Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.93 average.
Old Thursday 23rd November 2006, 15:36   #476
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Phillips
Had distant views of probable Black-throated Diver at Cruisetown.
Glad to hear about that, I've been searching in vain since the one was seen a couple of weeks ago, so there's hope yet
Old Saturday 25th November 2006, 16:02   #477
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quick trip to Lurgangreen today, good numbers of greylag geese there. Hadn't time to look through them all but I did spot 2 barnacle geese among them, I'd imagine these are the same two that have been seen in Dromiskin.
Old Saturday 25th November 2006, 20:37   #478
breffni

Beautiful light today - no heat haze, cold and clear in the afternoon sun...watched a peregrine take a roosting redshank and eat it, also good views of the lighter buzzard and a pupole sandpiper at balaggan point - first time i've seen the latter there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	purple sandpiper balaggan point nov 06.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	64809  Click image for larger version

Name:	buzzard balaggan point nov 06.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	64810  Click image for larger version

Name:	peregrine falcon with pprey balaggan nov 06.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	64811  
Old Sunday 26th November 2006, 17:57   #479
Enda

Quote:
Originally Posted by breffni
Beautiful light today - no heat haze, cold and clear in the afternoon sun...watched a peregrine take a roosting redshank and eat it, also good views of the lighter buzzard and a pupole sandpiper at balaggan point - first time i've seen the latter there.
"pupole" sandpiper, i bet thats got a few people searching the field guides & scratching there heads. nice one Breffni
Old Sunday 26th November 2006, 18:14   #480
Enda

forsters tern is still present at cruisetown, long tail duck at salterstown, 3 pinkfooted geese & 2 barnacle geese at lurgangreen
Old Monday 27th November 2006, 21:40   #481
gareth2005

Great Photos ! Well done.
Old Wednesday 29th November 2006, 16:01   #482
breffni

Last night i attended a public information/consultation meeting regarding a proposed wind farm in Dundalk bay. The planned development will be extensive: 25+ sq km, 50 turbines at 150 m in height each in a grid layout. The location is 5 km of cooley point and will be visible from Blackrock and much of Cooley/Dunaney. The installation will provide about 5% of current national electricity requirements. See www.orielwind.com. EIA is not yet complete and project is slated to start 2008 or so.

Last edited by breffni : Wednesday 29th November 2006 at 16:21.
Old Thursday 30th November 2006, 13:24   #483
ardnasx1
Sandra

Saw the female lesser scaup at Knock lake outside Balbriggan today. It was in with a flock of tufted ducks and a female scaup and showing well.
Old Thursday 30th November 2006, 19:33   #484
MargaretM

Also saw the Lesser Scaup today, the very breezy and dull weather was less than ideal for photos, so that's my excuse for their poor quality!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scaup  Lesser Scaup at Balbriggan 1A Reduced.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	65286  

Last edited by MargaretM : Thursday 30th November 2006 at 19:39.
Old Saturday 2nd December 2006, 17:12   #485
MargaretM

White Billed Diver reported at Hermitage today, not at the cul de sac in Dunany but at the Southern side of Salterstown. Checked both locations but nobody (to my knowledge) managed to see the bird. The Forsters Tern was seen feeding at Clogherhead today.
Old Sunday 3rd December 2006, 18:31   #486
Enda

No sign of the white bill diver today (reported yesterday) despite an extensive search in the salterstown/hermitage area. lots of great northerns and in one scan counted 33 at salterstown. weather wasnt great for scoping but most of the divers were in close
Old Wednesday 6th December 2006, 13:15   #487
ardnasx1
Sandra

Hadn't been out to Baltray beach for quite a while so took a quick trip out there. Large numbers of waders roosting, mainly golden plovers, knots, and 1000+ dunlins.
Old Wednesday 6th December 2006, 16:48   #488
breffni

Bonxie off shelling hill yesterday - no petrels. Twenty-eight grey plover roosting together at cooley point on sunday - unusual to see so many together.
Old Thursday 7th December 2006, 21:45   #489
Enda

anyone see any merit in organising a xmas get together (an informal few drinks in a local pub)

Last edited by Enda : Thursday 7th December 2006 at 21:54.
Old Friday 8th December 2006, 08:28   #490
MargaretM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enda
anyone see any merit in organising a xmas get together (an informal few drinks in a local pub)
Sounds good to me Enda.
Old Friday 8th December 2006, 12:38   #491
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretM
Sounds good to me Enda.
Exceptionally me too - but where?
Old Friday 8th December 2006, 15:47   #492
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Yep sounds good. See what yous think is suitable and us south-Louthers can see if it's managable for us.
Old Friday 8th December 2006, 19:59   #493
Enda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnasx1
Yep sounds good. See what yous think is suitable and us south-Louthers can see if it's managable for us.
i supose thats the problem with these things, whats local for for me, isnt for sandra & margaret etc and reaching a compromise means travel for everyone
perhaps us northerners have been having it all our own way this last year (with the talks & slide shows i mean)and should travel a little south.But would this mean less people would be inclined to turn up(as i think the bulk of the the possible attendance would come from the north of the county) so has anyone got the answer out there., all opinions very welcome
Old Saturday 9th December 2006, 07:05   #494
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
i supose thats the problem with these things, whats local for for me, isnt for sandra & margaret etc and reaching a compromise means travel for everyone
perhaps us northerners have been having it all our own way this last year (with the talks & slide shows i mean)and should travel a little south.But would this mean less people would be inclined to turn up(as i think the bulk of the the possible attendance would come from the north of the county) so has anyone got the answer out there., all opinions very welcome
I don't think there's any perfect answer but I guess Dundalk is probably the most sensible, there'd be travel involved for some of us no matter where is picked. Just as well this county isn't any bigger! What does anyone else think?
Old Saturday 9th December 2006, 11:09   #495
Peter Phillips

Xmas drinks

Quote:
I don't think there's any perfect answer but I guess Dundalk is probably the most sensible, there'd be travel involved for some of us no matter where is picked. Just as well this county isn't any bigger! What does anyone else think?
Xmas Drinks sound like a great idea, I live in Ardee so Drogheda or Dundalk is all the same. How about alternating towns each year. I am sure it would be possible to organise car sharing for you townies so only one or two of you would have to forgo alcohol.
Old Saturday 9th December 2006, 15:22   #496
ardnasx1
Sandra

We'll also have to work out when suits everyone. Any day except Tue 19th suits me.
(For what it's worth this coming Thurs would suit particularly well for me, Margaret and Tommy as we could probably get a lift that day)
Old Sunday 10th December 2006, 10:43   #497
breffni

Quote:
We'll also have to work out when suits everyone. Any day except Tue 19th suits me.
(For what it's worth this coming Thurs would suit particularly well for me, Margaret and Tommy as we could probably get a lift that day)
Suits me - though anytime suits me - bars will be packed though (should be a pretty lively night at the spiritstore! - see http://www.spiritstore.ie/)...

Any good birds out there yesterday? I had a small flock of redpoll pause in my garden - otherwise very quiet along balaggan/whitestown/templetown...
Also has anyone checked the geese at stabannon/braganstown recently?
Old Sunday 10th December 2006, 19:39   #498
Enda

hows about leaving it to after xmas say the 28-29 dec the pubs might be a wee bit quieter this is only a suggestion what does everyone else think.
a 1st winter iceland gull was at clogherhead today and this dark eyed herring gull at cruisetown which raised hopes of caspian for a moment but im happy its a herring
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ct2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	66124  Click image for larger version

Name:	ct3.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	66125  
Old Monday 11th December 2006, 08:50   #499
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
hows about leaving it to after xmas say the 28-29 dec the pubs might be a wee bit quieter this is only a suggestion what does everyone else think.
a 1st winter iceland gull was at clogherhead today and this dark eyed herring gull at cruisetown which raised hopes of caspian for a moment but im happy its a herring
That sounds sensible if it's ok with everyone.

Saw the iceland gull, thanks Enda. Apart from that we'd a fairly quiet day, one blackcap in the Seabank area.

Checked the geese at Lurgangreen at high tide on Saturday and there was no sign of the barnacle or pinkfooted geese among them. There wasn't a great number there, a couple of weeks ago I'd noticed good influx there at high tide but it wasn't the case on Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iceland gull clogher 101206 (1).JPG
Views:	124
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	66170  Click image for larger version

Name:	iceland gull clogher 101206 (2).JPG
Views:	110
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	66171  

Last edited by ardnasx1 : Monday 11th December 2006 at 09:55.
Old Tuesday 12th December 2006, 18:18   #500
MargaretM

Quote:
Yep, thats fine by me, even if we are missing a lively night in the Spirit Store this week!!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: