Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.93 average.
Old Tuesday 20th February 2007, 17:35   #651
breffni

We had to improve our promotional effort a bit!

Had a pair of ravens in the "garden" today - there is a dead sheep in the field next door - at one point there was a buzzard, three grey crows and three magpies - though amazingly canny - could not get a photo without spooking them! I believe that such groupings are called guilds?
Old Tuesday 20th February 2007, 19:05   #652
gareth2005

Was meaning to get to the talk in the Spirit Store for once to put faces to the names but am stuck down the country working. Hopefully i'll make the next one !

Last edited by gareth2005 : Tuesday 20th February 2007 at 20:52.
Old Friday 23rd February 2007, 14:49   #653
MargaretM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Watters
Gareth. Apologies for the delay in coming back with prices. I checked my receipt for Jolleys Newry - I got sunflower seed and peanuts - one was £1.19/kg and other £1.49/kg - roughly €1.80 and €2.25 per kg. Problem is the receipt dosn't show which is which!
East Coast Town & Country Stores in Drogheda are selling 25kg bags of Peanuts @ €38.50 (€1.54 per kg) and Wild Bird Mixture @ €20 (€0.80 per kg). They are in Newgrange Business Park, its a bit too far South for a lot of people. If I hear of of any other place selling at good value, I'll post it here.
Old Friday 23rd February 2007, 15:17   #654
gareth2005

Many thanks Margaret
Old Saturday 24th February 2007, 02:22   #655
gerry k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretM
East Coast Town & Country Stores in Drogheda are selling 25kg bags of Peanuts @ €38.50 (€1.54 per kg) and Wild Bird Mixture @ €20 (€0.80 per kg). They are in Newgrange Business Park, its a bit too far South for a lot of people. If I hear of of any other place selling at good value, I'll post it here.
ardee pet supplies has wild bird seed at 1.50 per1kg 4.00 per 3kg and 20.00 per 25kg, peanuts at 5.00 per 3kg 38.00 per25kg and sun flower seed at 5.00 per3kg, they are located in a small business park opposite the community school.
Old Saturday 24th February 2007, 08:23   #656
Peter Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry k
ardee pet supplies has wild bird seed at 1.50 per1kg 4.00 per 3kg and 20.00 per 25kg, peanuts at 5.00 per 3kg 38.00 per25kg and sun flower seed at 5.00 per3kg, they are located in a small business park opposite the community school.
Thanks Gerry,

I live in Ardee and did not know the shop was there. Cheap and handy!

Peter Phillips

Looked at some of the lakes around Castleblaney last week. Heavy cloud prevented a decent look. Lough Muckno looks good and there is very good access around much of the shore line. Some shooters and boats around so the birds may be wary. I am heading up there next tuesday so will keep you all posted.

Peter
Old Saturday 24th February 2007, 17:55   #657
ardnasx1
Sandra

3 slav grebes at Lurgangreen this afternoon.
Old Sunday 25th February 2007, 20:20   #658
MargaretM

Quiet day out today, the LB Dowitcher was showing well at Dundalk Quay this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Dowitcher LB Dundalk Quay 20.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	73783  
Old Sunday 25th February 2007, 20:41   #659
Enda

Quote:
Quiet day out today, the LB Dowitcher was showing well at Dundalk Quay this afternoon.
excellent photo, Margaret.
Old Sunday 25th February 2007, 21:08   #660
fredbern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnasx1
3 slav grebes at Lurgangreen this afternoon.
Super photo of the LBD Sandra.

Has a great view of a barn owl midweek. I was driving home from Dundalk along the N1 (old main road pre M1) and the owl flew directly across the road in front of me, at what was known as the Marsh Farm. It's the red bricked farm house and out buildings just before the lorry place on the left hand side driving south.
Old Monday 26th February 2007, 08:25   #661
Peter Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbern

Has a great view of a barn owl midweek. I was driving home from Dundalk along the N1 (old main road pre M1) and the owl flew directly across the road in front of me, at what was known as the Marsh Farm. It's the red bricked farm house and out buildings just before the lorry place on the left hand side driving south.
Well done Margaret, I think its the best photo I have seen of the bird so far.

Great news about the barn Owl find Freddie.

Peter
Old Monday 26th February 2007, 08:47   #662
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbern
Thanks Freddie, Margaret's excellent photo though! It showed really well yesterday and I got a couple of nice shots too, I'll try and post them later.

Good news about the barn owl, nice find.

Last edited by ardnasx1 : Monday 26th February 2007 at 14:39.
Old Monday 26th February 2007, 14:40   #663
ardnasx1
Sandra

Here's those shots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LB dowitcher dundalk 250207 (1).JPG
Views:	130
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	73861  Click image for larger version

Name:	LB dowitcher dundalk 250207 (2).JPG
Views:	114
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	73862  
Old Monday 26th February 2007, 19:12   #664
Enda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnasx1
Here's those shots.
Excellent shots Sandra looks like you had great views. was it on the same side of the river as you (the harbour side?)
Old Monday 26th February 2007, 19:26   #665
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enda
Excellent shots Sandra looks like you had great views. was it on the same side of the river as you (the harbour side?)
Thanks. It was the far side, just on the curve where the channel runs off across from the Spirit Store. The light conditions were excellent and when the redshanks finally moved out of the way it gave really good views.
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 15:10   #666
ardnasx1
Sandra

Little Terns Baltray 2007

We’re trying to get started with our plans for the Little Terns in Baltray early this year. Generally we hope to erect some sort of cordon or fencing (yet to be decided), put up plenty of signs, and most importantly we will need to warden the area as much as we possibly can.

Another part of our plans will be to put chick shelters in place. These will consist of pieces of plastic piping. The ideal size is 18’’(45cm) lengths of 6’’(150mm) diameter pipe. If anyone has any pieces of wavin piping lying around that they don’t need or find any on the roadside we could do with them for this project. They don’t have to be the exact size given above, that’s just a general guide.

Volunteers are needed, every little bit will help even if it’s just an hour or two here and there. The Little Terns arrive in May and leave around the end of July so this is the period when we need help.

Anybody wishing to make contact regarding the Little Tern project can email littleterns@gmail.com, or please feel free to post any ideas or suggestions on this forum.
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 15:47   #667
Peter Phillips

(Another part of our plans will be to put chick shelters in place. These will consist of pieces of plastic piping. The ideal size is 18’’(45cm) lengths of 6’’(150mm) diameter pipe. If anyone has any pieces of wavin piping lying around that they don’t need or find any on the roadside we could do with them for this project. They don’t have to be the exact size given above, that’s just a general guide. )

Hi Sandra,

I will check in the zoo for wavin piping. There is lots of building work going on at the moment so I should be able to get some between now and then. My brother is the maintanance man so he might even cut them up for me!

Had a look at Lough Muckno in Blaney today.. not one duck! About a dozen grebes and two cormorant. Very disappointing. It must be heavily shot. Anyway on way home stopped at Lurgangreen there were 48 Greylag on the saltmarsh and about 200 Brent. No Geese on the old N1 at Statoil station near Castlebellingham.

I work most weekends Sandra but am off every second Monday and Tuesday so you can pencil me in for those dates for the wardening of the Little Terns.

Peter
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 16:30   #668
MargaretM

Little Terns, Baltray 2007

I will be able to give the times that I will be available hopefully during March (when I know what my work situation will be). Its quite a good spot for birding, particularly when the tide is coming in as it brings the birds up good and close, so it wont be any hardship to spend some time there over those 2 or 3 months. It will also be a good PR exercise - introducing the little terns to interested passers by.
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 17:14   #669
Derek Watters

Little terns

Great idea Sandra. I spent a few days up there myself last year and will do my best again this year.
I think however that it is terrible that we should be looking for wavin piping at the side of the road or around building sites. Has Louth County Council been approached about sponsoring, or at least assisting in this project? Are there any spare resources for conservation projects available from BWI? It's not going to cost thousands of euros (unless the wardens have to get minimum wage rates!).
I have photographs I took at the site last year showing tracks where vehicles were tearing through the middle of where the nests were located. There is a small pathway heading round the back of the dunnes to the site - is there any way of getting the gate here locked to prevent such activities?
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 17:33   #670
breffni

I can do at least a morning or afternoon a week (weekdays only) during the critical time in the summer.

Speaking of baltry, on sunday evening am pretty sure i had a snow bunting in the queensboro area - light was falling and attached shot was taken at 800asa/100 yards - the shot does not show the bright white breast/underparts which were striking...returned yesterday but no sign, only a funny looking cormorant, showing some sinensis characteristics (wide gular pouch, white pattern on head) and yet another carrion crow picking around the mudflats (for the record there was one "pure" carrion crow and two hybrids at carlingford on the mudflats on sunday - will post pics later...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	snow bunting poss queensboro.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	74012  Click image for larger version

Name:	cormorant poss sinensis queensboro.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	74013  

Last edited by breffni : Tuesday 27th February 2007 at 17:48.
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 19:14   #671
ardnasx1
Sandra

That sounds good Peter about the pipes, plus weekdays will be the hardest to cover so that will really help if yourself and Breffni will be able to cover some of the weekdays.

Derek, any help will be great. We are approaching the NPWS and the County Council. We don't know yet what if any funding/assistance will be forthcoming so if any of these things can be covered without anyone being out of pocket then I think it would be as well to do so. BWI has no spare funding or resources, we might get some more signs from them but they won't be able to provide much more than that.

Margaret is right about Baltray being a good spot to spend time. Large numbers of gulls (and terns in the summer) roost there, plus it usually has nice numbers of waders and you'd nearly walk on the skylarks. Quite good for butterflies too for those interested. I spent some good stretches of time there on my own last summer and really the time always flew by, particularly at high tide.

Keep the ideas and comments coming!
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 19:16   #672
Peter Phillips

Quote:
I will be able to give the times that I will be available hopefully during March (when I know what my work situation will be). Its quite a good spot for birding, particularly when the tide is coming in as it brings the birds up good and close, so it wont be any hardship to spend some time there over those 2 or 3 months. It will also be a good PR exercise - introducing the little terns to interested passers by.
Your not wrong there Margaret! When I volunteered at Kilcoole, they had a fantastic selection of rare and interesting migrants, including Red-rumped Swallow, Yellow Wagtail, Hobby, Marsh Harrier and summer plumaged Little Stint to name just a few, all within a few hundred yards of the nesting site. With all the additional eyes at Baltray I am sure some great birds will be recorded over the summer.

Peter
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 19:28   #673
Peter Phillips

Keenan's Cross Pond

While I am on line.... I have tried to pin down the owners of Keenan's Cross pond and it is proving quite a challange. Two likely candidates namely Tegral Pipes and Irish Cement were both scratching there heads. Irish Cement did own it but they dont know who they sold it too! Its been a long time about 20-30 years since they worked there.
I have contacted the Land Registry and they are going to do a search for me. However I need an Ordinance Survey map of the site. Does anybody have this map. If anybody does could they please e mail it to me(you can either scan it or take a digital picture and send it that way)

Thanks in advance

Peter
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 20:07   #674
Peter Phillips

Barn owl Site

Its me again!

For anybody interested in Barn Owls and their conservation check out this site. Its the best single species site I have ever seen!

Peter
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 20:08   #675
Peter Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Phillips
Its me again!

For anybody interested in Barn Owls and their conservation check out this site. Its the best single species site I have ever seen!

Peter
OOps!
http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: