmyc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	med.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	61347  
Old Sunday 15th October 2006, 22:09   #428
MargaretM

Hi Jimmy C, good to have another contributor to the forum.

The talk in the Spirit Store on Monday last was excellent, well done Breffni.
Old Monday 16th October 2006, 10:22   #429
Derek Watters

Crow roost at Park Hotel

Hi all and welcome Jimmy C. Unfortunately I missed the Spirit Store meet last week as I was abroad. While in Warrenpoint on Saturday evening I noted large numbers of crows flying SW towards the wood at the Park Hotel. They came from North of Carlingford Lough - from the Mournes beyond Rostrevor and also from the Carlingford / Omeath direction. I counted over 1,400 while I watched but I'd say there were many more. There seemed to be no movements from West to East (i.e. from Newry etc).
While near Grange, Cooley yesterday evening I noted crows gathering and flying WNW in the direction of Omeath. I can only assume that they were heading to the above mentioned roost - some 9 miles away.
Where are there other large roosts in Louth - it would be a good way of estimating crow numbers in the area.
Nothing interesting to report from the Carlingford / Cooley area at the weekend.
Old Monday 16th October 2006, 12:33   #430
gareth2005

Noticed in the past week or so a large influx of Long tailed Tits in the area.
Do these continental birds bump up the irish population during the winter ?

I didnt see any in years and then recently I have spotted small groups of them in 3 different areas.
Old Monday 16th October 2006, 18:24   #431
ardnasx1
Sandra

Funny enough when I was out at lunchtime in Beaulieu I saw a flock of long tailed tits, must be about 6 months since I'd seen any. I don't know about migration, someone else might help there.

Over the years I've seen massive numbers of crows flying past Kilsaran morning and evening, I don't know where they roost but they seem to head in the direction of Drumcar in the evening. There would be thousands, the sky would be absolutely full of them for quite a while. If I figure out where they actually roost I'll let you know.

Quiet enough weekend, 4 ruff at seabank being the best.
Old Tuesday 17th October 2006, 10:55   #432
breffni

Out yesterday saw a phesant half way up a small tree being mobbed by four magpies...weird behavior for a phesant but it turned out to be an elderberry tree and the phesant was eating the elderberries, to the great displeasure of the magpies. Last year i saw a pair of mistle thrushes guard a holly bush pretty much all winter chasing off all comers.

Later at Lurgangreen a curlew sandpiper and a small flock of whooper swans drinking and preening by the Fane. At seabank four or five Ruff.

Twitched the canada warbler on Friday, dipped the very elusive baltimore oriole on saturday but two cooperative yellow browed warblers made up for it. Shots of the canada warbler:
http://www.kitday-uk.com/canada_warbler.html

My 10 cents worth would be that it might be a bit early in the year for an influx of long-tailed tits - i suspect that they become more visible at this time of the year because they start to join into large groups of 10 or more birds foraging together, also because there is less foilage on the trees, making them easier to see, also because to get the insects they eat they may need to search beyond the areas where they breed. There is a good BBC Radio 4 show on long tailed tits here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/...20060326.shtml
Old Thursday 19th October 2006, 12:56   #433
breffni

I have an adult and a juv buzzard regularly visiting the area of templetown/balaggan, sometimes associating to hunt the many discreet rabbits in the area, the juv light with a huge white supercilium, the adult very dark.

Last monday had five swallows, and yesterday two...as late as i have seen them around here. Derek heard redwings last night - redwings and swallows in the same week...amazing! But then a yellow browed warbler turned up in the same garden as a red eyed vireo in Mayo last week, the former should be in south east asia, the latter a should be in latin america!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	buzzard adult templetown oct 06.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	61654  Click image for larger version

Name:	buzzard templetown oct 06.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	61660  

Last edited by breffni : Thursday 19th October 2006 at 16:46.
Old Friday 20th October 2006, 18:42   #434
MargaretM

Up to a thousand scoters off Cruicetown today. At Hermitage saw a flock of about forty Jackdaws flying together, changing direction etc. They eventually made their way to where we were and we could see that they were harassing a Kestral .... quite a sight. Tommy saw ten House Martins on Wednesday so as you said Breffni, they are unusually late leaving - global warming or what?
Old Friday 20th October 2006, 22:14   #435
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretM
At Hermitage saw a flock of about forty Jackdaws flying together, changing direction etc. They eventually made their way to where we were and we could see that they were harassing a Kestral ....
A kestrel quarters a stubble field near here every afternoon, when he shows up if there are any crows in the vicinity (rooks, jackdaws, grey crows) they immediately fly over and mob the kestrel, making the kestrel fly away, apparently in distress, calling out, crows in pursuit...a few times i have seen the kestrel stop in a tree, the crows fly on, but the kestrel continues calling, bringing them back...off goes the kestrel still calling and leading the now large flock of crows over the brow of the hill...10 minutes later the kestrel is back but this time can hunt in peace.

A few shots from west cork...the lesser yellowlegs was very cooperative.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lesser yellowlegs rosscarbury oct 06.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	61762  Click image for larger version

Name:	pied wagtail rosscarbury oct 06.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	61763  Click image for larger version

Name:	robin cape sept 06.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	61764  
Old Sunday 22nd October 2006, 18:47   #436
ardnasx1
Sandra

After a quiet start to the day there was plenty of activity at Lurgangreen this evening, including 7 whooper swans, around 80 greylag and 4 white fronted geese.

During the week saw some tree sparrows in a flock of mixed finches in Clogherhead.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wh front lgreen 221006.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	61921  

Last edited by ardnasx1 : Sunday 22nd October 2006 at 19:05.
Old Sunday 22nd October 2006, 20:48   #437
Enda

the forsters tern was seen again this morning at cruisetown strand.
Seabank had 6 ruff & 3 little egrets with a large flock of finchs,buntings (yellowhammers & reed buntings) & tree sparrows along the hedgerow & as Sandra has mentioned greylag geese & whooper swans (18 when i was there) at lurgangreen. 12 whoopers also at Rathcor (cooley)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ruff.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	61937  
Old Wednesday 25th October 2006, 16:54   #438
breffni

Great to see the ruff, 8 at seabank, 1 or 2 at lurgangreen and 3 at dundalk harbour on monday, also colour ringed black tailed godwits. Along cruisetown beach at least 40 dead guillemots, all skin and bones, one ringed. On clogher head flushed a few snipe, one maybe a jack snipe (rose silently from my feet and landed nearby, seemed small but i didn't get a proper look). At sea at least one slavonian grebe, hundreds of razorbills, seemingly unaffected whatever is killing the guillemots...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	guillemots dead clogher 21 oct 06.jpg
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	62153  Click image for larger version

Name:	black tailed godwit colour band seabank 21 oct 06.jpg
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	62154  
Old Friday 27th October 2006, 12:22   #439
ardnasx1
Sandra

Saw my first redwing of the season conveniently on a bush just outside my sitting room window, it's been there for 2 days, only 10 feet from the window but very shy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tn_redwing drogheda 271006.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	62299  
Old Sunday 29th October 2006, 14:50   #440
gareth2005

Was out in Lordship looking for a house/Site and came across a field of Deer. There is 3 fields with about a total herd of 40-50. Anyway, these animals are dieing. There is about 8 dead that I can see, the rest are starving, lame and malnourished. It looks like they havnt been fed in weeks.
I rang the SPCA Louth branch and left a message, I then rang the Guards who didn't seem to care.
I'll go back up tomorrow and see if anything has changed. If anyone think they can track down the owner of them or assist the animals please do.
I can be contacted on 087 204 5369 if you want directions.
Old Sunday 29th October 2006, 22:02   #441
gareth2005

Have got speaking to Louth SPCA inspector. They will be taking some sort of action tomorrow. Hopefully a prosecution will follow. I have never seen such cruelty to animals before !!
Old Tuesday 31st October 2006, 16:34   #442
MargaretM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth2005
Have got speaking to Louth SPCA inspector. They will be taking some sort of action tomorrow. Hopefully a prosecution will follow. I have never seen such cruelty to animals before !!
I'm not particularly familiar with that area Gareth. We did see some fields of deer between Mulahattin and the Dundalk/Greenore road during the summer and they looked ok from a distance at that stage. Lets hope that the SPCA take action quickly, it sounds like a pretty horrible set up.
Old Tuesday 31st October 2006, 18:32   #443
MargaretM

[quote=Derek Watters]Hi all and welcome Jimmy C. Unfortunately I missed the Spirit Store meet last week as I was abroad. While in Warrenpoint on Saturday evening I noted large numbers of crows flying SW towards the wood at the Park Hotel. They came from North of Carlingford Lough - from the Mournes beyond Rostrevor and also from the Carlingford / Omeath direction. I counted over 1,400 while I watched but I'd say there were many more. There seemed to be no movements from West to East (i.e. from Newry etc).
While near Grange, Cooley yesterday evening I noted crows gathering and flying WNW in the direction of Omeath. I can only assume that they were heading to the above mentioned roost - some 9 miles away.
Where are there other large roosts in Louth - it would be a good way of estimating crow numbers in the area.
QUOTE]
On my way home this evening a large number of crows flew across the Boyne river. I pulled in and watched as huge numbers of crows flocked around, there had to be a couple of thousand, the sky was filled with them when I stood at the river and looked North towards Baltray. I watched to see where they would go but they kept flying around for about 5 to 10 minutes. At one point during that time there was a loud whoosh from the trees beside me and possibly a hundred crows all flew out of the trees together. The numbers got smaller and I assume that they landed in the trees at Queensboro. It was quite a sight and I will check there again at the same time to see if this is a daily occurance, it was dusk - about 5:30pm.
Was in Wexford over the week-end, weather disappointing on Saturday, really poor visability but Sunday and Monday better. Saw the Velvet Scoters at the North Slobs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Velvet Scoters North Slobs Wexford 2A.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	62624  
Old Wednesday 1st November 2006, 10:15   #444
breffni

Weather similarly aweful in west cork...still yellow-browed warbler, american golden plover, lesser yellowlegs, ring bill gull, hen harrier, though a bad dip on a red breasted flycatcher...ouch!

In the meantime a white-rumped sandpiper was reported at the mouth of the Fane viewable from the Blackrock side on Sunday and Monday, might be still around.
Old Thursday 2nd November 2006, 14:20   #445
ardnasx1
Sandra

Forsters tern still at Cruisetown today, showing very well. Quiet week apart from that. Highlight of last weekend was finding a black redstart in Co Wexford.
Old Thursday 2nd November 2006, 17:02   #446
PJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnasx1
Forsters tern still at Cruisetown today, showing very well. Quiet week apart from that. Highlight of last weekend was finding a black redstart in Co Wexford.
sandra could tell me where cruisetown is.also saw 8 egrets at seabank lunchtime today.this is the time i haved used this site regards peter
Old Thursday 2nd November 2006, 19:30   #447
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJR
sandra could tell me where cruisetown is.also saw 8 egrets at seabank lunchtime today.this is the time i haved used this site regards peter
Hi Peter, welcome to this thread. 8 little egrets was a great number to see at Seabank, I've never seen that many there.

Cruisetown strand runs between Dunany and Clogherhead, it is also known locally as the Big Strand. It's the area where the road runs right along the sea. The area where the forsters tern hangs around is the Clogherhead end where a channel runs out and there are normally gulls there. Are you familiar with that area? If you're not I can give you detailed directions.

Last edited by ardnasx1 : Thursday 2nd November 2006 at 19:45.
Old Thursday 2nd November 2006, 21:54   #448
Enda

a couple of pics from rosscarberry,co. cork from last weekend,of a lesser yellowlegs & american golden plover.weather was terrible but not a bad weekend overall
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9995(3).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	62820  Click image for larger version

Name:	9929(2).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	62821  
Old Saturday 4th November 2006, 17:00   #449
ardnasx1
Sandra

Lurgangreen this afternoon showed plenty of greylags and some brent geese, couldn't see any whitefronted geese or whooper swans this time though. Saw one ruff among the plentiful waders and the only other thing of note was a good number of pintails.
Old Sunday 5th November 2006, 18:23   #450
Enda

black throated diver showed quite well off cruisetown both this morning & afternoon. no sign of the forsters.a number of scaup and unusually a shoveler was mixed in with the scoter flock offshore.a merlin also on the fence at cruisetown. heard of an eider between cruisetown &clogherhead where a chiffchaff was also noted in a hedgerow
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: