Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.93 average.
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 10:37   #626
gareth2005

Has anyone received their Birdwatch Ireland Magazine yet this year? I'm not sure when its due but I moved address recently and fear that I might not receive it.
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 11:31   #627
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth2005
Has anyone received their Birdwatch Ireland Magazine yet this year? I'm not sure when its due but I moved address recently and fear that I might not receive it.
I haven't received mine yet so I wouldn't worry just yet.

Eric Dempsey's outing and talk on Saturday was enjoyable and an excellent turnout.

I picked up these pellets in Parsonstown yesterday. They were in a place where barn owls are known to roost but as they aren't black and shiny they might not be barn owl pellets, does anyone know what they are? One of them is darker than the others so they might be from 2 different birds. There was a kestrel around the area so that's one possibility.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pellets 120207.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	72307  
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 11:36   #628
Peter Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnasx1
I haven't received mine yet so I wouldn't worry just yet.

Eric Dempsey's outing and talk on Saturday was enjoyable and an excellent turnout.

I picked up these pellets in Parsonstown yesterday. They were in a place where barn owls are known to roost but as they aren't black and shiny they might not be barn owl pellets, does anyone know what they are? One of them is darker than the others so they might be from 2 different birds. There was a kestrel around the area so that's one possibility.

Hi Sandra,

The pellets on the left are old pellets-hence the bleaching and dried out look. The pellet on the left looks good. I will send the picture on to the chap who is doing his pHD on Barn Owls (if thats ok) and he should know.

Peter
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 11:48   #629
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Phillips
Hi Sandra,

The pellets on the left are old pellets-hence the bleaching and dried out look. The pellet on the left looks good. I will send the picture on to the chap who is doing his pHD on Barn Owls (if thats ok) and he should know.

Peter
Thanks Peter, I already emailed it to him though so no need. when I hear back from him I'll post the results.

Freddie, I forgot to say I'll certainly be on for the stake out, just let us know when you think would be best.
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 17:27   #630
breffni

For the record there were 4 carrion crows and one hyprid carrion x grey at carlingford this evening + at least 150 jackdaws. Also the long billed dowitcher was on show at dundalk docks on saturday and sunday.

Work on black guillemot nesting cavities is progressing both at giles and at port oriel with a few hiccups - should be ready by the time the birds return.

Oscar had 200 greylags, 250 brent and a pinkfoot at lurgangreen on saturday. Foye wood was extremely quiet today - goldcreasts and treecreepers....

About 40 brave hearts turned out for the outing and talk in carlingford on saturday and while the birds could have been more cooperative, the talk was fascinating. Thanks to evrybody!

Last edited by breffni : Monday 12th February 2007 at 17:30.
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 19:17   #631
Derek Watters

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth2005
Its no problem i'll probably buy some at that pet store on the Newry road that was mentioned earlier in the thread, but thanks for looking anyway.
Gareth. Apologies for the delay in coming back with prices. I checked my receipt for Jolleys Newry - I got sunflower seed and peanuts - one was 1.19/kg and other 1.49/kg - roughly 1.80 and 2.25 per kg. Problem is the receipt dosn't show which is which!
Old Monday 12th February 2007, 19:49   #632
gareth2005

Not a problem thanks anyway, i'll head up there this saturday
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 00:17   #633
gerry k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbern
On the subject of barn owls, fellow birder and superb angler Gerry Keenan and I have been treated to some wonderful views of barn owls over the years while fishing the evening rise on the river Dee at Stabannon/Richardstown. The evening rise occurs when female (mainly) sedge flies alight on the river surface to oviposit following the mating game. This usually happens at dusk from late April/early May onwards, weather dependent. This is also barn owl time! Still fresh in my memory is one such evening when a barn owl, totally oblivious to the fact that I was thigh deep in the river, landed on a post beside me and began to eat its catch with amazing gusto. I didn't move a muscle for what seemed like ages as I reckoned it was one of those 'once in a lifetime' events. Gerry and I still fish the river but sadly the sightings of barn owls are now a rarity. One small consolation occurred early in the new year when I heard the characteristic 'screech' while standing at my back door late one evening. Unfortunately though I didn't manage to see the bird but it was nice to hear and then take a trip down memory lane.
thanks for reminding me of the evenings fishing/birding, at this time I would like to say hi to everyone and intoduce myself, some of you may have seen me out and about the odd time with my good friend Freddie. his message about the barn owl reminded me of an other evening in the same area, I was watching a barn owl hunting from post to post coming towards me, when it got to the post the other side of the river from me it looked across the river then proceeded to fly directly towards me,I tried to stay as still as possible but when I seen them talons inchs from my head I ducked, I hope to join in a stake out some evening, Gerry k.
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 14:15   #634
Peter Phillips

Togher/Keenans Cross Ponds

I went to visit Togher and Keenans Cross ponds today. I have attached some pictures. I hope I am not mixing them up. Togher 1 acre pond on 50 acres of rough grass(old asbestos dump). Keenans cross pond 50 acres maybe 15-20 acre pond and the rest scrub/rough grassland. If anyboby thinks different let me know. Togher first pics then Keenans.
Despite the no shooting signs the birds are very wary.So you are probably right about the shooting.

Went to Lough Fea where the Ring-necked Duck and female Long-tailed Duck were reported yesterday, but no luck.

I got one nice picture of yellowhammer in the garden attached.

Having problem uploading will post Keenans pics later

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yellowhammer garden.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	72375  Click image for larger version

Name:	Togher Pond sign copy.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	72376  Click image for larger version

Name:	Togher Pond copy.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	72377  
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 14:59   #635
Peter Phillips

Keenans Cross pond Pics

Attached are pics of the other pond

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Keenans Cross Pond sign copy.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	72378  Click image for larger version

Name:	Keenanscrosspond.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	72379  
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 16:10   #636
Derek Watters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enda
the scope on sale at aldi today is well worth the 36 euro. bought one for the young fellow and was suprised at the quality( for the price) would recommend for a first scope for anyone starting
Good value if you could get one - there should be alot of new birders out there this week judging by the speed the scopes sold out in the Aldi store in Dundalk! I know a few people who were disappointed at not getting one.
I got a pair of Meade binocs in Aldi a few years ago for a very reasonable price and the quality and reliabilty has been very good.

Last edited by Derek Watters : Tuesday 13th February 2007 at 16:13.
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 16:47   #637
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry k
thanks for reminding me of the evenings fishing/birding, at this time I would like to say hi to everyone and intoduce myself, some of you may have seen me out and about the odd time with my good friend Freddie.
Hi Gerry and welcome to the forum. From what yourself and Freddie have said that area on the Dee certainly sounds like an ideal spot to look for barn owls and hopefully the stake out will be successful.

It turns out those pellets are kestrel pellets. I found more today which were darker and I sent them on to the barn owl fella and he confirmed they were from a kestrel.

Peter, I think you have those ponds the right way around, the pond at Keenan's Cross is near Nannie's pub and is not the one with the asbestos warnings.
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 17:11   #638
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnasx1
Peter, I think you have those ponds the right way around, the pond at Keenan's Cross is near Nannie's pub and is not the one with the asbestos warnings.
Agreed on the location of keenans - google maps is quite good for identifiying locations: http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...50983&t=h&om=1
I don't know the asbestos pond but the presence of asbestos could be great in conservation terms, in that asbestos is perfectly safe as long as it is not disturbed, so any development of the site would entail huge cost. It would even preclude shooting...but where exactly is the Togher pond?
Old Tuesday 13th February 2007, 18:43   #639
Peter Phillips

Togher pond map

Attached(I hope) is a location for Togher pond its east of Togher which is east again of Keenans Cross pond.

There is not as much water present at the site at the moment. There is a drainage channel from the biggest waterbody keeping it artificially low.

Might be good for breeding snipe? Although the soil seems to be clay based so it might not hold much invertabrates

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Louth Ponds.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	72428  
Old Wednesday 14th February 2007, 15:56   #640
ardnasx1
Sandra

Just to add to Peter's directions for Togher pond, if you came up the road from where the yellow wagtail was last year (ie road parallel to Hermitage), go straight on at the crossroads and continue on up there and the pond is on the left. Look for Boycetown on the ordnance survey 36. You can't miss the signs for the asbestos. It was proposed as a Natural Heritage Area a year or so ago after rare orchids were found there which will hopefully put an end to efforts to turn it into a dump or recycling centre.
Old Friday 16th February 2007, 16:48   #641
ardnasx1
Sandra

There was a pair of shovelers on Beaulieu pond today. Last year the first pair I saw there was on 17th Feb, almost a year to the day. They were only there briefly in Feb last year, and then 2 pairs for a while in March. The heronry is a busy place at the moment, the herons have paired up and started fixing up their nests, always a nice time of year in there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shoveler beaulieu 160207.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	72728  Click image for larger version

Name:	shoveler2 beaulieu 160207.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	72729  Click image for larger version

Name:	herons beaulieu 160207.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	72730  
Old Friday 16th February 2007, 20:53   #642
MargaretM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbern
I would be delighted if we took a walk or two along the river. A bit early in the season yet but let's pencil that one in the diaries for later on. I still have your mobile number so I will contact you. If Margaret and Sandra are interested it might be a good idea to stake ourselves out along a stretch of the river and that way cover more ground.
Sounds good to me Freddie. Tommy would also be interested in coming along.
Saw those Shovelers in Beaulieu this evening, they were still there at sunset so hopefully they will be around tomorrow, so I might get better photos than I did this evening.
Hi Gerry k, great to have a new person on this thread, what a great experience with the owls .... roll on the summer evenings!!

Last edited by MargaretM : Friday 16th February 2007 at 20:56.
Old Saturday 17th February 2007, 17:59   #643
Enda

62 pink footed geese at Lurgangreen (per Paul Kelly) today i think might be the biggest flock ever recorded in Ireland. the previous best was from cruisetown and was 50 something
Old Saturday 17th February 2007, 20:47   #644
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
62 pink footed geese at Lurgangreen (per Paul Kelly) today i think might be the biggest flock ever recorded in Ireland. the previous best was from cruisetown and was 50 something
I was at Lurgangreen this afternoon, counted 30+ pink footed geese but unfortunately hadn't the time to do a thorough count (Paul arrived as I was leaving). There were 2 barnacles there too and a nice few white fronted. 2 dark bellied in with the brent.
Old Sunday 18th February 2007, 11:19   #645
breffni

Long billed dowitcher is still on show at Dundalk Docks but some people seem to miss it - at low tide you have to walk along the metal fence towards the bridge - bird tends to hang out just out of view from the quay wall at the waterline.

As previously mentioned, Steve Newton, from BWI, will come and give a talk and slide show on seabirds at the Spirit Store tomorrow evening, Monday 19th, at 8pm - all are welcome!
Old Sunday 18th February 2007, 19:31   #646
MargaretM

The Shovelers were showing well at Beaulieu on Saturday. It was a beautiful day, lots of sunshine, there were also Little Grebes, Mute Swans, Moorhens (some displaying), Little Egrets and Herons. Beautiful sunset at Hermitage.
Eventually saw the long tailed ducks at Salterstown today, though they were too far out for decent photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tn_Sunset at Hermitage 2007 6.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	73006  Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Little Grebe at Beaulieu 2007 8.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	73007  Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Moorhen Displaying in Beaulieu 2007 1A.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	73008  Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Shoveler at Beaulieu 2007 27.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	73009  Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Shoveler at Beaulieu 2007 59.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	73010  

Old Sunday 18th February 2007, 20:21   #647
fredbern

Eventually saw the long tailed ducks at Salterstown today, though they were too far out for decent photos.[/quote]

Hi Margaret,

I was at Salterstown a little earlier and the LTDs were fairly close - near enough to digiscope but forgot my camera attachments this morning!! On my way back I called into Annagassan and had a beautifully marked buzzard and a grey heron sharing the same branch of a tree! A first for me I have to say.

Was speaking to Gerry K today who told me of a definite barn owl sighting in the last week. More info to follow.
Old Sunday 18th February 2007, 21:42   #648
Enda

One of three dark bellied brent geese present today at lurgangreen.no sign of the pink feet till 4pm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kicx1457 (4).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	73061  
Old Monday 19th February 2007, 23:17   #649
Enda

Quote:
One of three dark bellied brent geese present today at lurgangreen.no sign of the pink feet till 4pm
WHAT I MEANT WAS NO SIGN OF THE THE PINK FEET WHILE I WAS THERE UP TO 4PM IT PROBALY CAME ACROSS AS THE BIRDS FLEW IN AT 4PM,SORRY ABOUT THAT
Old Tuesday 20th February 2007, 15:36   #650
ardnasx1
Sandra

Great turnout for Steve Newton's talk last night, interesting talk.

There was a pintail in Beaulieu pond for a while today, first time I've seen one in there. No sign of the shovelers.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: