Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.93 average.
Old Sunday 31st December 2006, 18:51   #526
Enda

Quote:
Originally Posted by breffni
Hunting is permitted from Lurgangreen to Annagassan - the only rule is that you must be more than 50 yards from a road or dwelling to shoot. It could be that an increase in hunting is having an adverse effect...(hunters would argue that they have been hunting the area for years anyway).

One point about the hunting community though: hunters are one of the few other consitituencies that are interested in the conservation of wild places, albiet for different reasons...
seabank had a no hunting (parks & wildlife) sign in place for years not sure where the boundarys start or finish you make a good point about the conservation of wild places and they would have a stronger lobby so perhaps we have more in common than first meets the eye
and a happy new year to u pluvis and to all

Last edited by Enda : Sunday 31st December 2006 at 18:56.
Old Monday 1st January 2007, 17:35   #527
MargaretM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvius
Happy New Year Louth Local patch!
Thanks Pluvius .... A happy new year to all the forum users.
Old Tuesday 2nd January 2007, 14:00   #528
Peter Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretM
Thanks Pluvius .... A happy new year to all the forum users.
Finally caught up with the Red throated Pipit this morning. There was a Merlin hunting over the area when I was leaving so it might not last too long.
Old Tuesday 2nd January 2007, 17:00   #529
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enda
seabank had a no hunting (parks & wildlife) sign in place for years not sure where the boundarys start or finish you make a good point about the conservation of wild places and they would have a stronger lobby so perhaps we have more in common than first meets the eye
and a happy new year to u pluvis and to all
I know the sign you mean, but there is nothing on the map - must try to get a better map.

Enjoyed your blog Pluvius - though took a while to figure out how to turn off the audio! and nice score for the first day of 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Phillips
Finally caught up with the Red throated Pipit this morning. There was a Merlin hunting over the area when I was leaving so it might not last too long.
Nice one - i went for the rt pipit, waxwings and blue wing teal in Dublin area yesterday but ended up with a carrion crow the best (recalling 1st Jan 06 when, thanks to enda, i had a jay, hawfinch, mandarin ducks and purple sandpiper to start the year)!

Last edited by breffni : Tuesday 2nd January 2007 at 17:05.
Old Tuesday 2nd January 2007, 19:51   #530
ardnasx1
Sandra

At last, managed to see a flock of crossbills at Mulahattin today.
Old Wednesday 3rd January 2007, 17:45   #531
ardnasx1
Sandra

Couple of blackcaps feeding in my garden today below. I've had 3 in total so far this winter, the most I've ever had was 5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackcap1 030107.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	68057  
Old Thursday 4th January 2007, 07:17   #532
Peter Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnasx1
At last, managed to see a flock of crossbills at Mulahattin today.
Would be interested in looking for these crossbills on monday, does anybody have directions and location
Thanks in Advance
Old Thursday 4th January 2007, 08:25   #533
MargaretM

Quote:
Would be interested in looking for these crossbills on monday, does anybody have directions and location
Thanks in Advance
If you look at page 11 of this forum, Derek has a post there giving full directions to Mullahattin. Good luck on Monday, I hope to get out there in the next week or so as well.
Old Thursday 4th January 2007, 08:26   #534
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Watters
Forested area in Cooley mountains above Jenkinstown.
From North: Travel south towards Dundalk until you reach the large Ballymac roundabout (approx) 8km South of the border. Take the first left on the roundabout (signs for Carlingford and Greenore). Continue along this road for 4.5km and you will enter a 60kph speed zone. Having passed a church / soccer pitches on left / garage on right, you take the next left (small filter lane). After 150m follow the road round to the right (do not go straight) and continue to next junction. This is a staggered crossroads. Turn right the immediate left up steep hill. After 1.3km take right turn (only right turn on hill). Proceed through forest for c.300m to reach location.
From South: Travel 4km North of Dundalk to Ballymac roundabout then as above.
From Omeath: Proceed up hill at garage in the village towards Long Womans Grave. Pass through the Long Womans Grave, after which take right over bumps on road. Take first right(2km) then first left(further 1.4km), then location 300m.
From Carlingford/Greenore: Head towards Dundalk on main road. Take first right after the turn for Giles Quay. At t-junction turn left, pass sharp 90 degree bend and proceed uphill for 2.5km to location.
These are Derek's directions for Mullahattin. You can try going in at the 2nd barrier on the left, it was in there I saw them. It seems to be hit and miss with the crossbills, we looked for them numerous times earlier last year with no luck when everyone else was seeing them, so good luck with your search. Good spot for ravens, jays and plenty of other birds too, it's never disappointing.
Edit: These are the same directions as Margaret referred to, we posted at the same time!

Last edited by ardnasx1 : Thursday 4th January 2007 at 08:38.
Old Friday 5th January 2007, 14:15   #535
gareth2005

Quote:
Couple of blackcaps feeding in my garden today below. I've had 3 in total so far this winter, the most I've ever had was 5.
Got one female Blackcap this year in my mothers garden in Knockbridge. First time we had one there.

Recently moved house to beside the Avenue road and am surprised at how many birds are readily taken to the feeder. Since xmas i've had Greenfinches, Goldfinches,Chaffinches, blue, great and long tailed tits among others. No Blackcaps to report as of yet though!!
Old Saturday 6th January 2007, 19:02   #536
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth2005
Got one female Blackcap this year in my mothers garden in Knockbridge. First time we had one there.

Recently moved house to beside the Avenue road and am surprised at how many birds are readily taken to the feeder. Since xmas i've had Greenfinches, Goldfinches,Chaffinches, blue, great and long tailed tits among others. No Blackcaps to report as of yet though!!
Have you tried putting an apple out, if there are blackcaps around it's a great way of attracting them.

Saw some tree sparrows on the road between Castlebellingham and Seabank this morning.

Good show of greylag geese at Lurgangreen this afternoon, I counted 875 and there were bound to be more that couldn't be seen. A few white fronted among them, didn't see any others apart from brent, though 2 barnacle were seen earlier (also the green winged teal had been seen there). Great to see the geese back in force. I could see one of them had an orange or red band around it's neck, hard to tell at the distance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	greylag lgreen 060107.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	68292  
Old Sunday 7th January 2007, 11:18   #537
breffni

Quote:
Good show of greylag geese at Lurgangreen this afternoon, I counted 875 and there were bound to be more that couldn't be seen. A few white fronted among them, didn't see any others apart from brent, though 2 barnacle were seen earlier (also the green winged teal had been seen there). Great to see the geese back in force. I could see one of them had an orange or red band around it's neck, hard to tell at the distance.
Great count - the question remains: where are they grazing? I saw a goose with a coloured neck band last year but it had a three number code on it which was unfortunately unreadable - they probably come from this group: http://home.scarlet.be/~pin02658/cr-GreylagG.htm
Old Sunday 7th January 2007, 17:10   #538
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by breffni
Great count - the question remains: where are they grazing? I saw a goose with a coloured neck band last year but it had a three number code on it which was unfortunately unreadable - they probably come from this group: http://home.scarlet.be/~pin02658/cr-GreylagG.htm
I couldn't see anything on the band, it was a very distant view, and it's legs were obscured so I couldn't see if it had a leg ring. Watched the geese for around an hour. At the beginning around a hundred flew off in the general direction of Dromiskin, and after the hour around the same number returned from that direction. The main movement I saw was a flock of approx 450 flew in from Blackrock direction so it might be worth checking out some areas further north than their usual grazing areas. I heard too that they sometimes graze somewhere out the road from Dundalk to Ardee near where that road crosses the Fane, anyone know about that area?
Old Sunday 7th January 2007, 17:11   #539
Peter Phillips

Ring-necked Duck

Found/Refound Adult male Ring necked Duck at Descart Lough (Discovery Series 35) 7km south of Carrickmacross. If your driving from Dundalk its about 28km. When you arrive in Carrickmacross, take the Kingscourt Road. After 3-4km there is a left turn and Descart Lough is signposted from here about 4km due south. You will see the small lake on the right of the road dont stop keep going till you get to lay by for fishermen. Bird easily viewed from here with 30 tufties. Rahans Lough, Lough Fea and Ballyhoe Lough are all nearby and the birds seem to commute between them.
Whooper Swan ,Wigeon and 120 Tufties on Lough Fea.
Old Sunday 7th January 2007, 20:27   #540
MargaretM

As Sandra said, Lurgangreen was busy yesterday with plenty of geese. Also a merlin which seems to perch on the same post for long periods of time. Lots of ducks including at least ten golden eye. Had intended to go to Mulahattin today but the weather was too bad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tn_Golden Eye at Lurgangreen 1.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	68398  
Old Sunday 7th January 2007, 20:39   #541
Enda

Quote:
Found/Refound Adult male Ring necked Duck at Descart Lough (Discovery Series 35) 7km south of Carrickmacross. If your driving from Dundalk its about 28km. When you arrive in Carrickmacross, take the Kingscourt Road. After 3-4km there is a left turn and Descart Lough is signposted from here about 4km due south. You will see the small lake on the right of the road dont stop keep going till you get to lay by for fishermen. Bird easily viewed from here with 30 tufties. Rahans Lough, Lough Fea and Ballyhoe Lough are all nearby and the birds seem to commute between them.
Whooper Swan ,Wigeon and 120 Tufties on Lough Fea.
Nice one Peter, presume its its same bird from Ballyhoe you found last year.
Old Sunday 7th January 2007, 20:47   #542
fredbern

Hi all, haven't been on the forum for a while but would like to wish all of you a very happy and healthy new year. Good birding in 2007.

Was out and about this morning - a quiet day if recent standards are anything to go by. Called in to Lurgangreen around noon, the tide was well in. Totally blown away by the number and diversity the site holds at times like this. Huge numbers of oystercatchers - surely of international importance. Good numbers of goldeneye, pintail, knot, godwits. 20+ greenshank. 2 little egrets, 1 peregrine. Approx. 500 greylags and 250 brent on the marsh.
Old Monday 8th January 2007, 09:10   #543
Peter Phillips

Quote:
Nice one Peter, presume its its same bird from Ballyhoe you found last year.
Thanks Enda, Yes I assume so. Ballyhoe is only 2km south east of this site. Off now to look for Crossbills and check other lakes around Carrick
Old Monday 8th January 2007, 13:05   #544
Peter Phillips

Black Redstart in Monaghan

While out checking the lakes around Carrickmacross today I stumbled upon a Black Redstart at Monalty Lough -R178 on Dundalk Road about 3km east of Carrickmacross. Its a left turn just before the lake, drive down until you get to fishing layby opposite small house and big red barn I flushed the bird from the railings and it flew to a cattle drinker in the field beside the house -hopefully it might be wintering.

(If you can see the lake on the left, from the Dundalk Road with Swans feeding in the fields, you have just missed the turn.) The main N2 road over head is the next landmark followed by the sign for Nuremore Hotel.
Old Tuesday 9th January 2007, 07:23   #545
Peter Phillips

Quote:
These are Derek's directions for Mullahattin. You can try going in at the 2nd barrier on the left, it was in there I saw them. It seems to be hit and miss with the crossbills, we looked for them numerous times earlier last year with no luck when everyone else was seeing them, so good luck with your search. Good spot for ravens, jays and plenty of other birds too, it's never disappointing.
Edit: These are the same directions as Margaret referred to, we posted at the same time!
Thanks Margaret, Sandra et al for the Crossbill directions. Will have to wait tilll next tuesday. It might have stopped raining and blowing a gale by then
Old Tuesday 9th January 2007, 19:53   #546
Enda

a dowitcher sp. was found this morning at Dundalk docks by Eamon L.
its looking good for a short billed (but not 100% confirmed) hopefully better views tomorrow will nail it
Old Tuesday 9th January 2007, 23:51   #547
Derek Watters

Dowitcher

Quote:
a dowitcher sp. was found this morning at Dundalk docks by Eamon L.
its looking good for a short billed (but not 100% confirmed) hopefully better views tomorrow will nail it
Great find by Eamonn - especially if Short Billed - is it only 4 or 5 previous Irish records?? Was down myself for 40mins or so this evening in fading light but no luck.
Should be a test tomorrow to identify if its long / short billed, as both species treated as one up to 1950! Differences in call are a reliable way to tell the two species apart -found this site where you can listen to it -
http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/250/_/target.aspx

Last edited by Derek Watters : Wednesday 10th January 2007 at 00:07.
Old Wednesday 10th January 2007, 12:55   #548
Peter Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Watters
Great find by Eamonn - especially if Short Billed - is it only 4 or 5 previous Irish records?? Was down myself for 40mins or so this evening in fading light but no luck.
Should be a test tomorrow to identify if its long / short billed, as both species treated as one up to 1950! Differences in call are a reliable way to tell the two species apart -found this site where you can listen to it -
http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/250/_/target.aspx

Had the Short-billed? Dowitcher at the Docks at about half eleven. For 5 minutes.The bird was feeding close to the end of the island opposite a rusting crane. I walked as far as I could down (trying not to get run over by trucks). I tried to prepare myself by reading the surfbirds articles before I went down. It does look indeed very short billed. Although i did not notice the top third kink refered to in the article.In fact, in proportion, to a nearby Redshank its billed looked only slightly longer. It appeared to have the swollen base to the bill and quite a steep forehead with the eye more centrally placed as per the surfbirds article and had quite a flat backed appearance.. not hunched. Wing proection not to sure looked level with tail but cant say for certain. Legs lenght-wading in deep mud, forget it.The bird was not well lit but the flank spotting looked grey and blurred not barred. Upperparts inc. wing coverts plain gray but light not great. Hopefully somebody might get some photos to clinch it.
Old Wednesday 10th January 2007, 13:04   #549
Peter Phillips

Quote:
While out checking the lakes around Carrickmacross today I stumbled upon a Black Redstart at Monalty Lough -R178 on Dundalk Road about 3km east of Carrickmacross. Its a left turn just before the lake, drive down until you get to fishing layby opposite small house and big red barn I flushed the bird from the railings and it flew to a cattle drinker in the field beside the house -hopefully it might be wintering.

(If you can see the lake on the left, from the Dundalk Road with Swans feeding in the fields, you have just missed the turn.) The main N2 road over head is the next landmark followed by the sign for Nuremore Hotel.

The barn refered to is gray not red! Inside painted red. No sigh of the bird today but only stayed for a few minutes. It may well have been in or at the back of the barn. Three large"Guard Dogs" killed me with kindness and I left feeling slightly embarassed but flattered by all the attention.

Just before the turn for the lake there are 5-6 large houses grouped together
with stone/block front walls the turn is immediately after the last house. There is a hand drawn green sign on the last lamp post before turn.

No sign of the Crossbills at Jenkinstown
Old Wednesday 10th January 2007, 16:51   #550
M Cowming

Hi guys,

Congrats on the find...great bird for the county list. Has it been definitely identified as SBD? Any photos? Unfortunately i was away while the last bird was at tacumshin and dipped on the Bull Island bird so am interested for obvious reasons. Again, well done to all concerned!!!

Mícheál
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: